Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:53 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Parking the car at a bazaar is actually a good decision, as the volume of people at that marketplace should ensure more viewing of the car and a quicker sale. Of course, it would be important to place the car at a very upscale bazaar, in order to have a good target audience.

What would be bizarre, however, would be attempting to sell a car like that by simply placing it in front of one's house, with a For Sale sign in its window.

He was trying to say bizarre not bazaar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 02:40 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
So down the road from my house there sits a dark blue Maserati Quatroporte with a big orange and black FOR SALE sign sitting in the window. It wouldn't be so bazaar except for the fact that this car is worth more than the than the house that it's sitting at. This neighborhood is on the other side of the perverbial tracks, you wouldn't even really call this a middle class neighborhood. Maybe I should give him an offer....ya know take it off his hands for him
The basic rules of Marketing 101 are fairly simple . . . aim for appropriate prospective buyers.

On the flip side . . . he only needs one interested buyer with plenty of cash as I have a feeling financing a used Maserati may be a little difficult.

Did you check it out, Topher? . . . it may just be the deal of the century.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:23 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
He was trying to say bizarre not bazaar.
A little slow on the uptake, are we?

I was attempting to demonstrate for the OP the vast differences in meaning between, "bazaar", and, "bizarre". Surely providing a practical language usage lesson for somebody is better than blatantly pointing out somebody's mistakes in language usage, and apparently the OP did learn something from the experience.

I thought that most folks would have picked up on my intent, but...apparently I was wrong.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:43 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Maseratis are junk. My buddy bought a Qporte as a demo in 2007. Kept it 15 months, it got towed 17 times back to the dealer and about 8 months in he was trying to trade it only to find he was 30K upside down even buying it as a demo. He loved it when it ran. A few times the valet guy had to run back to him and tell him: "dude, I can't get your car to start!"

$200 lunch with clients
$80,000 car
Valet announces it won't start in front of your clients..............PRICELESS!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:08 PM

251 posts, read 522,669 times
I've got a couple friends with Maser's, and they really like them. As long as they are PROPERLY maintained, should be pretty reliable. Service on ANY expensive car is, expensive. Just part of the game...

As far as buying one, I would only look at one with 100% complete service records from new. No paint work, and under 40k miles. Most of these have less than 30k miles. If the purchase price is remotely a stretch, it's out of your range. You must have a decent maintenance/repair reserve on hand, say in the neighborhood of at least $10k.

Other than that, it's a terrific car, very fun to drive, and not your generic Lexus / Infiniti / Genesis / etc...

Old 07-10-2013, 08:40 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Maseratis are junk. My buddy bought a Qporte as a demo in 2007. Kept it 15 months, it got towed 17 times back to the dealer and about 8 months in he was trying to trade it only to find he was 30K upside down even buying it as a demo. He loved it when it ran. A few times the valet guy had to run back to him and tell him: "dude, I can't get your car to start!"

$200 lunch with clients
$80,000 car
Valet announces it won't start in front of your clients..............PRICELESS!
This. I also have a friend with one, talked me out of even considering buying one due to all the problems they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilist View Post
I've got a couple friends with Maser's, and they really like them. As long as they are PROPERLY maintained, should be pretty reliable. Service on ANY expensive car is, expensive. Just part of the game...

Of course they tell you they like it... they are trying really hard to justify their purchase. The rest of your statement is false. They are NOT reliable. Expensive service has nothing to do with it. My car has expense service... when it needs it, which is rare. The Maserati is not a reliable brand by any stretch of the word.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 PM

251 posts, read 522,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Of course they tell you they like it... they are trying really hard to justify their purchase. The rest of your statement is false. They are NOT reliable. Expensive service has nothing to do with it. My car has expense service... when it needs it, which is rare. The Maserati is not a reliable brand by any stretch of the word.

And you make this proclamation based on actual experience? OK, compared to a Camry it's undoubtedly less "reliable"... Most folks in the Maserati / Bentley, etc. demographic don't really cross-shop Camry's, etc...
My neighbors don't need to justify anything, they just have fun driving their cars. My daughter's "ultimate posing machine" 335i has needed more repairs in it's 34,000 miles so far. So you would claim based on that, that all BMW's are junk?

Gee whiz, next thing you experts will start telling me that my collection of vintage British sports & race cars aren't reliable either...

Old 07-10-2013, 10:26 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilist View Post
Gee whiz, next thing you experts will start telling me that my collection of vintage British sports & race cars aren't reliable either...
If you understand that, then you shouldn't make foolish statements saying Maserati's are reliable. Going by it's reliability record, Maserati should be British owned.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Not so bizarre that an expensive car is parked in an area like you describe. My Sons used to manage tax credit properties that are essentially low income housing. The Government subsidizes some of the rent there and there are people who pay only a pittance, like $ 25 a month for their portion of the rent.

When I would go to visit them at work my car was the cheapest one in the parking lot. People who were on welfare and other assistance programs were driving Escalades, BMW's, and other expensive cars. I think their "side jobs" gave them the expendable income to afford to buy such nice luxuries.

As Judge Judy would say, "Ain't America wonderful !!!!!!!"

Don

Old 07-11-2013, 08:34 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Not so bizarre that an expensive car is parked in an area like you describe. My Sons used to manage tax credit properties that are essentially low income housing. The Government subsidizes some of the rent there and there are people who pay only a pittance, like $ 25 a month for their portion of the rent.

When I would go to visit them at work my car was the cheapest one in the parking lot. People who were on welfare and other assistance programs were driving Escalades, BMW's, and other expensive cars. I think their "side jobs" gave them the expendable income to afford to buy such nice luxuries.

As Judge Judy would say, "Ain't America wonderful !!!!!!!"

Don
We did some work with a church on the West side of Chicago, and you would see that very same thing. a run down old house with a brand new Esclade, or a 300 sitting in the drive way with 20"+ rims and custom paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive