Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:05 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times

Advertisements

In AZ it's illegal to drive after dark with only park/foglights on. Also in AZ your headlights are suppose to be turned on 1/2 hour prior to sunset. Newer cars with the automatic headlight turn on feature should have a rheostat switch to adjust for sensitivity and be adjusted to come on as soon as dusk starts which is about 1/2 hour before total darkness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 08:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I've wondered about that. Lights on in rain is a law these days in a number of states (including here in PA as well). Although how it distinguishes between just wiping the windshield for a sec and having the wipers on would be a good trick. I was driving a Chevy Cruze as a rental over the past several days and don't think it's auto lights are that sophisticated. I think in general the basic auto headlight systems just assume that the DRLs are enough to cover the rain bit. Although that doesn't really fit when the DRLs are not the headlights.
Just to follow up with this, I was driving the Cruze again this morning with a lot of rain. So I tested out that whole wipers on, headlights on setup. And it DOES work in this car. I guess the GM system has trickled down to all of their cars. Basically there's a delay of about 15 seconds. If the wipers are on that long, the headlights will come on (as documented by the now-standard indicator on the dash). If the wipers are on for shorter periods the lights will stay off, or stay in DRL mode I guess is what it really is.

Big problem in my mind is still that it makes people overly complacent and dumb. "Oh, you mean this car doesn't do it automatically?" They'd be saying that even when it's dark outside and they can't see.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:19 AM

85 posts, read 260,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Fog lights, properly aimed (i.e. factory ones, especially since they are usually fixed) cannot be an annoyance or hazard to others, as they don't shine upwards at all. They spread out low, that's the point. If you are getting annoyed by a set, then they are driving lights or they are misaimed due to being aftermarket and poorly installed or due to crash damage.

I LOVE the sanctimonious overreacting by people on this board.
Wrong. Ever had a Dodge pickup, Audi, Subaru or any of the other rigs that have overly-bright STOCK fog/auxiliary lights on coming at you the other way? They are indeed an annoyance and a hazard to other drivers.

Here in Oregon, incorrect fog/auxiliary light use is punishable by a fine of $287. By 'incorrect' I mean that according to the law, fog/auxiliary lights should be used the same as high beams, as in turned off when
an oncoming vehicle is within 500 feet. Headlight beams must be dimmed when following another vehicle within 350 feet, according to the manual.

Furthermore, In normal visibility conditions, fog or auxiliary lights should be turned off.

Anyone who claims that fog/auxiliary lights 'illuminate the ditches to show wildlife' is full of it. By the time these lights illuminate something, it's too late.

Turn fog lights off unless it's foggy. Simple as that.

As for your comment about over reacting people, illegal fog/auxiliary light use is a big problem. Over-reaction? I think not.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:51 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
You also have these yahoos who raise the truck up on big giant tires (compensate much?) who then get behind my little 2 door car, and I am blinded for the next however many miles by those lights.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:58 AM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenningtons View Post
[font=Arial]

Anyone who claims that fog/auxiliary lights 'illuminate the ditches to show wildlife' is full of it. By the time these lights illuminate something, it's too late.

Turn fog lights off unless it's foggy. Simple as that.

As for your comment about over reacting people, illegal fog/auxiliary light use is a big problem. Over-reaction? I think not.
My DODGE pickup has those STOCK auxiliary lights only able to be used while LOW beams are on. I heard it's something about only being able to have 4 lights on and high beams count as two on each side. Makes sense to me! So, at night with no traffic I use my high beams as they cover both far and wide.

When there are cars around I use my regular low beams with the stock "fog" lights. The low beams alone don't cut it with all the deer we have here in eastern MD. The auxiliary lights go out wide and low. I can see eyes in the fields a good bit away. Far enough that I can react if I start seeing them bouncing towards the road. Just as important, they alert me to the deer I know are there because over here where there is one there are more. And they can be on the other side of the road. And during the rut they don't think.

The lights also light up that section closer to the truck so I can see objects in the road which could be a hazard and I have time to adjust my positioning a little so my tires don't get slashed. Might be hard to do at 65 MPH but it isn't very hard to do at 40.

They also help when making turns. I'll be able to see any pedestrians that are too occupied with their cell phones aimlessly starting to cross the intersection as I'm turning into it. Regular low beams on my truck and eco box roller skate just don't cover those spots.

BTW, I'm not full of it. They do help.

As far as blinding people, well I have a little eco box compact as well and I'm never blinded by any trucks coming the other way with their "fogs" on. Usually if I'm blinded by fogs it is someones self installed, un aimed driving lights on an older vehicle with dimmed headlights.

BTW, I would get flashed a good bit after I installed my lift and tires but then I aimed my headlights and my truck is not blinding anyone at all. I've not been flashed in a long, long time. That is unless I forget to switch the high beams off BY ACCIDENT when using them.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post

When there are cars around I use my regular low beams with the stock "fog" lights.
Is that legal in your state? It isn't here.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:03 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Is that legal in your state? It isn't here.
Yes! These are stock "auxiliary" lights. They are mounted in the bumper and aim low and wide and do not interfere with oncoming traffic. Actually, Dodge has it rigged so they can only be used with the low beams or parking lights. If the high beams are switched on, the auxiliaries automatically shut off. They come back on when the highs are switched off. It is my understanding that the legality is the number of lights which is limited to 4. The lows are one on each side and the auxiliaries are one on each side as well, adding up to 4 and being legal. Ones the highs are switched on, another headlight turns on, adding up to four, so any other forward lights must be turned off. Here we have to turn our highs off as well with approaching traffic as well as if following. I can't remember the exact distances. I think those rules are pretty standard though.

Aftermarket "off road" lights which a lot of people mount higher up on brush guards or roll bars are not legal for street use.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:35 PM

FWIW, if the switch/button has this symbol, or illuminates this symbol, it's a fog light;

Old 06-29-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Here we have to turn our highs off as well with approaching traffic as well as if following. I can't remember the exact distances. I think those rules are pretty standard though.
Yet you stated;
Quote:
When there are cars around I use my regular low beams with the stock "fog" lights.
As I understand it, the law covers high beams AND fog lights. So do you turn them off when other traffic is within these 'exact distances'? If not, it would appear to me that you are indeed breaking the law.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:45 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Yet you stated;

As I understand it, the law covers high beams AND fog lights. So do you turn them off when other traffic is within these 'exact distances'? If not, it would appear to me that you are indeed breaking the law.
You just said the magic words. I question whether you are properly understanding the law in your state. Do you have a cite that we can look at to confirm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive