Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 02:04 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

If you like the look of a Yaris sedan and can actually find a used one within a reasonable distance it wont disappoint on fuel economy or reliability.
Heres my 08 on a trip to Fla from Montreal,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 02:12 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
LOL
Have fun with the endless repair bills and down time.

Quoted for truth. There is absolutely no excuse for putting up with the abysmal VW build quality. These are disposable cars.
That's funny , 13 years old and 187k very hard miles. My truck has half the miles and had much more repaired. These are machines they will break , parts fail or wear out. Don't kid yourself they all do it.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:16 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Thats it? I thought hybrid did better than that. You should ask for your money back.
Nope. It's a five seater family sedan. Find better and I'll ask for money back. And as reliable.
You must be confusing Prius with Camry.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:25 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I stand my ground on these cars, there is nothing out there that you can drive as hard as these and still get the mileage they claim. Mine being bumped up in HP and driven with a heavy foot still gets 48mpg.
You keep referring to "mine" and mentioning "HP boost" and "driven hard" along with some magic mpg number. 48 mpg is hell of a mpg for a tricked car and led footed driver. As in - I simply don't believe you. That's better than 94 Civic manual V-Tec engine, and those are about the only ones I know that will tolerate reasonable push from driver and still get you above 40mpg.
So what's the magic vehicle?
As of hybrids.... Yeah, it's old man talk. Same as "Chevy is the best car in the world". Prii run well into 300 000 miles with only 10% documented performance drop. Why do you think there is so many taxi cabs of them? Oh, yeah and for one who'll follow with - well, here in NY Crown Vicks PI are taxies, yeah, that 's it - police interceptor is well beefed power train/suspension, allowing it to run as cab.
But it's an idle chat anyway.... Everyone comes with his own opinion and leaves with it too.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You keep referring to "mine" and mentioning "HP boost" and "driven hard" along with some magic mpg number. 48 mpg is hell of a mpg for a tricked car and led footed driver. As in - I simply don't believe you. That's better than 94 Civic manual V-Tec engine, and those are about the only ones I know that will tolerate reasonable push from driver and still get you above 40mpg.
So what's the magic vehicle?
As of hybrids.... Yeah, it's old man talk. Same as "Chevy is the best car in the world". Prii run well into 300 000 miles with only 10% documented performance drop. Why do you think there is so many taxi cabs of them? Oh, yeah and for one who'll follow with - well, here in NY Crown Vicks PI are taxies, yeah, that 's it - police interceptor is well beefed power train/suspension, allowing it to run as cab.
But it's an idle chat anyway.... Everyone comes with his own opinion and leaves with it too.
That's fine, believe what you must. You obviously do not know the potential of what a diesel can do, especially with some tuning. I didn't either, until I started driving them. I thought they were slugish, noisy smelling vehicles that couldn't get out of their own way. Now that being said, it's no 500hp tiring burning rocket ship. I bumped the hp and torque to what the Euro TDI's of that time period are. Maybe 30hp and I really don't remember how much torque. Not much but when it starts out with 90hp to begin with you really can feel it. Again no rocketship but enough to surprise passengers when they realize it's the diesel version. Diesels will get more effient with some slight tuning, go to far and mileage will drop off. My Cummins with some mild tuning would get 23mpg on the freeway. Not too bad for a lifted , 4wd #6000+ truck.
My commute is 37 miles down I696, it's got a horrible traffic pattern. 85+mph then stop, then 85 then stop.. then after you get a ways out of the city it becomes the autobahn. I see 90mph pretty much on a daily basis. On summer fuel I get anywhere from 650 to 675 miles to a tankful, generally a fill up is 14 gallons. On winter fuel take 50-75 miles from that tankful. A friend of mine has pretty much the same mods on his car and drives a hell of a lot slower and consistantly gets 51-53mpg.

As far as hybrids for taxi's... well I've only seen one but I am in the Metro Detroit area.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:58 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
I had a lower budget than 15k. Fits and Yarises were plentiful. Trouble I anticipate with a used hybrid is when does the lithium battery pack have to be replaced and at what price?

Old 06-08-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I had a lower budget than 15k. Fits and Yarises were plentiful. Trouble I anticipate with a used hybrid is when does the lithium battery pack have to be replaced and at what price?
Someone posted this further back in the thread I think. Something like $1400 and 300k miles ? Not sure though. Definitely not as bad as a I thought it would be.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You keep referring to "mine" and mentioning "HP boost" and "driven hard" along with some magic mpg number. 48 mpg is hell of a mpg for a tricked car and led footed driver. As in - I simply don't believe you.
Filled up today, I apologize. I embelished a little it wasn't 48mpg and 675 miles to a tankful. I only got 671 miles and it took 14.2 gallons.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:35 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
The only thing I came up with in this thread is that VW TDI owners are delusional.

Buy a Corolla and be done with it. Remember its about cheaper overall operating costs, not just whats poured into your tank.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
The only thing I came up with in this thread is that VW TDI owners are delusional.

Buy a Corolla and be done with it. Remember its about cheaper overall operating costs, not just whats poured into your tank.
Just curious but why do you think that? I'm going to be on the hunt for another commuter car in the next year or two and am going to try and be open minded. I've had my TDI for 5 years, paid $8500 and it gets 47ish MPG. It's got 187k miles on it and if i was to sell it today i would start at $6500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive