Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 08:09 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,352 times

Advertisements

I wasn't talking about slamming the brakes here. I tend to take my foot of the accelerator and let the car coast if I see the light turning yellow from far. This has resulted in people cutting in front of me from adjacent lanes if there are fewer vehicles stopped in my lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 08:13 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
You should never take your car out of gear while moving. It dangerous and bad for automatic transmissions. Many cars also benefit from engine braking while its in gear.
Edit: it is bad if the car is not running. While moving, not bad for the transmission, but still is dangerous, no good is going to come from doing it, and only bad can happen, likely from driver error putting back into gear, or wrong gear.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:18 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
For two identical vehicles, at identical speeds, approaching the same light; the driver who starts braking at distance X from the stop will experience the same amount of pad/brake wear as the driver who starts at distance 2X, or 3X, or whatever. This is assuming that at any of these distances the drag from vehicle components and aerodynamics has NO impact on the rate which the vehicle decelerates. This is simply a lesson in the law of conservation of energy. It takes the same amount of energy to stop identical masses at identical speeds no matter what distance it takes.

The only advantages of early/slow braking is that it is safer, more comfortable for the occupants and reduces stress on suspension components. I consider myself a medium braker. There is no point to approaching a stop light like I am trying to slow down a freight train other than to pi$$ off everyone behind me, nor is there reason to chronically slam on my brakes just below the point of engaging ABS.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:27 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
Edit: it is bad if the car is not running. While moving, not bad for the transmission, but still is dangerous, no good is going to come from doing it, and only bad can happen, likely from driver error putting back into gear, or wrong gear.
It is debatable whether it is harmful to move a vehicle with engine off in neutral for extended periods. With manuals it is not harmful but in automatics you are generating small amounts of heat inside of the clutch packs without the benefit of having the engine running to circulate the trans fluid. Dangerous is a relative term, the risk of the vehicle entering a gear on it's own is extremely unlikely.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Quote:
For two identical vehicles, at identical speeds, approaching the same light; the driver who starts braking at distance X from the stop will experience the same amount of pad/brake wear as the driver who starts at distance 2X, or 3X, or whatever. This is assuming that at any of these distances the drag from vehicle components and aerodynamics has NO impact on the rate which the vehicle decelerates. This is simply a lesson in the law of conservation of energy. It takes the same amount of energy to stop identical masses at identical speeds no matter what distance it takes.
This would be true if there were no other forces on the car..... problem is, there are a lot of other forces at work. You have wind resistance working against the car and you have mechanical forces that will slow the car. For a comparison, my Bronco, a 1991 EB. When I drove it the brakes lasted just over 100,000 miles. The wife is one that drives all the way to a red light and then a firm stop. Brakes on the Bronco lasted about 30,000 miles. My Supercrew, brakes last me about 80,000 miles, her Focus, about every 35,000 miles. Obviously my truck out weighs her Focus by almost double. Difference is the driver. Coasting costs you nothing -it's free. It also slows a vehicle down and can eliminate the need for braking at all. You'll also see a side benefit by coasting- it's called better fuel mileage. Ask any hypermiler about coasting. Any time you use the brakes you should be thinking wasted gas as the brakes are absorbing the energy spent getting the car up to and maintaining speed.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:17 AM

551 posts, read 1,121,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
What is a better way of braking a car at a red light signal? Apply small brake pressure to gradually slow down the car and thus coming to a gentle stop, or to go on the the regular speed for more distance and then brake harder (not talking about a violent braking here)? Which wears out the brakes faster?
lol cant believe you asked that, brake gradually.. its good for you, your passengers, and the longevity of your brakes. The pads wear down faster braking hard.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:21 AM

551 posts, read 1,121,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I wasn't talking about slamming the brakes here. I tend to take my foot of the accelerator and let the car coast if I see the light turning yellow from far. This has resulted in people cutting in front of me from adjacent lanes if there are fewer vehicles stopped in my lane.
People are always gonna be in more of a rush than you (in general), accept it. Just keep doing the right things and be safe but not too hesitant.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:35 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
The only advantages of early/slow braking is that it is safer, more comfortable for the occupants and reduces stress on suspension components. I consider myself a medium braker. There is no point to approaching a stop light like I am trying to slow down a freight train other than to pi$$ off everyone behind me...
Sure there is. Stop and go wastes gas; that stuff is expensive! If I can avoid unnecessary idling, as well as accelerating from a dead stop, then I use less gas than everyone else, but still end up covering the same distance in the same amount of time. In fact, I usually end up passing everyone that previously passed me when I get to the light, because they have to accelerate from zero, and I'm still moving along.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:38 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
It is debatable whether it is harmful to move a vehicle with engine off in neutral for extended periods. With manuals it is not harmful but in automatics you are generating small amounts of heat inside of the clutch packs without the benefit of having the engine running to circulate the trans fluid. Dangerous is a relative term, the risk of the vehicle entering a gear on it's own is extremely unlikely.
I seriously doubt it would be bad for transmission, I would like to see some article or irrefutable logical explanation as to why it would be bad for transmission because that claim made no sense to me.

I never said "repeatedly" but of course some always read too much into it. That tip was meant for those seldom but critical situation where seconds were importantly and anything that could help stop faster.

Also, from D to N, it is one up, how would it be dangerous? Again, it was a suggestion only but if it would help stop the vehicle, even at the expense of destroying the tranny, only to help me prevent hitting a person or going of the cliff, so be it!

Old 06-21-2013, 11:48 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I seriously doubt it would be bad for transmission, I would like to see some article or irrefutable logical explanation as to why it would be bad for transmission because that claim made no sense to me.

I never said "repeatedly" but of course some always read too much into it. That tip was meant for those seldom but critical situation where seconds were importantly and anything that could help stop faster.

Also, from D to N, it is one up, how would it be dangerous? Again, it was a suggestion only but if it would help stop the vehicle, even at the expense of destroying the tranny, only to help me prevent hitting a person or going of the cliff, so be it!
Better to drop it down to low, then you have the engine slowing you down as well as the brake pads. There is no engine braking benefit when you put it in neutral.

Last edited by CoastalMaineiac; 06-21-2013 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Fixing a quite egregious spelling error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive