Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:57 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times

Advertisements

It use to be I would only consider replacing my vehicle if it had mechanical issues, cosmetic issues or I had run it to the ground (too many miles). You don't realize how much fun the tech features of the new vehicles are until you actually drive one. I am so enamored by all the computer connected features of our new Malibu LTZ that I am actually thinking of trading in our 2010 GMC Terrain for a new 2013/2014 Terrain just to get the new tech. Not good!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 01:58 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Remember, a lot of those features will be outdated quick.

But, they sure are fun and nice!

Old 07-01-2013, 02:07 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
How much tech do you need to get from point a to point b? Do you drive a lot?

With each new car, I want less-and-less. The simpler the better. Of course, I don't drive a lot and make mostly short trips.

...and I usually listen to AM radio.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:20 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
I think much of the infotainment in cars today is awful. I cannot imagine replacing a car early because of what is in the dash of a newer one.

I like touch screen smart phones and tablets. But I despise touch screens in cars. I hate the blending of climate control with audio. And the navigation in my phone (Google) is better than any car system.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:41 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
I don't like the integration of all the infotainment stuff in cars either. If there's a problem with the system, it's extremely expensive to fix and almost impossible for the average person to do it themselves too.

I like having a touchscreen in my car, but I put it there, and it's just a stereo/nav. I ditched the factory stuff and installed my own audio system. It's getting harder and harder to be able to do things like that though, as more car related things are connected to the in dash systems.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:00 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think much of the infotainment in cars today is awful. I cannot imagine replacing a car early because of what is in the dash of a newer one.

I like touch screen smart phones and tablets. But I despise touch screens in cars. I hate the blending of climate control with audio. And the navigation in my phone (Google) is better than any car system.
I love the connectivity of my car with my phone's bluetooth for streaming audio, both from my playlists and Pandora or iHeartRadio, and I love sending nav routing from my phone to my car's turn by turn display. (I didn't opt for the built in nav because it had OnStar turn by turn nav that is driven by my phone).

Old 07-02-2013, 12:04 PM

33 posts, read 80,457 times
I hate the new stuff too. It would be fine if it had a 10 year warranty on it, but a lot of cars are going to go to the junk yard because the car won't run with out the integrated electronics that will cost over $2000 to replace, if you can still even buy one.

I love electronics, I love gadgets and high tech stuff, but not as an integrated part of the car that nobody will be able to fix.

I worked at a company who built high end head units for the auto industry, and I have seen how complex those things are, and wonder how they can ever last very long in the harsh conditions that exist in a car.

Many of those systems have hard drives in them (same type laptops use). Bound to screw up! It takes a long time to load the software even.

A friend wanted to update the software in his Mustang. Found out the engine had to be running the entire time the software loaded. Takes about 4 hours as I recall (loading from a USB device). Insane!

Old 07-02-2013, 02:13 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,042,755 times
I guess I'm old school, but I rather despise most of these modern amenities. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that I think they make us worse drivers. We're so busy fiddling with our GPS and/or fine-tuning Sirius, that we don't pay attention to our driving.

I suppose part of it, too, is that I just like driving - the actual act of driving.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:14 AM

5 posts, read 8,481 times
With a newer ride i do a bit less. In fact i don't really drive a lot but still i m a bit conscious .

Old 07-03-2013, 05:20 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,081,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
I guess I'm old school, but I rather despise most of these modern amenities. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that I think they make us worse drivers. We're so busy fiddling with our GPS and/or fine-tuning Sirius, that we don't pay attention to our driving.

I suppose part of it, too, is that I just like driving - the actual act of driving.
I'm with you on this. I do have XM radio & GPS. But I put the unit in myself (so climate controls are still separate) and don't really mess with it while driving. The XM is needed because I drive a lot and get quickly bored with regular radio. The GPS is helpful occasionally, but I'd be fine without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive