Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 AM

212 posts, read 1,016,910 times

Advertisements

Without going into specific details on who the manufacturer is and what model car. We own a 2004 Luxury import automobile, about a year and a half ago, we noticed one crack on the dash board and were shocked to see this as there were only 80K miles on the car. Our vehicle is very well maintained and has never been in an accident. We have just a slight bit over 100K miles on the car now and the car has always been garaged. Over the course of the past year we began noticing multiple cracks on the dashboard. Nothing we have done in maintaining or cleaning the car could have caused this. We now have four large cracks on the dash in three separate places, one of them being over the passenger side air bag. The crack over the passenger air bag is a huge safety concern for us. Would it or could it prevent the airbag from deploying? I contacted my local dealership to come to a reasonable resolution to the issue, I received notice that the dash board replacement would cost close to $2000. The dealership representative I spoke with admitted that this was a common occurrence with this model and year car. After our conversation, I began searching the internet and discovered numerous 2004 and 2005 same model owners are experiencing the same issue. Even Facebook page where they tried to start a class action law suit. I am both shocked and appalled at that fact that the manufacturer has not taken ownership of this manufacturer’s defect and submitted a recall. I contacted The Auto Manufacturer customer service directly. After a few weeks and good deal of back and forth they are willing to pay for majority of the repair and leave me with about $700 bill. My wife is still unhappy. She doesn’t think we should have to pay for the repair since its truly a manufacturers defect with the dash. The manufacture keeps saying that since this is out warranty they really shouldn’t be responsible for anything. We also noticed that the manufacturer is providing better deals for those who have purchased the cars new and routinely serviced them at a dealership. I tried to be fair and was even willing to pay up to $450 for the repair. My question is it worth my time to push this further and try small claims or should I take their final offer and call it a day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 AM

334 posts, read 867,401 times
The car is or is almost 10 years old if they're going to meet you part way on the bill do it. Most manufacturers would not pay a dime on a car that old.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
The car is or is almost 10 years old if they're going to meet you part way on the bill do it. Most manufacturers would not pay a dime on a car that old.
Just another side to this, I also own luxury import SUV of another brand. It had similar dash issue but instead of cracking the dash bubbled and blotched up in several areas. Enough of the owners complained and the manufacturer took it upon themselves to issue a service bulletin and warranty extension to 96 months (or unlimited miles which ever comes first) covering the defects in workmanship with the dashboard. They replaced my dash no questions asked and even gave me a loaner for the day My SUV is also a 2004. So some manufacturers will do it if they stand behind their product and want to keep owners happy.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:48 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,759,495 times
I would take the $700 deal and go. Most places wouldn't even go that far after 10 years. Especially doing it at the dealer, if for some reason they do ever issue a recal or service action you might get a refund.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:48 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
1) Entirely wrong forum for this question.

2) From what it sounds like you bought the car used and don't go to the dealer for service, and have little to no history. You are expecting WAY too much.

3) Take the deal you are lucky they are giving you anything at all on an almost 10 year old car.

My father had a 2003 Acura TL. First 2 transmissions were replaced under warranty. The third (and final w/ issues fixed) the dealer replaced at no cost whatsoever despite the $3k charge and it being well outside any warranty. He bought the car new from them, had it serviced there, and when he went to go buy another car bought it new from them as well.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,274 times
I would take the deal. But you can bet your @$&, the minute I had my keys and was paid up? I would let them know how I felt. My wife calls it letting my 'Jersey' out.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:32 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Take the 700.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:39 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
I'm surprised they offered to pay anything on a 9 year old car. The cracks are likely just a cosmetic issue, and won't affect the airbags at all.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:20 AM

I was upset at the cracks but nonetheless convinced its best bet to go for it. The wife wants it done for free so I showed her the post with comments you guys wrote and she now agrees. Thanks guys for the response its much appreciated it.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:58 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:

Without going into specific details on who the manufacturer is and what model
car. We own a 2004 Luxury import automobile, about a year and a half ago, we
noticed one crack on the dash board and were shocked to see this as there were
only 80K miles on the car. Our vehicle is very well maintained and has never
been in an accident. We have just a slight bit over 100K miles on the car now
and the car has always been garaged. Over the course of the past year we began
noticing multiple cracks on the dashboard. Nothing we have done in maintaining
or cleaning the car could have caused this. We now have four large cracks on
the dash in three separate places, one of them being over the passenger side air
bag. The crack over the passenger air bag is a huge safety concern for us.
Would it or could it prevent the airbag from deploying? I contacted my local
dealership to come to a reasonable resolution to the issue, I received notice
that the dash board replacement would cost close to $2000. The dealership
representative I spoke with admitted that this was a common occurrence with this
model and year car. After our conversation, I began searching the internet and
discovered numerous 2004 and 2005 same model owners are experiencing the same
issue. Even Facebook page where they tried to start a class action law suit. I
am both shocked and appalled at that fact that the manufacturer has not taken
ownership of this manufacturer’s defect and submitted a recall. I contacted The
Auto Manufacturer customer service directly. After a few weeks and good deal of
back and forth they are willing to pay for majority of the repair and leave me
with about $700 bill. My wife is still unhappy. She doesn’t think we should have
to pay for the repair since its truly a manufacturers defect with the dash. The
manufacture keeps saying that since this is out warranty they really shouldn’t
be responsible for anything. We also noticed that the manufacturer is providing
better deals for those who have purchased the cars new and routinely serviced
them at a dealership. I tried to be fair and was even willing to pay up to $450
for the repair. My question is it worth my time to push this further and try
small claims or should I take their final offer and call it a day?
This is wrong on so many levels, I wonder why you can't see it.

First of all, just for the record, whenever you buy a new car you receive what is called "A limited warranty". The warranty specifies in some detail what is covered and what is not. Most people don't pay attention, but there is language in the warranty contract that states that all other warranties other than one given by the manufacturer are specifically disclaimed or excluded from the contract. Contractually, you have no basis to claim anything other than what is specifically provided in the warranty. I am confident any warranty on virtually any part of the vehicle is over after you put 100,000 miles on it.

Second, why would you think after putting this amount of wear and tear on a car that the manufacturer is obligated to give you a completely new dashboard and essentially install it for you for free (I saw the $450 comment, but this is fraction of the cost involved)

Third, you apparently don't know much about class action lawsuits. There is a saying that a "little bit of learning is a dangerous thing". The requirements for getting a court to certify a class for purposes of such a lawsuit are long and difficult. No one who isn't a lawyer should really be talking like they are an authority on this subject. In fact, many lawyers don't understand such suits well either.

Just as the others have said, take the $700 and consider yourself lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive