Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:58 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
Ugh, I can't believe I'm saying this. But it sounds like you might want to check out the Honda Ridgeline. It's 4 doors, slightly better on gas. I think you can get it with a rubber floor and it can't tow much.
actually not a bad suggestion. It also has the "trunk" area under the bed, and assuming the drivetrain is near the same as my 4wd (awd) Pilot, i've been able to pull with relative ease a Ranger fiberglass boat and for regular driving get between 20-23 mpg's.

If one needs to haul a lot, then i'd say no. But for those who maybe need to throw some stuff in back more often then they would use a 3rd row of seating in a like sized suv, then it may be a nice alternative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 12:07 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,789 times
The wife and I looked at a 4 door Tacoma awhile back. Nice truck, rode fairly decent, plenty of power in my opinion. Seat was a bit high for her though, in terms of her trying to reach the pedals without her chest being up against the wheel. Wound up not getting it. If I were in the market for a midsize truck though, that's what I'd get. For a fullsize, I'm a fan of any of the Big 3.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:41 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
He says he wants a truck, but dosnt want it to do any truck type work, So the Honda may a decent option. From his description it sounds like a Crossover/Mini van would fit his need much better then a truck. Seems like he wants an elevated driving postion, room for 5 people and their stuff and awd/4wd
Not a fan of the Ridgelines, not attractive IMO. I may use the truck to pull a boat or a car once in a while. Trying to wrap my head around the looks of the Tacoma but can't seem to. The F150 sounds good, but do they make an F-150 that even gets 15 hwy/20 city?

Old 06-12-2013, 05:48 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Not a fan of the Ridgelines, not attractive IMO. I may use the truck to pull a boat or a car once in a while. Trying to wrap my head around the looks of the Tacoma but can't seem to. The F150 sounds good, but do they make an F-150 that even gets 15 hwy/20 city?
I drive a Tundra DC 5.7 but the mpg is slightly less than your current. It is large, great ride and plenty of power. The DC is large enough for normal sized adults, we have a rear facing car seat and my wife does not have to give up space on the passenger seat.

For the better MPG, the new Ram 1500 seem nice.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:09 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I drive a Tundra DC 5.7 but the mpg is slightly less than your current. It is large, great ride and plenty of power. The DC is large enough for normal sized adults, we have a rear facing car seat and my wife does not have to give up space on the passenger seat.

For the better MPG, the new Ram 1500 seem nice.
My Tundra has the 4.7 and the best I can get is 19mpg, and that's babying it at 60mph.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:00 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My Tundra has the 4.7 and the best I can get is 19mpg, and that's babying it at 60mph.
About what I got in a recent trip. 18.6 to be exact.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:30 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
Quote:
the newer versions with the "ecoboost" v6 show mpg's in that range; seems my son-in-law's dad has one that does get good mileage considering the power the motor is capable of. I cant vouch for certain since i'm not the one driving it but it may be out there

Old 06-13-2013, 04:49 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,443 times
Quote:
Id stick to the American big 3. Ive owned all 3 makers, and have family who have had Tundras. Not saying tundra is bad, but it does have a ways to go.

Now, gas mileage on the newer ones is a bit, but not a lot better then the early/mid 2000's. You might be able to get 19-22 highways if you keep it at 55, avoid the hills, etc, but realistic full size gas trucks get 14-16 average city/highway combined. Diesel, its not uncommon to see 18+ averages for the daily drivers.

Ecoboost f150's, EPA mpg's look good, but real life numbers are right around the average. It's hard to drive a full size truck without boost, and once you start forcing air, gotta add the fuel.

With any full size, the v8 gas or the 6 or 8 diesel(depends on manufacturer) is the way to go. The ecoboost is fun to drive though.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:19 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,628,378 times
Quote:
Some friends of mine pull a 32' race car hauler. Car, tools, and golf cart, don't know the wieght but I'm sure it's over #10k. They originally used a 01 F250 with a 7.3 . Now that truck was well worn and it ended up dieing on them pretty much in the begining of the race season a couple of years ago. There was no money in the buget for a new truck , so they ended up leasing a Ram 1500.. yeah a 1500. They pull that trailer with that and said it really isn't all that bad.
Again I am biased towards the Ram but I'm sure any of the Detroit three trucks will work for you. I think the Ram is winning in the MPG wars though. And the Ecoboost as cool as it it, does not get anywhere near the mileage they claim when driving in the real world. A couple of co workers have them and they like the trucks but complain about the mileage.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
We are normally Ford people but my one Son has a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab, and it really is a good truck. Comfortable, dependable, and it tows a car trailer like it isn't there. Dodge seems to build a really good pickup.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive