Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times

Advertisements

I agree - keep right except to pass is the way to go. It enables people to drive at their own pace to the greatest possible extent. Similarly, don't tailgate at 90 in the right lane and don't plod along at 60 in the left lane*. If you want to pass someone but don't want to go with the left lane flow, pull out to the left lane when it's safe and complete your pass as quickly as possible.

*These speeds assume a typical freeway; subtract accordingly for neighborhood streets and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 10:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
To the Speeders: I can understand your frustration while passing and someone is going slow, but why ride someones tail in the middle or right lane? Is "your time" more important than mine? I highly doubt it, lets race to the next red light shall we
There seems to be this underlying assumption from swome in this topic that any one passing any one else is an evil crazy speeder,IMO theres speeders and then theres speeders, i dont consider myself worthy of the derogatory label speeder if i'm in the passing lane doing 70 trying to pass a left lane scofflaw doing 60.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:03 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,432,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Again, it's not like that everywhere. Some towns it's 1 mile over and they'll pull you over.
Reall? 1 mile over and I get a ticket? So, if I am driving at the speed limit, I better not cough or fart otherwise I get ticketed? Sounds like a very draconian place. I bet I would get a ticket for speeding and probably another for breaking wind around a cop? Sounds fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
All laws aside, just common sense and courtesy, not even considering speed limits, current speeds, etc, if a car is in the far left and is holding up a car, or tons, then they are in the wrong lane.
Exactly, if nothing else, two things that should dictate every driver's thinking and behavior; common sense and common courtesy.
Sadly, neither is as common as people think.

PS. I think speed limits for streets should be a range, with a 10 or 15 mile range so no one can go faster or slower.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 07-02-2013 at 12:00 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 12:59 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
There seems to be this underlying assumption from swome in this topic that any one passing any one else is an evil crazy speeder,IMO theres speeders and then theres speeders, i dont consider myself worthy of the derogatory label speeder if i'm in the passing lane doing 70 trying to pass a left lane scofflaw doing 60.
And if the speed limit is 70, you're not worthy of the label speeder. If it's 60, you are - that's the very definition of "speeder", one who exceeds the legal speed limit.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Reall? 1 mile over and I get a ticket? So, if I am driving at the speed limit, I better not cough or fart otherwise I get ticketed? Sounds like a very draconian place. I bet I would get a ticket for speeding and probably another for breaking wind around a cop? Sounds fair.

Exactly, if nothing else, two things that should dictate every driver's thinking and behavior; common sense and common courtesy.
Sadly, neither is as common as people think.

PS. I think speed limits for streets should be a range, with a 10 or 15 mile range so no one can go faster or slower.
Let me guess, you'd be the one driving at the top of the range?

Old 07-02-2013, 01:08 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And if the speed limit is 70, you're not worthy of the label speeder. If it's 60, you are - that's the very definition of "speeder", one who exceeds the legal speed limit.
OK, so there are slow speeders, and fast speeders. both are wrong, but the slow speeder holding up traffic is possibly committing 2 or more violations by impeding traffic. So, they are more wrong.

What does the speed limit sign mean if its not enforced. If the flow is going 10 over, and the cops are allowing it and not enforcing it until 11 over, then the speed limit is actually 10 over at that point. The paper books may say one thing, but it means nothing if its not enforced.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:16 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
So you just stay out of the passing lane and our encounter will be brief no matter what the speed

Old 07-02-2013, 01:50 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:

I see many speeding cops.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:53 PM

And they are wrong, as well, if they're not using their lights/siren. No one has said that cops are all perfectly aware of or even all obey the law. If they were all perfectly aware of, stops for driving in the left lane without passing being thrown out (along with the drug arrest as a result) would not be part of case law.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:01 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,150 times
Quote:
And they are wrong, as well, if they're not using their lights/siren. No one has said that cops are all perfectly aware of or even all obey the law. If they were all perfectly aware of, stops for driving in the left lane without passing being thrown out (along with the drug arrest as a result) would not be part of case law.

They are not wrong, nor is the rest of the flow. The speed limit sign is whats wrong. Probably overdue for a engineering evaluation. The one thats wrong is the one holding up traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive