Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 06:04 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times

Advertisements

Not this again.

The automotive field sucks and no it won't get much better.

Bailout why you can, cart pushers at COSTCO make more money and don't have to buy tools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 09:12 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,015,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Here we go again.....

I was making $9.00 an hour at Jiffy Lube as a hood tech(with zero experience), about 5 years ago, and I had NO tools. So expecting 14-15 per hour should not be out of reach.
i asked this question when i was an entry level technician.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
How old are you? What kind of school/ training do you have?
Where did you work before and where are you trying to work now?
i went to lincoln tech

i have 2 years of experience in the field.

im currently working at a kia dealership.

and im trying to relocate to houston tx as a c level technician.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Even a C level tech wi their own tools should be making no less than $14-15 an hour. I would start looking elsewhere, like not in PA. I've hit the point in my career where I pretty much tell employers what they're going to pay me......and it works. Currently L1/2 master certified, automotive and heavy truck. 17 years experience.

I'm currently making $28 hr. HOURLY, not flat rate. FWIW, get out of the car business and move to heavy truck. That's where the money is. You will get there eventually if you're serious about your career.
i will be moving to houston texas.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Veyron, I'm thinking the market is local in Houston, and what you made in PA may or may not have much to do with it. If you start at say $15/hour at a good shop, if you are good, if they see you are worth more than that they will give you a raise, if not you can move to a different shop.

I would concentrate more on finding a shop you want to work at, than the starting salary.
everybody keeps saying 15 which would be awesome. i thought 12$ an hr would be too much.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:21 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
The wrench turning business is totally different than it was 10-15 years ago. Used to be that a technician could get by with on the job experience, but since the advent of computers and fuel injection the whole game has changed.

I am a pretty fair mechanic and build hot rods as a pretty serious hobbyist, but I don't even open the hood of my newer daily driver because there are things under there I have never seen and do not understand. If you can not diagnose a car with sophisticated electronic equipment today you are SOL. Our techs at a marina I worked at kept going to school to upgrade their rankings and also to learn new methods to diagnose and repair engines and drivetrains.

At $10 per hour you are only seen as being slightly better than a McDonalds employee, and you will not really advance until you get some education and wall plaques to your credit.

Don

Old 07-12-2013, 10:32 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
i asked this question when i was an entry level technician.
Not to be mean. But if you typed up my work order like you did this thread I would ask for a different mechanic. I carry a dictionary in my tool box and learned how to use the capital key back in 1974. Details matter.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Took 17 posts for a good learning advice.

17 yrs ago as an independent made $48 an hr fixing and rebuilding engines.

Dealers rate was $60 an hr then....now probably around a $100 an hr.......inflation and all.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:58 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The wrench turning business is totally different than it was 10-15 years ago. Used to be that a technician could get by with on the job experience, but since the advent of computers and fuel injection the whole game has changed.

I am a pretty fair mechanic and build hot rods as a pretty serious hobbyist, but I don't even open the hood of my newer daily driver because there are things under there I have never seen and do not understand. If you can not diagnose a car with sophisticated electronic equipment today you are SOL. Our techs at a marina I worked at kept going to school to upgrade their rankings and also to learn new methods to diagnose and repair engines and drivetrains.

At $10 per hour you are only seen as being slightly better than a McDonalds employee, and you will not really advance until you get some education and wall plaques to your credit.

Don
Work for a decent shop or a good dealer and they will be glad to train you periodically and keep you up on the newest technology.
Also, problem is with some techs, they are too proud to learn. Much less learn from a newer guy in the shop who was probably trained in newer stuff in school.

If OP is serious about the Automotive field, you can make some decent money. If you were making 9-10 hr range at a dealer, I assume you were still in the entry level somewhat? Most lube techs start around there. Moving to a new place, dont turn away a lube tech job if it's a foot in the door to a good dealer though. Once you learn more and move up, you can get closer to the teens and in a few years, I don't see why a good tech couldn't get into the twenties.
You gotta bust your butt though and learn as much as you can. You're not gonna be the guy they promote to the next level if all you know is brakes for example, no matter how hard you work. Now would be a good time to get in because of the EVs coming out and the boomers retiring.

Few key things.
Turning hours is the main way to make money. This means knowing the craft, and busting butt sweating.
It's a tough field, and will wear you down physically. May want to consider other areas of Automotive as future moves.
There may be drama aka politics that get in the way. The way I work is no loyalty to anyone and no fighting for work/tickets. Friendly but firm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Not to be mean. But if you typed up my work order like you did this thread I would ask for a different mechanic. I carry a dictionary in my tool box and learned how to use the capital key back in 1974. Details matter.
Not to be mean, but if you carry a dictionary in your tool box, then English class should be taken before going to any tech school. And most places, techs don't write up the work order. There's a service writer for that.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:48 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
i went to lincoln tech

i have 2 years of experience in the field.

im currently working at a kia dealership.

and im trying to relocate to houston tx as a c level technician.
You should be able to at least get a job. Where, and how much you get paid, will depend on the local conditions.

Go get 'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive