Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:47 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Since there is nothing cheap about the interior of the retail Cruze, then I'm going to assume you're either lying or a princess that can feel teh pea under 10 mattresses. i OWN a '13 Volt and after 37 years of owning cars of all kinds, from Porsches to BMWs, the Chevy does NOT feel cheap. So I wonder what your point of reference is. Which brings me back to my first sentence.
Maybe the OP should try a Buick Verano. Basically a very nice Cruze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 10:55 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
The Civic is a pretty fail-safe choice. They have done a lot of work on the cabin of the 2013 to make it quieter and are using better materials. May not be as exciting as a Focus, but when it comes time to sell you'll appreciate the better price you can get for it (not to mention the ease in selling it).

Old 06-19-2013, 12:09 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Skyactiv is an umbrella marketing term for Mazda's fuel saving technologies, including DI, high compression engines, unique transmission lockup tech, and weight reduction. It's a way to bundle all of that stuff into one term, making it easier to fit into a commercial.
It's inept marketing because the term is not descriptive. One must do research that wouldn't be necessary had they called it something like "fuel saving technology."

Old 06-19-2013, 01:41 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
It's inept marketing because the term is not descriptive.
Since when has that mattered at all? Let's see, "oh what a feeling" or "moving forward" are descriptive? SkyActiv is plenty descriptive, it connotes energy and energetic performance, activity and teaching for the sky. Beyond that, it's a marketing term. And clearly not inept, it seems to be doing ok. Unlike GM marketing from....whenever.

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro using Tapatalk 2.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Maybe the OP should try a Buick Verano. Basically a very nice Cruze.
oooooo! a diesel Verano might be NICE! I have only seen Diesel Cruze Taxis in Asia, but since China is SO Buick centric, I would expect to see a Diesel Verano there. I will keep my eyes open for this on my next trip.

The Diesel Cruze Taxis are quite nice

(TDI passat driver myself, as well as 30+ diesel Rabbits...) (they were(are) CHEAP ~ $35 - $100 each)

Old 06-19-2013, 02:51 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Well, to add to the confusion, I test drove a Mazda3 and really enjoyed the handling. The power was similar to the Focus. However, the Mazda3 equipped with Bluetooth will cost a bit more than the Focus SE with the same, due to current incentives. Still, I'm considering the Mazda3 along with the Civic and Focus now as its been the most fun to drive.

Why has Mazda remained under the radar compared with the others? I do know that their recent offerings are considered to be highly improved...
Is its real-word fuel efficiency lacking compared to the others?
What's going on with the resale value of them?

I also drove a 2013 Elantra, but I didn't enjoy the ride and would place it 4th so far.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:00 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
Well, to add to the confusion, I test drove a Mazda3 and really enjoyed the handling. The power was similar to the Focus. However, the Mazda3 equipped with Bluetooth will cost a bit more than the Focus SE with the same, due to current incentives. Still, I'm considering the Mazda3 along with the Civic and Focus now as its been the most fun to drive.

Why has Mazda remained under the radar compared with the others? I do know that their recent offerings are considered to be highly improved...

I also drove a 2013 Elantra, but I didn't enjoy the ride and would place it 4th so far.
Mazda is a much smaller manufacturer than the others. In fact, I think they're the smallest surviving independent mainstream car manufacturer. Unless you count Mitsubishi, which is on its deathbed anyway. Mazda is actually quite popular and they have little trouble selling most of the cars they build. They just build less of them.

They're not so much under the radar as they are a niche manufacturer. They exclusively build athletic, responsive, fun-to-drive cars. If you want a smooth and quiet highway cruiser, Mazda doesn't want your business, and they're generally not afraid to tell you that.

Oh, Mazda3 has one disadvantage. It's basically in it's last year or two of this design (thank god, the grin is pretty bad). A redesign is due to drop sometime in 2014 as a M.Y. 2015. Someone caught a photo of the redesign early..or at least what looks like the redesign.

Photo courtesy of Jalopnik.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Mazda, like Subaru, has an identity. They are what they are. You either like them or you don't care for them. Ford, for example, I like their trucks, but not their cars.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:30 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
I'd look at the KIA Forte too, but that's just me. Bang for the buck, big warranty. I drive a Soul and am quite pleased with it. Five years ago I'd have laughed in your face if you told me I'd be driving a tall wagon in a few years.

npaladin gives a good explanation of Mazda's current status.

I'd have no problem with a Civic. Excellent drivability and MPG, you won't see much price discounting.
My aunt had a Civic hybrid a few years ago. Cousin talked her into it I suspect. Rode like a dump truck.

Quote:
I've mostly narrowed it down to the 2013 Focus SE and Civic LX. I've test driven both, and although the Focus is more powerful, I love the look and feel of the Civic's interior.

My concern with the Ford is that, even though it is cheaper than the Civic, the fact that no one knows how reliable they will be in 3 years means that the resale value is a wildcard. Whereas the Civic has been reliable for many years. Focus is perceived as becoming top-notch in its class only recently.

Any thoughts on this dilemma?

I've also heard conflicting things about Android support on each car. Can anyone confirm that they were able to stream Pandora and use the USB on the Honda with an Android phone? I have a Nexus 4.
You can go to the various carnut websites and get some feel for problems experienced and features liked. Also try True Delta (TrueDelta -- Real Car Owners Driving Real Car Information), Michael does a lot of statistical data on reliability, MPG, etc. as well as anecdotal reasons for purchase, etc.

Quote:

There's resale and then there's resale. Some is predictable and some is situational. To be brief, the KIA Spectra was not what one would consider a great resale deal. Yet we sold our 2007 EX last December for about 60% of what we paid for it in March 2008. For more details check the thread about "should I buy a KIA?"

For a general idea of real world MPG, check Fuelly as well as True Delta.

A car purchase is an adventure. Nobody builds junk now, but if you're going to keep it a while consider warranty coverage. Any car you've mentioned will serve you well.

Good hunting!

Old 06-19-2013, 11:45 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
I would not consider any of the ones on the list for $18k, rather get a 3 yrs old much better (luxury, better handling) car. But this would be my choice, you obviously think different.
For mileage and long engine life, a diesel is the best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive