Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 12:21 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,285,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Yes they are, the speed of the cars to the left is irrelevant, if the car behind you wants to go faster, move over. Of course the cars in the left most lane are at fault as well
No they're not. 4-lane road. Cars in the fast lane going 90. Cars next lane over going 80. Two far right lanes are full of slower cars going anywhere from 65-70. Ahole is in the fast lane, trying to go 100. He can't get through, so he cuts in into the next lane behind me. I'm going 80. Now I'm supposed to move over because this jackaz wants to go faster? Get TF outta here.

If I'm driving in the fast lane and someone comes up behind me who wants to go faster, I always move over. In CA, if someone wants to pass me and I'm in the middle lane (usually going about 75-80), they will have to get their az over to the left of me and travel in the fast lane. I'm not moving over.

Works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 12:41 AM

14,848 posts, read 21,376,619 times
If everyone just followed the speed limit than there would be no problem.

Speeders slow down, slow pokes speed up.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:37 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,624,936 times
If everyone just keep right, there would not be any problem. If you are not passing or preparing to exit from the left, there is no reason to be in the left lane. That goes to people traveling over the speed limit as well as those who are following it. When someone is done passing, they need to move back over.

If a driver is still moving a faster pace than the vehicles on the right up ahead, by all means stay in the left lane but when the right lane is clear, get over.

Last edited by Phyxius; 07-02-2013 at 01:53 AM..

Old 07-02-2013, 02:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
If everyone just keep right, there would not be any problem. If you are not passing or preparing to exit from the left, there is no reason to be in the left lane. That goes to people traveling over the speed limit as well as those who are following it. When someone is done passing, they need to move back over.

/quote]
Some of the left lane campers are clueless morons and have no idea which lane they are in or how fast they're going or that there could be a mile of traffic behind them.
Then theres the other kind of left lane camper the game player/power tripper the type that delights in not only camping at the speed limit in the passing lane but the type to pace a car who has his left turn signal on so he cant make his lane change into the passing lane,this gamer also likes to move to the far right lane when a freeway entrance or exit is approaching where the possibility exists for him/her to obstruct or block people entering or exiting the freeway.
We can only guess at why people feel the need to play these ignorant disruptive games out on the highway but lets suffice it to say that their desperate need to control others actions in this petty way probably fills some void in their lives.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-02-2013 at 03:35 AM..

Old 07-02-2013, 06:02 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,533,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
If everyone just followed the speed limit than there would be no problem.

Assuming speed limits are based on 85th percentile measured vehicle speeds, as measured by traffic engineers.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:36 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,968,514 times
I didn't read all the posts, but I do have one issue with the premise of this thread. If someone is actively passing on the left I have no problem with however fast (or slow) they are going. That doesn't mean some impatient a hole isn't going to try and pass that person on the right. And by "active" I don't mean taking 5 minutes to pass one car.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 AM

641 posts, read 1,014,919 times
To the Speeders: I can understand your frustration while passing and someone is going slow, but why ride someones tail in the middle or right lane? Is "your time" more important than mine? I highly doubt it, lets race to the next red light shall we

Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 AM

752 posts, read 1,159,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'll never understand why people will sit in the passing lane righteously doing the speed limit usually paralleling the car beside them so no one can pass,the only way you'll ever pass them is on the right. For any of these left lane campers please speak up,make me understand why its important to you to hold every one up..
Just past nigh I pas car through EMERGENCY LINE. Drove for a while behind two cars that blocked both driving line. Speed limit was 50 and they drove 40. I'm an good driver. Didn't get ticket in 10 years and never have on fault accident. But this slow drivers make me creasy. What I spot too if is only one line with double yellow in middle they will drive below speed limit, forget about speed limit + 10. As soon road change to two lines in one direction they speed up. I have big problem with drivers that go 30 instead of 30 + 10 to.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:00 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,946,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
After going through 10 pages of these I have come to the conclusion that most posting their opinions of how others should drive to suit their wants are aggressive drivers who always speed and are stressed beyond the point of hot head.
I think many drivers should have to take a 15 min drivers test, via smartphone, and pass it before their cars will start. This would especially be good for younger/older drivers and those who have multiple points on their licenses.
The real reason the left lane is sacred is for emergency vehicles that need to go by unimpeded.
Your shiny new red Corvette is a hindrance to that red ambulance and can earn you a big ticket.

The best driving lessons I ever picked up on was when NASCAR started putting cameras in the cars for live racing. If you have a car/truck that is capable of doing so you can drive pretty crazy after watching those guys race. You learn how close you can actually get to another car while driving - I have reached out and touched another guy's mirror - but it is more dangerous because other drivers on the road aren't on the same page though you may be going less than half the speed of race cars. You can't do it unless your car can so most people can't.

A secret about going fast in a car or on a motorcycle - look at where you are going, not where you are. If you are really moving pavement you better know what is ahead of you before you get to it because if you have to make a "here" judgement at 75-100 mph you are not processing what is up ahead. That is why wrecks happen in racing.
yes, lets take lessons on highway driving from live NASCAR racing. Sounds like a brilliant idea.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:19 AM

34 posts, read 82,442 times
Agreed. As the saying goes, Keep right, Pass left. Or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive