Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,708,022 times

Advertisements

If i go to kbb, put in year, make, model, options, mileage, zip code and condition for a private party sale, is that a reasonable amount to expect for true market value in a private party transaction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:55 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,130,361 times
Dont do it, if and when the car goes bad it will ruin the friendship. But if you must why cut them a break? The car is worth what the car is worth, just because you are friends that means you should take less?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Dont do it, if and when the car goes bad it will ruin the friendship. But if you must why cut them a break? The car is worth what the car is worth, just because you are friends that means you should take less?
we aren't friends. so is kbb accurate?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:00 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,912,729 times
I would go by the KBB and if you wanted to give a discount, go for the lowest price based on condition, but I personally could never sell a car to a friend. If something goes wrong with that car, it is possible that you will have to deal with it. I witnessed it with my co-workers. It was a nightmare filled with allegations and hard feelings.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:03 PM

17,113 posts, read 56,739,074 times
Depends on the car - for later models KBB is OK, older higher mileage rigs they tend to value way low. Condition is very subjective, what you call "good" I might call "fair" and that depends on what parts of the car are in what conditon. I'd be open to a very clean car that has one badly dented fender, but no other damage - I'd get a fender from a yard, get a shop to paint it and put it on, and would then have a car I could probably sell for more than I had in it if I wanted to do that.

If you have a CarMax nearby, you could go with your friend to that, and ask them what they would buy it for.

I have "car guy" buddies I would not hesitate to sell a car to, or buy a car from, but we both know what we are doing, and would both honor the UFO principle once the deal is done.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:02 PM

it's a very low mile late model toyota long bed pickup with some dents to the bed. kbb says 3,500 for fair and 4,000 for good.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:13 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,981,028 times
The same way when selling to someone you don't know.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,343,484 times
KBB and NADA have never, not in one single instance (I'm on there a lot as a mechanic) had an Accurate valuation for whatever local market I've been in. The best way to determine value is to watch the used market to see what you're interested in is selling for. For instance, KBB is saying that my personal truck (1997 Toyota T100) is "worth" between $5700 and $6200 (good to excellent range, I'd put mine somewhere in the middle). A substantially similar truck has been sitting on the market at $5000 for over 3 months and another at a dealer has been sitting for over a year at $5799, most of them seem to sell for around $3500~4000. That's a difference of nearly 1/3rd the price.... a HUGE gap.

Thankfully, sometimes the swing is the Other way and people will list at KBB and local value will be a third Higher. Love it when I come upon those as it's pretty much always quick/easy money. My point is, though, that KBB and NADA aren't very good for local pricing. You *might* get into the ballpark if you really have no clue about a vehicles worth, but most of the time you'll be asking too much and unable to sell with a very few instances where you'll give it away.

It takes time to learn a real valuation, there's no instant gratification here. At least not with any tools I know of.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
KBB and NADA have never, not in one single instance (I'm on there a lot as a mechanic) had an Accurate valuation for whatever local market I've been in. The best way to determine value is to watch the used market to see what you're interested in is selling for. For instance, KBB is saying that my personal truck (1997 Toyota T100) is "worth" between $5700 and $6200 (good to excellent range, I'd put mine somewhere in the middle). A substantially similar truck has been sitting on the market at $5000 for over 3 months and another at a dealer has been sitting for over a year at $5799, most of them seem to sell for around $3500~4000. That's a difference of nearly 1/3rd the price.... a HUGE gap.

Thankfully, sometimes the swing is the Other way and people will list at KBB and local value will be a third Higher. Love it when I come upon those as it's pretty much always quick/easy money. My point is, though, that KBB and NADA aren't very good for local pricing. You *might* get into the ballpark if you really have no clue about a vehicles worth, but most of the time you'll be asking too much and unable to sell with a very few instances where you'll give it away.

It takes time to learn a real valuation, there's no instant gratification here. At least not with any tools I know of.
thanks, that's what i was looking for. are you a dealer?

i was thinking to put it on the market on the higher end of valuation, then gauge it by the responses. it may just sell on the market anyway. the good news is that the construction industry is up here. contractors are busy and this is a good truck for them. it's low miles, decent on gas and a long bed

Old 06-20-2013, 08:23 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,641,982 times
Truecar.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive