Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:18 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
If a police officer pulls you over and asks you, "Do you know why I stopped you?", the correct answer is, "No, I don't."
So there's no one around, you're going 15 over, and he pulls out from his hiding space and pulls you over, and that's what you tell him?

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to act like a retard, as he probably isn't one either. I'm not going to say "yeah, I was going 15 over." But I might say, "well, when I noticed you pulled out behind me I was going a bit over the speed limit."

Honestly, I will be more mad at myself than I would be at him. He is just doing his job and I was blatantly breaking the law.

I have had several cops tell me they appreciate the honesty and let me go. After telling me how stupid it is when people come back with "i'm dumb" comments like yours.

I work in quality control in the oil field. I catch people in the field red-handed doing stuff obviously out of procedure and they know better. If they try and lie to me or play stupid I will often make it that much worse on them. If I stand there and watch them not pre-heat before they make a critical weld, and I go up and ask them why they didn't pre-heat and they lie to me when I was standing there for 10 minutes watching, it's going to be far far worse on them. In fact, on one job I was on a guy got fired over it. Turned out I caught him just after he was given 3 days off for the exact same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:21 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
So there's no one around, you're going 15 over, and he pulls out from his hiding space and pulls you over, and that's what you tell him?

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to act like a retard, as he probably isn't one either.

That's exactly what I'd tell him because I'm not a mind-reader and I don't KNOW why he pulled me. I may have a pretty good idea, but that's not what he asked, and speculating in such a situation is something that I'm not going to do.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I do not and will not own a Radar Detector. I simply do not seem to need one. I try to pay attention to my driving and am usually within 10 mph of the limit. I have been stopped a couple of times by a small town officers trolling for drunks after a local party. When he approached I simply asked, "What can I do for you, officer" with my hands on the steering wheel. He took a sniff of my non drinking breath and said something like they were looking for a similar car. No kidding. Blue Subaru Outback wagons are pretty thick on the ground in NH.

When stopped I do not get aggressive or wiseass. That is just stupid. I have been driving like this for 50 years and have received only one moving violation and that was not for speeding.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
If a police officer pulls you over and asks you, "Do you know why I stopped you?", the correct answer is, "No, I don't."

Exactly. Anything you say can and will be used against you in court.

If the cop says you were speeding, ask to see the readout on the radar/lidar display.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:57 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Yeah, if you plan on going to trial.

There are usually better options--best one being when the officer decides to let you go with a warning.

Next best is a deal with the prosecutor and/or court to keep if off your record.

Worst is going to trial unless you're innocent. Keep in mind, it's a misdemeanor, so you're not going to get a jury. It's just you, a cop with a radar/lidar gun, and a judge. Do you really want to go there?

Old 07-02-2013, 03:19 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
I saw a court case where the defendant had a lawyer. The cop had given a citation for 50 in a 35 based on the cops opinion. The lawyer argued that the small economy car didn't have the ability to go from 0 to 50 in a very short distance (less than a block) and it would only be fair to reduce the speeding ticket to a lower speed. Judge said Guilty.50 in a 35.....I saw this happen. It was at night and the cop didn't use radar . His opinion is all that mattered.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:02 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,308 times
A radar detector buys you time. Some times enough sometimes not. What happens in court has nothing to do with the function of a radar detector.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:33 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
That's exactly what I'd tell him because I'm not a mind-reader and I don't KNOW why he pulled me. I may have a pretty good idea, but that's not what he asked, and speculating in such a situation is something that I'm not going to do.
Exactly. I don't KNOW if he saw the beer bottle I threw out or the joint I'm smoking, or if he saw me swerve across three lanes because I'm doing 80 in a 35 on bald tires. My windows are so dark that I have no idea when the cop first saw me.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:46 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post

If the cop says you were speeding, ask to see the readout on the radar/lidar display.
Not all states are required by law to show you the radar. Texas is one. Ive been down that road.

Also. I'm not wasting my valuable time going to court for a $200 speeding ticket when I was guilty. I hold myself accountable for my actions, I dont spend my life trying to cheat people or cheat the system, blame others, or make excuses for my shortcomings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-02-2013, 08:13 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
Worst is going to trial unless you're innocent. Keep in mind, it's a misdemeanor, so you're not going to get a jury.

Many states allow jury trials for traffic offenses - Wisconsin being one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive