Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 09:03 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times

Advertisements

another one is when the posted speed limit is 45 and the cop ahead just want to cruise at 35 or 40 and everybody seem to be afraid of passing the cop. in the meantime, traffic is backing up behind him. I think they get a kick out of doing that to, they know people are not going to pass. at least that's how it is in my town.

Last edited by ipaper; 11-26-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 01:43 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,617 times
I do most of my driving in Los Angeles County. Here are the kinds of things that drive me nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
If you miss your turn or exit, keep going until you can turn around. No need to endanger others by slamming on the brakes or swerving across several lanes of traffic to catch your exit or turn.
Get a GPS ! Use your dumbphone! Yes the freeways in L.A. are laid out like spaghetti, but using GPS will go a long way in keeping you and other drivers around you safe.
One day I was entering the 10 interchange from the 710 north and had to slam on the breaks to avoid being crushed against the barrier by a rather large truck that the driver decided at the very last second to get in front of me.

2. This happened to me twice and to my wife once. I'm trying to make a left turn out onto Avalon Blvd. from a side street. I inch forward because I'm trying to see around the parked truck to my left. The road clears, I accelerate only to slam on the brakes for some idiot that decided to use the left turn lane to make a U-turn and almost T-bone me.

3. This happens a lot. Avalon Blvd has 2 lanes each way. The speed limit is 40. It's a busy street. I'll be cruising along in the left lane and the guy in the right lane beside me wants to pass the car in front of him. Even though there's not a safe distance for him to enter the left lane in front of me and behind the car in front of him. He narrowly misses my passenger side front bumper.
So I started recognizing this and when I see it happening again I will speed up and close the gap. There's no need to be in that kind of a hurry. Especially when we all have to stop at the same red light.

4. Use your damn turn signals so the drivers in back of you know what you intend to do !!

5. When driving in a lane that is wide enough to accommodate 2 or more cars side by side and you intend to make a right turn into let's say a shopping center, MOVE OVER so you don't hold up traffic in back of you while you're waiting to make that right turn. I HATE when people turn right from the very center of the lane. They needlessly back up traffic.

6. I hate those blue headlights. They are too bright and blinding.

7. This may not have to do with driving per say. But I am increasingly getting sick and tired of the beggars and panhandlers walking up to my car as soon as I park in a strip mall or grocery store parking lot. They stand there waiting for you to get out of your car to make their pitch. I always tell them to back away from my car before I get out of my car. I don't know what their intentions are. Do they wanna ask me for money, rob me, or sell me candy bars? It's really unnerving.

Last edited by Rkstar71; 12-01-2013 at 02:21 AM..

Old 12-01-2013, 07:26 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
another one is when the posted speed limit is 45 and the cop ahead just want to cruise at 35 or 40 and everybody seem to be afraid of passing the cop. in the meantime, traffic is backing up behind him. I think they get a kick out of doing that to, they know people are not going to pass. at least that's how it is in my town.
I don't know about that. You get a cop on a bad day, and we all know how possible that is, you can be asking for trouble. Now going 5 MPH below the limit because of a known speed camera, that's another story.

Not sure it if has been mentioned or not but mine is drivers parking in the passing lane on interstates. That may be my #1 pet peeve of all my pet peeves.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:18 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I don't know about that. You get a cop on a bad day, and we all know how possible that is, you can be asking for trouble. Now going 5 MPH below the limit because of a known speed camera, that's another story.

Not sure it if has been mentioned or not but mine is drivers parking in the passing lane on interstates. That may be my #1 pet peeve of all my pet peeves.
Lane discipline goes right out the window in this country whenever you have more than two lanes on the interstates. The law here in Maine is that the right lane on the highway is the only lane you are allowed to travel in. The middle and left lanes are for passing, and for passing only. Many people seem to think that "keep right except to pass" becomes "keep middle except to pass" for some reason. I would imagine truck drivers, who are prohibited from the left lane, really hate middle lane hogs.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:30 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Lane discipline goes right out the window in this country whenever you have more than two lanes on the interstates. The law here in Maine is that the right lane on the highway is the only lane you are allowed to travel in. The middle and left lanes are for passing, and for passing only. Many people seem to think that "keep right except to pass" becomes "keep middle except to pass" for some reason. I would imagine truck drivers, who are prohibited from the left lane, really hate middle lane hogs.
Laws on that vary from state to state. Here, the left lane is for passing only ONLY on those stretches that are specifically designated and signed as such, whether there's two or three lanes in one direction. So "keep middle except to pass" is perfectly legal (and in many cases safer) here. Perhaps those people that think that that are driving in Maine are from states with different laws? We get that a lot here, with so many people moving in and thinking that the traffic laws in the state they came from are, of course, the ones that do, and should, hold here rather than the actual Texas traffic laws, and drive accordingly.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:53 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Laws on that vary from state to state. Here, the left lane is for passing only ONLY on those stretches that are specifically designated and signed as such, whether there's two or three lanes in one direction. So "keep middle except to pass" is perfectly legal (and in many cases safer) here. Perhaps those people that think that that are driving in Maine are from states with different laws? We get that a lot here, with so many people moving in and thinking that the traffic laws in the state they came from are, of course, the ones that do, and should, hold here rather than the actual Texas traffic laws, and drive accordingly.
It's a possibility. I'm usually among the slower drivers anyway, so it's not like I'm going to get as bent out of shape over it as some people do. I gave up on other people knowing and following the rules of the road a long time ago. The way people drive around here, having to go a bit slower because someone is hogging a passing lane is the least of my worries!

A lot of my driving woes could be solved if people would learn the meaning of this sign, and the word painted thereupon.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:58 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
People that tail gate really bother me. Why put my life at risk because you are in a hurry. If I am doing the speed limit on a 2 lane road BACK OFF.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:35 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
People that tail gate really bother me. Why put my life at risk because you are in a hurry. If I am doing the speed limit on a 2 lane road BACK OFF.

What is really aggravating--as well as dangerous--is when you are being tailgated on one of those 2 lane roads while you are driving at or above the speed limit, AND there is a solid line of cars in front of you traveling at the same speed.

What do those idiot tailgaters intend to do? Are they going to pole-vault over my car and over the 4 or 5 cars in front of me that are traveling at the same speed as me?

Most of the above-referenced tailgaters in my area are women in their 20s & 30s, driving either a late-model Beemer or a huge SUV such as a Nissan Armada or its Infiniti clone. And, needless to say, they all seem to be holding a cell phone with one hand while driving.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:33 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,802 times
I drive for a living and I see this all over Florida, newer law enforcement vehicles emergency lights are way over kill.
These new LED lights cover the exterior and interior and blind you as you approach.
It makes it almost impossible to see the officer as the lights are too bright.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:36 AM

458 posts, read 656,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Let's get to road raging here. What are your biggest pet peeves when driving?
1. Left lane blockers

2. People who don't use turning signals

3. People who leave home without knowing where they are going
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive