Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:51 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times

Advertisements

I kept a job fair ad to be a salesman at a Nissan, Subaru, or Infiniti Dealer - all from Berman Auto Group. I'm thinking about maybe I should try auto sale because I'm nearly 5 years unemployed now trying for any Mech Eng, Mech Designer, CAD, or Tech Writer job. I have sales experience from a freshman year college sales internship with the famous Southwestern Sales CO. But I think I only lasted 10 weeks selling kids books, a study guide, and a cookbook door to door. I'm kinda hesitant being an Infiti car salesman because that would be to upscale buyers and maybe I don't get along with rich people well.

Because if I wanted to be a car salesman I would sell Fords, Dodges, and Chrysler vehicles instead. I don't know if Nissan or Subaru make any good selling / good vehicles.

So what do you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Of course. Both Nissan and Subaru make excellent cars.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:12 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,073 times
Go for it...

A buddy of mine got a job as a salesman at a jeep dealer when he was 23(?)....with no experience and did very well. I will say that hes a good talker and would know how to sell anything

Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times
How do you apply at big dealerships? Through their websites or you walk in in a suit and tie. Would a polo and slacks do too?

Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,091,823 times
Go to a dealership and see how the employees are dressed, as well as the managers and finance people. Most dealerships I know are a minimum of business casual. Smaller independent dealerships it can be anything.

I think I would work for Subaru over Nissan. I've never owned a Subaru, but my own perspective is that their car buyers are a bit more laid back, more fun, and younger than the Nissan demographic. They're known for the WRX and their offroad prowess for their other vehicles.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Subaru also has a cult following, to a degree, such that the cars tend to sell themselves, not requiring sales technique to persuade potential customers to buy the vehicle. Also, Subaru buyers in my reference tend to be better educated in terns of what they want out of a vehicle, and seem to attract a more affluent demographic, overall, because Subaru does not compete with Kia, for example, as Nissan does with the lower-priced vehicles. With Nissan, it is a mixed bag, as in you could end up with a customer who wants a Versa and is very price and finance sensitive, or you may find one who is not price sensitive and wants to buy a top-of-the range Maxima, Z, or Armada. I do not, and have not, worked in vehicle sales, but when I think of the two brands in my frame of reference, I would look to Subaru, provided the dealership does not put too many salespeople on the floor who are competing for customers.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-27-2013, 07:06 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Go to a dealership and see how the employees are dressed, as well as the managers and finance people. Most dealerships I know are a minimum of business casual. Smaller independent dealerships it can be anything.

I think I would work for Subaru over Nissan. I've never owned a Subaru, but my own perspective is that their car buyers are a bit more laid back, more fun, and younger than the Nissan demographic. They're known for the WRX and their offroad prowess for their other vehicles.
The flip side is that Nissan has a much higher demand since their primary demographic is Young families. There's also a lot more competition in that space, however.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:14 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,936 times
If I were you I'd see which cars you like better. A prospective customer will be able to tell if you actually like the car you're trying to sell them, or if you're just putting up a front.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:16 AM

865 posts, read 2,160,544 times
If I sold Nissans, I'd be selling a lot of Versas. I don't care for too many nissan products ... but I really like the Versa for some reason.

Subarus are a major plus because most of their vehicles can be had with a manual transmission. Manual trans wagon =

Old 06-27-2013, 11:17 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,936 times
If you want to sell sticks, you should be selling Mazdas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive