Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 10:55 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And it's equally not YOUR job to police anyone that you perceive is violating the move right law (and if they're in the left lane and driving the speed limit, depending on the laws of your particular state, they very well might NOT be violating the law).

Again, and I realize this is a really hard one to accept for some, you can't have it both ways and not be exposed as a hypocrite.
All laws aside, just common sense and courtesy, not even considering speed limits, current speeds, etc, if a car is in the far left and is holding up a car, or tons, then they are in the wrong lane.

Speed limits have been around for a long time. Keep right except to pass has come around because those who dont care about others behind them, those who dont understand slower traffic to the right, those who are ignorant, or those who are just jerks who are trying to police the road.

By purposely holding up traffic, that is policing. Nobody here speeding is policing the road. We are not forcing the slow guy over, are we? We are not doing anything but getting stuck behind them, or passing them on the right. That is NOT policing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 11:24 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Then what's the point of a speed limit?
It's not a speed "guideline".
It's not a speed "suggestion".
It's not a speed "recommendation".
At least in CA, that is pretty much what it is, a "guideline" based on the road size, location and typical traffic flow. After all, it didn't come as a part of the 10 Commandments, some so-called expert(s) decided what an appropriate, acceptable speed for a specific part of a road should be. It is not the final word by any means as confirmed by CA Highway patrolman I spoke to hence their lenience.

Technically, again according to CHP, anyone can drive up to 65pmh, regardless of the posted (suggested) speed limit, just as long as the condition of the vehicle, drive, road, traffic and weather allows it. Ultimately common sense prevails up to 65mph which is State limit. You got a ticket for going 57 in a 45mph zone? Guess what, if you can present your case properly, you can easily win based on what I mentioned above.
So what is the point of a speed limit? A bylaw created as a guideline, nothing more.
Sadly, more people need some sort of guidelines at every place and all the time.
I am glad most officers are not that "square".

Quote:
The speed limit doesn't end just because a lane is on the left, dude.
Let the cops worry about it. Meanwhile, stop -presumably- impeding the flow of traffic, dude.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:09 PM

838 posts, read 2,523,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Let me pose this question: if speeding(minor 5-10, not reckless speeding) is such an absolute then why do LEOs not share in your viewpoint? Even they have a tolerance range.
I agree. Given 2 scenarios that LEO's may observe, which one would they most likely ticket?

A) A car going exactly the speed limit in the left lane of a 2 lane per side open highway, following alongside a car in the right lane going the speed limit and a train of about 20 cars behind them.

B) A car going 1-9 miles over the speed limit, non-aggressive, staying to the right unless passing.

If I was a betting man, I would have to say that scenario A would be more likely to get a LEO's attention.

I get that some folks believe that the speed limit should not be broken no matter what, but given all the incidents of road rage violence, is it really worth it to get under the skin of the driver behind you? It usually takes very little time to move over and let a faster car go by. This should be common courtesy.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:25 PM

251 posts, read 522,669 times
Everyone going faster than me is a dang fool, and everyone going slower than me is an idiot...

Old 07-01-2013, 03:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
Passing on the right is not illegal.
This is not true in all 50 states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
Sucks that your threshold is 5 mph. We dont get touched, generally, until we hit 15 mph or more over. Our laws here can get you a ticket for 14 over but anything 14 and under does not hit your record.
Again, it's not like that everywhere. Some towns it's 1 mile over and they'll pull you over.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Having recently driven in northern FL, GA, and southern SC I can tell you that speed limits, stop lights, and stop signs are merely suggestions to the people who live there.
As a former resident of SC who lived on the border of GA, I concur. That 70 mph speed limit on I20 is merely a suggestion. One that not much thought is put into. And man that might be the longest, most boring road I've ever driven on except for I81 through VA......talk about hell on earth. OMG!

Old 07-01-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post

Some feel it's their right to police the road themselves and slow people down in the fast lane and the middle lane. Even worse is when they do their own speed, sit in the fast lane inside a rigger's blind spot and everybody behind is boxed in beside the transport truck. No matter how much horn or high-beam you flash them, they still don't grasp the concept of traffic flow and speed.
Actually, flashing your lights at people in some states will get you a ticket. Did it ever occur to you that honking your horn and flashing lights makes people NOT move over for you? Being a jerk isn't going to win you any help on the roads of the world. And who decided you were God of the Road? Everyone paid for the right to drive so put your big boy/girl pants on and suck it up.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Yep because UK driving laws have any sort of a relevance in this thread. It doesn't. This is about the USA where we drive on the right side of the road.
This thread is on a General Forum not under a particular country or state. There's no need to be rude.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:23 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Actually, flashing your lights at people in some states will get you a ticket.

And in some states it is the preferred method of nofiying another vehicle you are overtaking.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:51 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
After going through 10 pages of these I have come to the conclusion that most posting their opinions of how others should drive to suit their wants are aggressive drivers who always speed and are stressed beyond the point of hot head.
I think many drivers should have to take a 15 min drivers test, via smartphone, and pass it before their cars will start. This would especially be good for younger/older drivers and those who have multiple points on their licenses.
The real reason the left lane is sacred is for emergency vehicles that need to go by unimpeded.
Your shiny new red Corvette is a hindrance to that red ambulance and can earn you a big ticket.

The best driving lessons I ever picked up on was when NASCAR started putting cameras in the cars for live racing. If you have a car/truck that is capable of doing so you can drive pretty crazy after watching those guys race. You learn how close you can actually get to another car while driving - I have reached out and touched another guy's mirror - but it is more dangerous because other drivers on the road aren't on the same page though you may be going less than half the speed of race cars. You can't do it unless your car can so most people can't.

A secret about going fast in a car or on a motorcycle - look at where you are going, not where you are. If you are really moving pavement you better know what is ahead of you before you get to it because if you have to make a "here" judgement at 75-100 mph you are not processing what is up ahead. That is why wrecks happen in racing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive