Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:57 AM

774 posts, read 1,693,588 times

Advertisements

Thank the Japanese for forcing American automakers to raise their game. It took awhile, and the Japanese gobbled up market share while the Yanks were dragged kicking and screaming toward the goal of product quality, but raise their game they did.

That said, I'm also infuriated by plastic mechanical parts. They are disgraceful, designed to last a few years at most, and no automaker I know of is immune to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 03:36 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
That's an excellent example. Those stupid plastic endtanks always crack, and you're forced to buy a new radiator even though the radiator itself is still perfectly fine.
And in the old days we had brass radiator tanks that would corrode and develop pinholes because because people run tap water through their cooling systems. That's a problem you won't have with a plastic tank.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:54 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
And in the old days we had brass radiator tanks that would corrode and develop pinholes because because people run tap water through their cooling systems. That's a problem you won't have with a plastic tank.
I'd be pretty happy with brass actually, because with coolant, they wouldn't corrode. There's actually a big thread going on right now on 6speedonline about trying to find an aftermarket, all aluminum solution for Porsche radiators because the end tanks crack and leak after 5-10 years. There's three of them... the factory charges $500 a piece. Makes no sense to buy the factory ones if they are going to suffer the same problem.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
well as the GM ex-employees said even with inspection they often just passed the car along with defects to let the dealers deal with them. Automation also play a huge part now days. I can recall when they had a one year warranty then you could buy a three year and now is standard bumper to bumper. Recalls were not common. Competition is good.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 PM

838 posts, read 2,524,607 times
My wife just bought a '13 fusion hybrid. I spent a little time looking it over (I judge cars at the national level for a large club). There are 2 things I noticed that kind of bug me, the first being that Ford did not apply the white platinum tri-coat paint to the door jambs, they are just plain white with no metallic. Having to pay $600 for a paint option and not get the paint color in the door jambs is annoying. The other thing I noticed is the front bumper cover paint is slightly darker than the rest of the car. Most likely due to the primer color underneath.

Otherwise, it looks like a pretty decent car, (although the zip tie used in the trunk was a surprise). I can nitpick anything to death, but I don't see the need of being so critical on this type of car. If it was a 6 figure vehicle, you can be certain that I would note any defects to the dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive