Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 02:52 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times

Advertisements

What is the most over aggressive type of traffic enforcement in your area? In my town, it's pedestrian crossings. Now first, I understand the need to enforce pedestrian crossing laws. But the way they do it here, is just pure revenue generating.

Below is a picture from the police department, showing a police decoy using the crosswalk. The first issue is the location of the crosswalk. It's 50 feet before an intersection, that has perfectly good crosswalks. Who in their right mind puts a crosswalk 50 feet before an intersection? A city that wants to write a lot of tickets, of course.

If they tried their little sting operation at the intersection crosswalks, they could write about five tickets in an hour. At this stupid crosswalk, they can give tickets to 50% of the cars driving on the street. The cops just stand in the street and wave all the violators into a gas station parking lot, and give them all tickets drive-thrw style, as you can see in the other pictures. It's ridicules.

It's not much of a problem for me. I'm ready for it. I can spot the cops up ahead, before I even see their decoy. But I have to feel sorry for unsuspecting visitors are just out looking for a place to eat lunch, and end up with a $150 ticket.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 03:09 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,241,788 times
What are they writing tickets for? are cars not yeilding to pedestrians?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
What are they writing tickets for? are cars not yeilding to pedestrians?
Yes, the decoy steps off the curb, and any cars that don't immediately stop, get waved into the gas station parking lot, where about six cops are writing tickets for failing to yield to a pedestrian in the crosswalk. The cars in the left lanes, probably can't even see the decoy from their lanes.

We don't have many speed traps around here, so I guess this is the way they make their money. Incidentally I drive through this area every day, and I never have to stop for any legitimate pedestrians at that crosswalk. People just don't cross there. That crosswalk is just totally pointless, except for a reason to write tickets.

Here is the view when you are approaching the crosswalk. The gas station parking lot where they write the tickets is the next drive way on the right.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 06-06-2013 at 05:42 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 06:21 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,086 times
Could he legit or could be a lil shady.. depending on how far the decoy is in walk... if they sprint out etc. If decoy barely has foot in farthest to right in that pic and car in far left lane is right at walk already, def shady.. I betbif people clogged up the local court day after day over the tickets theyd be under a microscope to make sure its all legit.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:03 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,766 times
The Palm Bay Police Dept in Florida is a police state thanks to them. They set ridiculously low speed limits, and all you see are cops shooting radar all day. It's annoying to drive anywhere in that town.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:10 PM

427 posts, read 947,512 times
Yes, and a lot of these so-called "law enforcement officers" would be quaking in their uniforms if they had to take on a real bad guy. Writing tickets - no problem.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,541,852 times
I can relate to that cross walk issue.

I was once driving on a 7 lane road (3 lanes on each side with a center turn lane). The speed limit is 45 miles per hour. Its a commercial area of town, bordering on the suburbs, with large stretches between stop lights. There are small cross streets that just have stop signs. It would be rare for a person to drive a car across this street given how wide it is and how fast people drive on it. Instead, when coming out of a side street, they would turn left or right.

One day, I was driving on this stretch and I was the last car in a group of about 8 cars.

At some point, I saw a man standing in the center of the turn lane. Given that the other cars were blocking my view, I did not see him until I was maybe 30-40 feet away from him, traveling at 45-50mph.

A cop then pulled me over and said that I violated the law of right-of-way for pedestrians even in unmarked crosswalks. The person I saw in the middle of the turn lane was an undercover officer and it was a sting.

It was completely unrealistic to think I could have stopped for this guy given the speed I was traveling and his location on the road.

I decided to go to court to contest it and the cop never showed up, so it was dropped.

The whole thing really pissed me off though. I could see getting pulled over for that had it been a residential street where people actually crossed. But it was completely ridiculous on this particular stretch of road.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:00 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,579,284 times
I pass same set up, 50 feet away from intersection, twice a day. It's legit, as there is a large parking lot across the street from a whole bunch of businesses. I actually think, city did well offering people faster crossing.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:28 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Well, everything is enforced by the North Pole (Alaska) police. They will stop you over anything they decided to think about. So, if you ever drive to visit Alaska, keep an eye peeled when driving for the police through North Pole.

Remember that traffic-law enforcement is not really about safety, but about making money.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Could he legit or could be a lil shady.. depending on how far the decoy is in walk... if they sprint out etc. If decoy barely has foot in farthest to right in that pic and car in far left lane is right at walk already, def shady.. I betbif people clogged up the local court day after day over the tickets theyd be under a microscope to make sure its all legit.
This is California. If they put a foot off the sidewalk, you have to stop, or you get a ticket.

Hell if you see some one walking out of a building, and they look like they might want to cross the street, you'd better stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive