Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 08:17 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times

Advertisements

That is by now means typical in my area of I-95. Try the Miami drag way. The gunrunners and drug runners alley. From Florence in the Carolinas to Miami. Especially when snowbirds for evacuating or arriving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
That is by now means typical in my area of I-95. Try the Miami drag way. The gunrunners and drug runners alley. From Florence in the Carolinas to Miami. Especially when snowbirds for evacuating or arriving.
The links were meant as an example of normal everyday driving on major highways to show that people who use the left lane for passing are usually not all crazy speeders but just people going faster than you and using the passing lane to pass,
Then theres some example links to real crazy driving hopefully you'll notice the difference and understand the point i'm trying to make..

Old 07-07-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The links were meant as an example of normal everyday driving on major highways to show that people who use the left lane for passing are usually not all crazy speeders but just people going faster than you and using the passing lane to pass,
Then theres some example links to real crazy driving hopefully you'll notice the difference and understand the point i'm trying to make..
I understand. I've seen what you posted for miles on end. It's just that is the exception and not the rule in many areas that not many see.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 07-07-2013 at 09:07 AM..

Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Can you explain to us how it's even possible to speed in heavy traffic?
You've never seen a car speeding, going in and out of traffic, cutting everyone off in the process, just so they can get ahead a few more cars?

Happens here in SoCal everyday around 2-4pm when traffic is heavy, but not stopped. I'd say, the flow is going about 55mph, maybe less, and no one likes going 55 on the freeway when you can do 80 typically.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
You've never seen a car speeding, going in and out of traffic, cutting everyone off in the process, just so they can get ahead a few more cars?

Happens here in SoCal everyday around 2-4pm when traffic is heavy, but not stopped. I'd say, the flow is going about 55mph, maybe less, and no one likes going 55 on the freeway when you can do 80 typically.
It's worse in Orlando. People pass on both shoulders of the road. Anything to gain a single car link.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:15 AM

437 posts, read 649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
The weird thing about California slowpokes is the split personality disorder. They'll crap and fart down the road in the left lane while in California, but they cross the border from California into Nevada and Arizona, all hell breaks loose. They suddenly become maniacs, weaving through traffic at 95mph, tailgating everyone who comes into view, throwing up middle fingers and blasting horns.

Same thing happens with Wisconsin drivers once they cross the Illinois border. They'll go 63mph in Wisconsin (in the left lane), but there's a magical transition around the border. Even though the speed limit drops, they somehow decide that although they were happy holding up 7 miles of traffic between Milwaukee and the border, they've suddenly decided that they are happy going 85 and that everyone else has suddenly become slowpokes.
Being a Chicago gal, I know the reason the WI folk slow down once they cross over the Cheddar Curtain... it's a fear of being ticketed by IL State Popo. Same reason we in IL slow down the minute we cross into Beer and Brat Land.... the WI Popo just LOVE us "fibbies".

I drive fast. I drive responsibly fast. I am aggressive only when I need to save my life or am on my motorcycle. Reading a lot of responses opposing the OP's original post makes me realize why Road Rage is such the rage..... Ya'll who can't move yer arse over need to get off the road, PERIOD. And since that's not gonna happen, just as "common courtesy" is a myth, we all have to chillax and learn how to survive.

For me, that means being aggressive if I need be, or just going with the flow when it would behoove me to do so. I'd rather not bob and weave my way "to the front of the line" if it means some jagoff is gonna drive up next to me and pop a cap in my car. And yet, I take my chances when I feel it's safe. Left hand is for speeding UP to pass, then get over. My take.

Oh, and I want to publicly tell the OP: I LOVE YOU!! GREAT POST. *wipes tears from eyes*

bullie~

Old 07-07-2013, 09:19 AM

There are times when the flow of traffic is so heavy the right lane can't carry it. 90% of the traffic in the right lane so a few can drive like NASCAR is just stupid. I had an impatient cyclist dart around my back side and pass on the right yesterday while I was ten over only to cut right back in front of me and blow the cobs out. He was waiting at the next light for me to be on his bumper for a change. He won't be on the road much longer but a statistic. One way or another. His plate had expired last February. One of those real responsible guys with no helmet, no jacket, road rash in the making.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:25 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,507 times
In Europe you flash your lights for someone to move over and let you pass. Americans don't seem to get this.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:35 AM

I have people flash lights when I'm ten over and no place to safely move over due to solid line of traffic in right lane. What they don't get is that they are driving aggressively. I'm not squeezing in and cause a wreck over someone's impatience.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:58 AM

437 posts, read 649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
In Europe you flash your lights for someone to move over and let you pass. Americans don't seem to get this.
You do that in some neighborhoods in Chicago, it's viewed as a gang signal..... and it could be the last thing you do.

bullie~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive