Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:24 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,155 times

Advertisements

Toyota and Honda are STILL in the KBB top 10 for resell value. Lexus does particularly well and Acura does pretty good as well. Hyundai and Kia for that matter not even close. I hate people that think these cars are on par with their Japanese counterparts. They are not, and after a few years of ownership you start to see small things break on the car that you dont see on the Toyota and Honda models.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 08:56 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Toyota and Honda are STILL in the KBB top 10 for resell value. Lexus does particularly well and Acura does pretty good as well. Hyundai and Kia for that matter not even close. I hate people that think these cars are on par with their Japanese counterparts. They are not, and after a few years of ownership you start to see small things break on the car that you dont see on the Toyota and Honda models.
They are on par and hating people who think so makes you a bit dim (why would you hate someone for having an opinion)? Honda/Toyota has been slipping for years and Toyota's latest products in particular are a far cry from what they used to be. My experience with Hyundai's has been quite reliable in contrast to my wife's 2002 Honda Accord I just sold for transmission issues, my 2007 BMW 530i which is pretty awful in reliability (although it drives great, I won't be replacing it with another one) and my since sold 2003 Infiniti G35 which had a transmission replaced.

My most reliable cars have been my first car a 2002 Hyundai Accent (the thing is bullet proof well over 100k), a 1995 Nissan 300ZX (pretty much mechanically trouble free) and my current daily driver which is a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

I can't comment much on resale other than to say that its likely on an upswing because public perception is catching up to product quality. I tend to be patient with private party sales and wait for a buyer who is willing to pay what I want anyway so I've never really sold at a price I felt sour about.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:08 AM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Without referencing Kelly Blue Book (YMMV) I'd guess once you get past model years 05'-06' ish, they're hold values pretty well. I own an 07' Santa Fe which was pretty much the first year Hyundai started building what came out of their California design center and it was really the beginning of the company manufacturing seriously well engineered cars.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:30 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
People fret over resale value way too much. Truth is you are going to get peanuts if you trade them in regardless if it is a Toyota or a Hyundai. Buy something you like.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:38 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
For that matter, do Honda and Toyota still hold their values like they used to?????
Yes they do, especially Honda. Check prices on your own for used Hondas and Toyotas and you will see. Look at sites like Edmunds that show depreciation after 5 years. Honda and Toyota still hold their value.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:39 AM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,108 times
Quote:

I had an 02 Santa Fe that I sold in 2010 with over 173,000 miles. Other than consumables I had to replace the PS pump and lift gate struts at about 150,000. Around the same time the paint started to flake a little in a few areas and the radio display would dim occasionally. I've owned two Honda Accords (94 & 95) and neither made it anywhere near 150,000 miles without needing repair. My mother-in-law has an 07 Accord with around 100,000 miles. It's been very reliable, but the steering wheel started to peel and a seam on one of the seats started to separate. My father-in-law has a Genesis Coupe which I think is a 2010. Last time I asked it had about 55,000 miles on it so I'd estimate that it has around 80,000 by now. He has not had a single issue with it.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:37 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
They are on par and hating people who think so makes you a bit dim (why would you hate someone for having an opinion)? Honda/Toyota has been slipping for years and Toyota's latest products in particular are a far cry from what they used to be. My experience with Hyundai's has been quite reliable in contrast to my wife's 2002 Honda Accord I just sold for transmission issues, my 2007 BMW 530i which is pretty awful in reliability (although it drives great, I won't be replacing it with another one) and my since sold 2003 Infiniti G35 which had a transmission replaced.

My most reliable cars have been my first car a 2002 Hyundai Accent (the thing is bullet proof well over 100k), a 1995 Nissan 300ZX (pretty much mechanically trouble free) and my current daily driver which is a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

I can't comment much on resale other than to say that its likely on an upswing because public perception is catching up to product quality. I tend to be patient with private party sales and wait for a buyer who is willing to pay what I want anyway so I've never really sold at a price I felt sour about.
Im basing my post on facts from reliable auto sites...what about you?

Old 06-23-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Im basing my post on facts from reliable auto sites...what about you?
Facts from reliable auto sites combined with concrete personal experiences.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:03 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Instead of arguing ancient history, lets look at today's prices. Autotrader tells me that a 2011 Civic can be had for about $15K. It also tells me that the 2011 Elantra sells for exactly the same price. And I think Elantra is much more stylish. This is as reliable a source as you can get; market prices.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Instead of arguing ancient history, lets look at today's prices. Autotrader tells me that a 2011 Civic can be had for about $15K. It also tells me that the 2011 Elantra sells for exactly the same price. And I think Elantra is much more stylish. This is as reliable a source as you can get; market prices.
Average reliability for both cars is telling as well.

2011 Hyundai Elantra: 9.4 out of 10

2011 Honda Civic: 8.7 out of 10

2011 Toyota Corolla: 8.8 out of 10

The Corolla has the least excuse too given that it's basically the same car Toyota has been selling since the year 2000 with minor updates and styling changes.

2011 Hyundai Elantra Reliability - MSN Autos

2011 Honda Civic Reliability - MSN Autos

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...&model=Corolla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive