Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 AM

210 posts, read 412,011 times

Advertisements

Peace be on you. What are long term effects of pressing and releasing clutch on lower back /discs.
Lower back pain?
Herniated disc?
Knee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,098,103 times
Depends on a lot of things including the specific clutch, seating position, physical condition of the driver, method of pushing the clutch, etc. But in general I doubt there's much more effect than any other exercise.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:38 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,542,495 times
I guess it depends how heavy the clutch is and your medical condition.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:55 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
It is more about positioning of the seat and your legs than the tiny amount of action it takes to push the clutch. That is no more exertion than tapping your foot to the music really. However holding your leg in one position for a long time can impact you knee and lower back muscles (not disks, but muscles could be impacted, especially if you already have a disk problem). I will depend on the car. I have both knee (not cartilage left apparently) and back (compressed disk) problems and yes, in some cars it can hurt after a long drive. However it can also hurt after a long drive in an automatic, especially if I forget to reposition my legs regularly.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:49 AM

6,255 posts, read 16,972,344 times
You'd have to have a pretty weak leg or an extremely stiff clutch to cause any damage to your body from clutching. From the factory, I can't think of a single car that has a clutch that takes a ton of pressure anymore.

Manufacturers have all kinds of methods for clutch assisted systems these days, and higher horsepower cars with beefy clutches are now being made with multi-plate clutches to keep pedal pressure down while still providing sufficient clamping force and grip, in addition to have some hydraulic or vacuum assist system.

Toughest factory clutch I ever drove was on a Viper GTS... and it was pretty tame in comparison to a modified car of mine where I had gone with an aftermarket clutch with a pressure plate with double the stock holding power and removed the factory vacuum assist. That car could get tiring to drive in stop and go driving for sure.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:55 PM

18,755 posts, read 27,181,960 times
Cold got it.
Though to press on the clutch, you need to flex your hip, which is your iliopsoas firing, and that one pulls on lower lumbar spine, confined seating position and vibration will get you much faster, than that casual once in a while movement.
Are you collecting info for L&I case?

Old 06-03-2013, 06:01 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,084,412 times
Interesting question.
I've driven stick shifts for over 30 years and have two herniated discs. Never thought to connect the two.
However, I can't imagine that the minimal and relatively infrequent (compared to other normal daily activities) act of briefly depressing a clutch would actually cause back or knee pain.
If it did, back and knee problems would be disproportionately and significantly represented in truck drivers. And since they are sedentary for much of their working life, that confounding variable would make it difficult to tease out any one factor as a cause.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:02 AM

458 posts, read 1,240,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisedPeace View Post
Peace be on you. What are long term effects of pressing and releasing clutch on lower back /discs.
Lower back pain?
Herniated disc?
Knee?
Seems like a really minor thing to be worried about. If driving stick is causing you back pain you probably have a deeper seeded issue.

Also, basic weight training and regular stretching can solve 99% of back problems.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Cold got it.
Are you collecting info for L&I case?
1-No, not at all.
2-I know a dear one with disc problem who drove an old car much. Physiotherapist said he has seen cases with drivers. That is why I asked.
3- Pressing clutch is not fun in jammed traffic which moves and stops by 2 inches.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:21 PM

Some searching found this information:

Quote:
Back Pain and Driving

Why does driving cause lower back pain?
When driving for prolonged periods the lumbar curve is all but lost, placing extra strain on the vertebrae and discs.
What is the best driving position?
Ensure as much of your thighs are supported by the seat as possible.
What can help ease low back pain when driving?
Lumbar support is important. If your car seat does not supply enough lumbar support then an in-car lumbar support can be purchased.

Automatic cars place less strain on the back as constant clutch use in a manual places pressure on the lumbar discs.
After long periods of driving your back is weaker and more susceptible to injury, so resist the temptation to bend and stretch.

How do I know if my seat is positioned correctly?
Here are two simple tests..............
Source: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sp...in-and-driving

Thanks for your opinions. Be blessed with health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive