Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:26 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times

Advertisements

I'll stop if I see someone backing out. I'll also go forward/backward if a car is trying to get into the parking lot and that makes it easier for them. I'll also try not to claim parking spot if I see someone else has an eye on it and has been waiting for it longer than me. I also try to park a bit away from the crowd so that it is not next to someone who is just trying to exit from his/her car. I will also not load my grocery by parking car on Fire lane so that I can avoid moving card by 100 ft. I also wait for people who are exiting from the super market and such and trying to get to their cars even though they are not walking on pedestrians crosswalk. I am sure I am missing some but this is all common sense and should be applied when driving or parking or backing out or trying to exit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 12:37 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm glad someone raised this issue. I've been rammed a couple of times by trucks that come barreling into a parking lot from the street, without watching where they're going. Once I was slowly making my way to an exit at the far end of the lot, when a truck came rushing in from the street, headed right for the rear of the lot, and the driver didn't see me right in front of him, because he was scanning for parking spaces. The other time, someone came in from the street (same parking lot), and veered into a parking lane where I was already in mid-back-up, and ran into me. There was no one there when I began my back-up. This truck suddenly appeared from the street-entrance lane and creamed me. And because the law says I was the one backing up, therefore the one at fault, guess who had to pay for the damage to the truck?

My point is that this law that says the person backing out of a parking spot is always at fault seems to encourage recklessness on the part of others. I was wondering what the readership has to say on that score.
Same with rear ending people, I think it was Allstate that did an ad about this very thing where people would purposely cut in front of you and slam on the breaks to force you into hitting them and collecting insurance money

Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
This topic why I always back in to a space in this area. I just don't get the people walking, who see a car backing out of a space, and just keep walking right behind it like they had no idea. I could understand it if it happened sometimes, but it happens every time here.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:48 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
People with A-type personalities tend to be the ones who treat the parking lot like a war zone where they have to "win" at any cost. And it's not just the bros with their GT500's that drive with their fists firmly planted on the horn, soccer mom's on their cell phones in big hulking SUV's are also prime offenders.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
I NEVER walk by a vehicle in the direction it's traveling. All it takes is one slip of their foot and I'm crippled for life. NEVER. Right of way is irrelevant when it comes to me being injured.

If someone has clear sight all around and still backs out in front of me, I may very well drive up on top of them and blow the horn. Obviously they were never taught how to get out of a parking spcace, so maybe they will learn from me. If they are pinned between two SUVs and cannot see out, I will probably stop to let them out. But as has been said, they do not have the right of way. So if they choose to be aggressive they may be met with intolerance.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Not sure what the law is but common courtesy from both parties should ensure a safe completion of desired objectives.
If the situation arises for me i stop whether walking or driving until eye contact is made and its mutually understood whose doing what..

Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

If someone has clear sight all around and still backs out in front of me, I may very well drive up on top of them and blow the horn. Obviously they were never taught how to get out of a parking spcace, so maybe they will learn from me. But as has been said, they do not have the right of way. So if they choose to be aggressive they may be met with intolerance.
If a person is already backing out of a parking space they DO in fact have the right of way. If you pin me in and blow your horn be prepared to wait. I'm retired and I will put my car in park and wait for you to back and give me room to complete my move. And yes, I learned this when I was studying for my CDL and yes, I have a few million miles of practice. So until you have some training and experience keep your aggressive driving to yourself.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
. If you are not aware or in any way unsure, then put the car in park until you are.

homeless beggars[/font][/color]
[/font][/color]]
Let's say I park at the mall, and when I come back, a fairly large truck is parked in the space to the right of my car. I have to wait there with my car in Park until the guy comes and moves his truck, before I can back out, because only then can I be sure of what is coming?

I can't just slowly back up, because the guy coming might see that my car is smaller than the big expensive SUV next to me, and I might be a homeless beggar (who doesn't even have the class to post in a special font and color), and the driver coming has the right of way over all poorer people, and angrily blasts the horn at me and gives me the finger, as the poor and homesess deserve for their laziness and irresponsibility.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-12-2013 at 01:42 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 01:36 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
If a person is already backing out of a parking space they DO in fact have the right of way. If you pin me in and blow your horn be prepared to wait. I'm retired and I will put my car in park and wait for you to back and give me room to complete my move. And yes, I learned this when I was studying for my CDL and yes, I have a few million miles of practice. So until you have some training and experience keep your aggressive driving to yourself.
I've never heard this. In fact, I've always heard that

The rule of thumb is that vehicles operating contrary to the flow of traffic must yield

in all situations, be they in a parking lot, or on the street. That stands to reason, while your assertion does not. If what you say is true then people could stop on a street and back into driveways or parking lots, and I know that's not legal.

Maybe your few million miles was driven under incorect info? Just because a person does something doesn't mean they did correctly.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:39 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Let's say I park at the mall, and when I come back, a fairly large truck is parked in the space to the right of my car. I have to wait there with my car in Park until the guy comes and moves his truck, before I can back out, because only then can I be sure of what is coming?

I can't just slowly back up, because the guy coming might see that my car is smaller than the big expensive SUV next to me, and I might be a homeless beggar, and the driver coming has the right of way over all poorer people, and angrily blasts the horn at me and gives me the finger.
You either need to look better or get some additional mirrors that will allow you to drive your vehicle safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive