Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:54 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times

Advertisements

Yesterday in my wifes 02 JeeP Wrangler 40,000 miles I blew a rear brake line and had to limp home using downshifting and occasionally the E brake.
My 02 F150 truck with 70,000 miles has a exhaust leak "hole" right on the manifold. The header needs to be replaced but there is sooo much rust under there.
My replica Cobra is running like poopies I believe due to a intermittent faulty throttle positioning sensor.
My boat 98 Stingray is having carb issues and won't rev up past idle.
When it rains it pours.
The JeeP and truck have alot of rust due to living in the North east.
I sure wish they would make cars better or use less salt in the winter.

Is this the makings of a country song or what? At least my wife still loves me and the dogs are healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 01:02 PM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
No, it's making a note to stop buying Fords and Dodge products. As you can tell.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:10 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,108,329 times
I have a couple friends that live up north. They all have inexpensive beater cars for the winter months, and park their nicer cars in the garage until all the snow/ice/salt is gone for the season. That's the only way to keep a car rust free up there, unless you want to get underneath the car and spray the underbody with soap and water after every drive.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:00 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,928,706 times
> Yesterday in my wifes 02 JeeP Wrangler 40,000 miles I blew a rear brake line and had to limp home using downshifting and occasionally the E brake.

Dumb question here. I thought most cars had dual master cylinders, so all four wheels would not go out at the same time?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:33 PM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Dumb question here. I thought most cars had dual master cylinders, so all four wheels would not go out at the same time?
ALL cars sold in the US since...probably some time in the early '70s...have been required to have dual master cylinders.

Dual master cylinders and their circuitry vary somewhat in design from one make of car to another, but all of the ones with which I am familiar provide for braking on only two wheels when one of the hydraulic circuits loses its fluid. Having the use of the brakes on only two wheels means VERY long stopping distances, so I am not surprised that the OP supplemented the service brake with the E-brake.

Some are designed with one circuit providing hydraulic fluid to the front brakes, and the other circuit providing fluid to the rear brakes.
Others are designed in a diagonal pattern, with one circuit providing hydraulic fluid to the left front brake and the right rear brake, and the other circuit providing fluid to the right front brake and the left rear brake. The "diagonal" type is preferable to the type which is split front/rear.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:04 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,928,706 times
> Having the use of the brakes on only two wheels means VERY long stopping distances

It sounded like NO hydraulic brakes- like I remember experiencing once on a '64 Tempest- where I had ONLY downshifting and emergency brakes to work with.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:19 PM

774 posts, read 2,603,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Yesterday in my wifes 02 JeeP Wrangler 40,000 miles I blew a rear brake line and had to limp home using downshifting and occasionally the E brake.
My 02 F150 truck with 70,000 miles has a exhaust leak "hole" right on the manifold. The header needs to be replaced but there is sooo much rust under there.
My replica Cobra is running like poopies I believe due to a intermittent faulty throttle positioning sensor.
When it rains it pours.

Is this the makings of a country song or what? At least my wife still loves me and the dogs are healthy.

Interesting that you lost the brakes due to a single line failure. Cars have dual master cylinders and losing a rear line would almost be completely unnoticeable as 90% of the breaking is done by the front. I ripped a rear line off my FJ playing in the dirt out west a few years back and it made no difference in the way the truck drove. I drove it the rest of the trail and back to our hotel before fixing the line that night. I was a little more cautious not to hurt one of the front lines.

Losing a front line would be an issue as the rear brakes on most models do very little and will take forever to stop a car or truck. Either way. It's a minor fix.

Tell me more about the Cobra replica.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,633,156 times
It's a common problem with the Jeeps. Pay close attention to the spots where the lines attach to the rail clips. If your seeing a lot of rust under your Ford check the brake lines on that as well. You can buy pre made brake lines for the Jeep but if you see a problem with any of the long lines on the Ford, you'll have to make up your own. If you are making lines for the Ford, be aware that some (if not all) of the fittings use bubble flares. Not double flares and some of the lines are coated as well.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:33 PM

15,804 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Are you running an EFI 302 in that cobra replica? Have you checked the engine codes to see if its displaying a TPS code? EEC-4 is weird in that only 13 of the 100 or so codes actually trip the CEL

Old 07-07-2013, 09:02 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,237,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
When it rains it pours.

You say it rains when it pours, but it sounds like most of these issues have been in place for some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive