Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 07:33 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Speed limits, unlike the illogical "keep right" deal, are the law EVERYWHERE. If someone is so unhinged as to shoot at me because they want to break the law... That is even less logical. But let them. They'll spend the rest of their life in prison, wondering if it was really worth it.

If you want to violate the speed limit do so. Pick a lane, Any lane, and speed right on past, so that Officer Short Shrift can ticket you.

Or better yet why stop at that law? Use the HOV lane to pass. It's "the left lane", right?
There are states that have laws written that actually allow you to violate the speed limit just for passing. There are many states that there is no laws at all for speed limit and passing together, just general speed limits.

I have gotten out of speeding tickets because I showed the judge that no law says I am unable to exceed the posted speed limit to execute a legal pass. Passing is legal, passing a car going under the speed limit is legal, passing by violating the speed limit was safer then passing and not violating the speed limit.

Law or not, left lane loafers who hold up any traffic, whether the cars being held up are speeding are not, are just inconsiderate jerks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 07:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Speed limits, unlike the illogical "keep right" deal, are the law EVERYWHERE. If someone is so unhinged as to shoot at me because they want to break the law... That is even less logical. But let them. They'll spend the rest of their life in prison, wondering if it was really worth it.

If you want to violate the speed limit do so. Pick a lane, Any lane, and speed right on past, so that Officer Short Shrift can ticket you.

Or better yet why stop at that law? Use the HOV lane to pass. It's "the left lane", right?
revelated, do you get why my prior post was "brisk", now?

I've learned that "but I WANNA SPEED" trumps anything and everything else for some. I frankly don't care if they speed, but it sure would be nice if they'd own up to the fact that that's their motivation for all of this and that they really, honestly do think that the speed limit laws (and, presumably, any other law they don't agree with) don't and shouldn't apply to them, and own up that they're making a deliberate choice to do something wrong and that the only problem they really have with someone not instantly obeying the keep right laws (where they exist, they don't exist everywhere) is that it keeps THEM from deliberately breaking another law. Mainly because if they're unable to do that and accept responsibility for the fact that that's what they're doing, it means that they're a danger on the roadway, and possibly elsewhere if they run into a law elsewhere that gets in the way of them doing what they want to do.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:53 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
There are states that have laws written that actually allow you to violate the speed limit just for passing. There are many states that there is no laws at all for speed limit and passing together, just general speed limits.

I have gotten out of speeding tickets because I showed the judge that no law says I am unable to exceed the posted speed limit to execute a legal pass. Passing is legal, passing a car going under the speed limit is legal, passing by violating the speed limit was safer then passing and not violating the speed limit.

Law or not, left lane loafers who hold up any traffic, whether the cars being held up are speeding are not, are just inconsiderate jerks.
You adeptly avoided my question.

Since you have no problems violating the speed limit, why don't you violate the HOV lane which is the true "left" lane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
revelated, do you get why my prior post was "brisk", now?

I've learned that "but I WANNA SPEED" trumps anything and everything else for some. I frankly don't care if they speed, but it sure would be nice if they'd own up to the fact that that's their motivation for all of this and that they really, honestly do think that the speed limit laws (and, presumably, any other law they don't agree with) don't and shouldn't apply to them, and own up that they're making a deliberate choice to do something wrong and that the only problem they really have with someone not instantly obeying the keep right laws (where they exist, they don't exist everywhere) is that it keeps THEM from deliberately breaking another law. Mainly because if they're unable to do that and accept responsibility for the fact that that's what they're doing, it means that they're a danger on the roadway, and possibly elsewhere if they run into a law elsewhere that gets in the way of them doing what they want to do.
I'd rep you but it says I have to spread around first. Meh...lol

Anyway, I blame the states who are implementing this law, because they're contradicting the speed limit laws blatantly. I say they need to pick one and enforce that rather than trying to step on each other's toes. It's all entrapment at the end of the day:
A person going the speed limit in the only lane presently accessible to them = ticket.
A person exceeding the speed limit in the only lane presently accessible to them = ticket.
A person going a certain undocumented amount under the speed limit in the only lane presently accessible to them = ticket.

Out here in Washington, we have HOV merging, we have lane dropping, we have buses cramming...all from the left into the right lanes. This causes congestion that a "keep right" rule makes worse. I swear that the traffic rules and conditions of the freeway up here is the one thing that makes me wish I could transplant San Diego's system up here. They "got it". Simple and effective: pass however you please, as long as you don't break the speed limit.

Unfortunately, that doesn't allow people their superiority complexes, so yeah.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:56 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:

Since you have no problems violating the speed limit, why don't you violate the HOV lane which is the true "left" lane?
He appears to be providing an anecdote that exceeding the speed limit to pass is not strictly against the law at least in some state. That would not be the case with the HOV lane.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
the illogical "keep right" deal
Can you explain why you think it is illogical? Because as I see it, there is nothing more logical than to have some general order to the traffic. Keeping right except to pass is a big part of the order. Otherwise you have cars randomly strewed across multiple lanes. How can that possibly be safer?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
So why do you take it upon yourself to be the arbiter of what speed every one should drive,isnt that the job of the police?
You seem to have this attitude that everyone going a bit over the speed limit is a criminal when in fact they are just going faster than you and not really speeding at all, all cars and people who drive them have their speed comfort zone,mine happens to be 70mph if i come upon you doing 60mph in a passing lane i'm obviously going to want to pass,you preventing me from doing so is rude, discourteous and totally uncalled for behavious and nothing more than a powertrip on your part that could lead to potential unsafe maneuvers needing to be employed to get around you.
How fast do you drive when the speed limit is 85mph
http://abcnews.go.com/US/speeding-te...9#.UdGLtawQeP8

Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So why do you take it upon yourself to be the arbiter of what speed every one should drive,isnt that the job of the police?
You seem to have this attitude that everyone going a bit over the speed limit is a criminal when in fact they are just going faster than you and not really speeding at all, all cars and people who drive them have their speed comfort zone,mine happens to be 70mph if i come upon you doing 60mph in a passing lane i'm obviously going to want to pass,you preventing me from doing so is rude, discourteous and totally uncalled for behavious and nothing more than a powertrip on your part that could lead to potential unsafe maneuvers needing to be employed to get around you.
So why do you take it upon yourself to be the arbiter of what lane every one should drive in, isnt that the job of the police?

You seem to have this attitude that anyone driving the legal speed limit no matter what lane they're in is a criminal if it keeps you from speeding. Also, that your comfort zone trumps the law and for that reason the law doesn't apply to you. (Last I heard, acting on that kind of attitude as if it were fine and dandy DOES make you a criminal, by definition.)

Old 07-01-2013, 08:04 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,547 times
Quote:

Because the law is clearly written for the HOV lane. It clearly states 2 or 3 or more persons per vehicle.

Some states allow speeding (no set limits, just "within reason") to pass.

Some states specifically state that you cannot speed while passing.

Most states dont have any law on speed limits while passing. This is the gray area. The slippery slope. Many will say "Well, the speed limit is the speed limit." Well, true, if you are not passing. Understanding how US law works, you can build a case very easily for speeding and passing, within reason.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 AM

Speed limits are state law, not federal. You need to understand the laws in your specific state. And the lack of existence of a statute that exempts passing from the speed limit laws means that the speed limit applies when passing, not that it doesn't. You have to take the whole statute and all of its elements into account. For example, the State of Texas has a law that states that slower traffic is to move right, which many on this thread love to use. However, they also love to ignore the other part of the traffic statutes that state that driving in excess of the speed limits is illegal. You can't do that, you have to take both, and taken together, they state that traffic that is driving below the speed limit must move right.

Texas also has a left lane passing only statute that states that SOME, NOT ALL, sections of roadway may be designated by TXDot as left lane passing only areas and that they must be clearly designated as such with signage so indicating, and if they are so designated, that doesn't mean that 20 miles after the sign it's still left lane passing only. (There's case law to prove this one.) On sections that are not so designated you can legally drive in the left lane even if you're not passing, as long as you're driving the speed limit or not slower than other traffic on the road.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:17 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Speed limits are state law, not federal. You need to understand the laws in your specific state. And the lack of existence of a statute that exempts passing from the speed limit laws means that the speed limit applies when passing, not that it doesn't. You have to take the whole statute and all of its elements into account. For example, the State of Texas has a law that states that slower traffic is to move right, which many on this thread love to use. However, they also love to ignore the other part of the traffic statutes that state that driving in excess of the speed limits is illegal. You can't do that, you have to take both, and taken together, they state that traffic that is driving below the speed limit must move right.

Texas also has a left lane passing only statute that states that SOME, NOT ALL, sections of roadway may be designated by TXDot as left lane passing only areas and that they must be clearly designated as such with signage so indicating, and if they are so designated, that doesn't mean that 20 miles after the sign it's still left lane passing only. (There's case law to prove this one.) On sections that are not so designated you can legally drive in the left lane even if you're not passing, as long as you're driving the speed limit or not slower than other traffic on the road.

No one is ignoring it. Yes its illegal to speed, but ITS NOT YOUR JOB TO POLICE THAT. If I am speeding and get a ticket for what right do I have to complain? none. If you are driving in the left hand lane, and a car is coming up behind you, you need to move right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive