Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
In Europe you flash your lights for someone to move over and let you pass. Americans don't seem to get this.
In Europe they have many different cultural customs than we do here in America. Bottom line: So what? This isn't Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
You do that in some neighborhoods in Chicago, it's viewed as a gang signal..... and it could be the last thing you do.

bullie~
That used to be sent around everywhere, but per Snopes it's an urban legend.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:37 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
And we drive on the right side of the road meaning either right hand lanes. In this multicultural area I'm in everyday someone drives on the wrong side of the road forgetting where they are. Got to keep your eyes wide open and drive defensively.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:40 AM

437 posts, read 649,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That used to be sent around everywhere, but per Snopes it's an urban legend.
Except when it happens to your friend. Then..... NOT an "urban legend". Fact is, I have friends in gang areas, and know this to be truth. Might be an "urban legend" elsewhere, but not here. And since my bud had his car window blown out, I choose not to press my luck.

At my age, I don't have that many lives left.

bullie~

Old 07-07-2013, 10:43 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
In Europe you flash your lights for someone to move over and let you pass. Americans don't seem to get this.

I've done and see this happen all the time here.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
And we drive on the right side of the road meaning either right hand lanes. In this multicultural area I'm in everyday someone drives on the wrong side of the road forgetting where they are. Got to keep your eyes wide open and drive defensively.

This cracks me up. When I "did time" in South Florida, back in the late '80's, I said I'd never move back to FL unless I was blind, senile and still had my drivers license. I figured it was the only way to survive there. lol

Big Bonnevilles, Cadillacs, yanno, cars that surround the driver on all sides, "in case of accident", backing RIGHT into busy roads, without so much as a glance behind 'em..... A haze of blue hair and white knuckles on the steering wheel, and I was outta their way so fast, I'm sure I almost caused some accidents, trying to stay alive.

Ya made me laugh, remembering surviving in S. FL. Thanks, Nomadicus. Me thinks Chicago drivers are the cream of the crop, compared to what you go through.

bullie~

Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
In Europe they have many different cultural customs than we do here in America. Bottom line: So what? This isn't Europe.
Some people honestly think everyone in Europe are perfect drivers and they never drive in the passing lane.
Pretty hilarious to read the assumptions, some parts of Germany are so busy that you are forced to drive in the passing lane. The only difference is that so many cars over there are very old and ugly.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You seem obsessed with people strictly obeying the law,if you are that concerned how about instead of perpetrating your needing to control others on motorists who might be doing 10 over the speed limit in the passing lane why not go to that part of downtown and round up all the drug pushers,prostitutes,underage drinkers, illegals etc. you could do the citizens arrest thing big time or does your brand of law enforcement only happen when you can use your vehicle to block people in the passing lane?
First, you clearly haven't been paying attention as I have stated numerous times that I only drive in the left lane to pass. So that whole diatribe is irrelevant.

Second, my obsession, if obsession it is, isn't with people driving the speed limit. It's with people who are whining about another driver not obeying one law (which, technically, they are, in Texas, if they are driving the speed limit in the left lane and passing other vehicles, and in a lot of places merely if they are driving the speed limit in the left lane without passing - there's case law to support this on top of the statute itself) solely because that other driver is is preventing them from breaking another law.

That's an attitude that drives me nuts because that attitude in the mind of someone propelling a mult-thousand pound vehicle down the road doesn't limit itself to speed of the vehicle and extends to other laws that they don't find convenient and don't think should apply to them, and makes them a danger on the roadway.

If all these people who are frothing at the mouth because someone is driving in the left lane, quite legally, and is not speeding, won't get out of the way were capable of admitting that that's the reason and that they are being hypocrites and entirely self-centered in their objections, I would have no problem (and nothing to obsess about), because it would indicate at least a modicum of the self-awareness needed to be competent to drive a vehicle on the public roadways.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:49 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You seem obsessed with people strictly obeying the law,if you are that concerned how about instead of perpetrating your needing to control others on motorists who might be doing 10 over the speed limit in the passing lane why not go to that part of downtown and round up all the drug pushers,prostitutes,underage drinkers, illegals etc. you could do the citizens arrest thing big time or does your brand of law enforcement only happen when you can use your vehicle to block people in the passing lane?
First, you clearly haven't been paying attention as I have stated numerous times that I only drive in the left lane to pass. So that whole diatribe is irrelevant.

Second, my obsession, if obsession it is, isn't with people driving the speed limit. It's with people who are whining about another driver not obeying one law (which, technically, they are, in Texas, if they are driving the speed limit in the left lane and passing other vehicles, and in a lot of places merely if they are driving the speed limit in the left lane without passing - there's case law to support this on top of the statute itself) solely because that other driver is is preventing them from breaking another law.

That's an attitude that drives me nuts because that attitude in the mind of someone propelling a mult-thousand pound vehicle down the road doesn't limit itself to speed of the vehicle and extends to other laws that they don't find convenient and don't think should apply to them, and makes them a danger on the roadway.

If all these people who are frothing at the mouth because someone is driving in the left lane, quite legally, and is not speeding but is driving the speed limit, won't get out of the way were capable of admitting that that's the reason and that they are being hypocrites and entirely self-centered in their objections, I would have no problem (and nothing to obsess about), because it would indicate at least a modicum of the self-awareness needed to be competent to drive a vehicle on the public roadways.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:06 AM

I Googled "Is it unlawful to speed up to pass in the left lane" and THIS came up. BWAH!!

‘You’ve Got to Be Kidding Me’: Woman Reportedly Ticketed for Driving 2 Mph UNDER the Speed Limit | Video | TheBlaze.com

Hysterical. And GA and FL are passing laws to make it illegal to slow traffic in the left lane. I'm sure they're not the only states doing so. NJ, MD, and more.... all enforcing the left lane for passing ONLY law.

bullie~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive