Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 03:32 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
These left lane slowpokes in California are killing me

I blame the demise of drivers' ed in too many states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 07:47 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
I got passed a lot on the right side today. The road leading in is 4 lane but the strip is solid commercial. People pulling out of gas stations and such peeling rubber to get gone. No way I'm getting in their way. Didn't want to be the meat in the sandwich between them and the car turning in in front of them.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:18 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
In the first video, the driver wasn't able to move over because there were cars there. In the second video, there was a time when there were cars in the right lane and the driver would have been very close to them. Maybe they weren't comfortable climbing up someone's butt. After the vehicles exit, no idea why they didn't move over. Maybe they were tired of someone riding their rear end and just chose to ignore them. That stretch of I90 does have a ton of merging and exiting traffic so I could see why someone wouldn't want to be in the right lane.
I couldn't see it very well, but the second video, the minivan had what looked like Maine plates on. The law in Maine pretty much the same as in Massachusetts--keep right except to pass--so the van driver definitely should have known better, and should not have even entered that lane in the first place if there was no intention to overtake anyone.

Reminds me of "Timidicus" from this video:

Freewayphobia (1965) - YouTube

Old 07-07-2013, 01:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And when someone is speeding, they are not obeying the law. What do you not get about the fact that BOTH are wrong and BOTH are dangerous and cause problems for other drivers on the roadways?

And it wasn't all emotion, but I'm sure you had an emotional reaction to it. And I'm pretty sure why you did.
You seem obsessed with people strictly obeying the law,if you are that concerned how about instead of perpetrating your needing to control others on motorists who might be doing 10 over the speed limit in the passing lane why not go to that part of downtown and round up all the drug pushers,prostitutes,underage drinkers, illegals etc. you could do the citizens arrest thing big time or does your brand of law enforcement only happen when you can use your vehicle to block people in the passing lane?

Old 07-07-2013, 01:27 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,232,095 times
I'll repeat again You guys are lucky you don't drive in Sydney, Australia. California is utopia compared to Sydney. The drivers here have absolutley no clue.

Generally speaking anyone who does over 60mph on the highway (freeway) is consider a 'hoon'

The drivers here are very in-consistent, no one is flowing, everyone is doing different speeds, you have two types of people, the people doing 45mph and the high speeders doing a mighty 62mph.

In their efforts to slow people down even further, sleeping in the right lane (fast lane) is perfectly acceptable, as it discourages 'hooning'

Put it this way, when you're doing 60mph in the freeways in Sydney you are passing everyone lol

The root problem is small number of very narrow lanes. The widest freeway here has only 4 very narrow lanes. And you have to negotiate the roads with 18-wheelers who are the majority.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:42 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Reading parts of this thread, the most interesting thing is finding how many idiots take great pleasure to install dash cams in their cars/trucks so as to document what they see as the shortcomings of others while patting themselves on the back for being such virtuous drivers. I'm surprised at how many dash cam videos are out there on YouTube. Get a life, people!

Old 07-07-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Reading parts of this thread, the most interesting thing is finding how many idiots take great pleasure to install dash cams in their cars/trucks so as to document what they see as the shortcomings of others while patting themselves on the back for being such virtuous drivers. I'm surprised at how many dash cam videos are out there on YouTube. Get a life, people!
Amen

Old 07-07-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Amen But you know on second thought I think I'll get two. One for my speedometer and on for the traffic. Nothing like have proof of the maniacs.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Amen But you know on second thought I think I'll get two. One for my speedometer and on for the traffic. Nothing like have proof of the maniacs.
I guess dash cameras have their uses in capturing accidents or reckless activity on the road or the occasional meteor but i hardly think the police will be interested in a citizen bringing in a 30 minute loop of film showing cars in the passing lane passing cars in the slower lane.In fact what kind of person would even bother with such triviality? Oh yeah
However if the state has a keep right except to pass law and it can be documented that some one was holding up much traffic and causing people into dangerous maneuvers or perhaps being the cause of an accident as people attempt to pass the slow moving left lane camper they might be a little more interested in the evidence that camera brings to bear..

Heres a typical interstate drive up I-95,, are some of you telling me that all the people using the passing lane are in some way crazy speeders?
Driving up Interstate 95 in Florida - YouTube

This is crazy=
Crazy Motorcycle Rider - YouTube

or this
Car Skating in Saudia Arabia, skating in streets , Street Surfers - YouTube

And of course our highway vigilante making sure every one goes the speed limit
Extreme Road Rage on 880N - 04/27/13 at ~09:45 - Camry 3RTL661 - YouTube

Last edited by jambo101; 07-07-2013 at 08:31 AM..

Old 07-07-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I guess dash cameras have their uses in capturing accidents or reckless activity on the road or the occasional meteor but i hardly think the police will be interested in a citizen bringing in a 30 minute loop of film showing cars in the passing lane passing cars in the slower lane.In fact what kind of person would even bother with such triviality? Oh yeah
However if the state has a keep right except to pass law and it can be documented that some one was holding up much traffic and causing people into dangerous maneuvers or perhaps being the cause of an accident as people attempt to pass the slow moving left lane camper they might be a little more interested in the evidence that camera brings to bear..

Heres a typical interstate drive up I-95,, are some of you telling me that all the people using the passing lane are in some way crazy speeders?

Driving up Interstate 95 in Florida - YouTube
I travel I-95 on a daily basis. You should see what goes on in the construction zone where driving on the left is a needed safety requirements where the jerks pull over and pass way above the speed limits right by the workers. No need to show the cops. Just send them to the FDLE for review and one copy to Fox News.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive