Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 03:33 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times

Advertisements

Do you think it will always be possible for a person with a normal income to drive off the dealer's lot in a RWD car packing insane horsepower straight from the factory or are the days numbered for these kind of cars?

Todays muscle cars don't seem to suffer from the same safety problems as the originals, aren't difficult to insure at a reasonable price and even get semi-decent MPGs... all things that killed muscle cars back in the 70's.

Do you think they'll keep going this time? When and where will the horsepower wars end? Are muscle cars just a trendy niche or are they here to stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 03:52 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
I think we're seeing the end of all vehicles in the current state. EVs/hybrids/alt fuels will be a majority by 2030. Muscle cars, the way we see them now - with big gas motors, big bodies will go away in favor of electric sports vehicles. Though EVs and other styles can be made to be fast as well, the 'muscle car', in my opinion, won't be the same and cannot be labeled as such.

Even muscle cars in our era aren't the same as the true original muscle cars.

So I'd say a good 10 or so more years before the end of them being produced in the same numbers as today.. I'm sure the Mustang will be around, and Corvette but these types of vehicles will be a much lower volume.

Because of the internet and niche markets, muscle cars being owned, built, modded, and driven will still be around because of enthusiasts.

No, I don't think you will still be able to get a Mustang or Camaro for 25k. Might be more like 40-45k. Electric sports cars with comparable performance will be 25-35k.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:23 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
I guess it depends on what you consider a muscle car because todays retro styled Mustang, Camaro and Challenger will likely look completely different in a generation or two. You can only milk the classic styling for so long before it becomes stale and the manufacturers know this. They are going to look thoroughly modern soon.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:40 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Our days are numbered, I fear. The handwriting has been on the wall for years, we have just managed to dodge the bullet to some degree, but can't do it forever.

Anyone who was around in the 70's remembers when you couldn't give away a Hemi, big block Ford, or Chevy 427 car. They turned off the spigot at gas stations and we were all trading in our gas hogs for Toyotas. We got our second wind and started being interested again in performance years later and the new cars aren't bad but the next round of trying to get our cars off the road is right around the corner.

Several things will put the nail in our coffin: Gas prices/availability, insurance rates/acceptance, government regulations, and public opinion. I see it more every day, the powers that be are starting to think of new laws to limit our use of high performance cars. Some will say that is BS, but check back with me in 5-10 years and I bet there have been significant changes in what we are all driving.

Don

Last edited by don1945; 07-15-2013 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,382,580 times
How are you defining "muscle car." If you're talking large dimensions and big displacement V8's, then no, those days are numbered. You'll still be able to get a V8, you'll just pay more. The theme you will see is lighter and more efficient, but RWD and power will still be a cornerstone of these cars. The Mustang, Camaro, and forthcoming Barracuda will also be losing weight and reducing dimensions for the next generation. The Mustang's 3.7L V6 is making more horsepower than the 4.6L V8 of only a few years ago. And with the Genesis, 370Z, and Scion FR-S, the market for sporty RWD is hotter today than it has been in many years.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 PM

774 posts, read 2,600,871 times
In his country there is too much demand and too much money in Muscle cars. They will be around at least the next 20-30 yrs. My guess is they will continue to get faster even if the motors get smaller. There were rumors and prototype 3.0 twin turbo Vettes floating around this time last year reportedly making in excess of 600hp.

Muscle cars aren't going anywhere.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
I don't think their will be another "low dollar muscle car" like the 1968 Road Runner was. If you want a high performance car, you're going to pay for it, much like you do now. Unless of course you build your own "poor man's high performance" car like dropping a V8 into a Miata.

I think the HP wars will end when the government deems a certain amount of hp from a factory car is too much for the street. For now it seems everyone is playing 1 up on the next.

Anyone who thinks high performance in the name of acceleration should question why car manufacturers now make 4 and 6 cylinder engines in cars that can run with the run-of-the-mill V8's from yesteryear.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:24 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
In 1968 that car was still expensive.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:51 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
The old era muscle cars died because they couldn't meet EPA standards, got really bad gas mileage, couldn't meet crash tests and the young people buying them couldn't afford the outrageous insurance costs. Those remaining today have had 'grandfather' laws passed that keep them on the road or as garage queens.
I'm sure there are some federal bureaucrats at the EPA sleepless thinking about what new rule they can impose to get rid of todays 'muscle' cars.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:06 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Even muscle cars in our era aren't the same as the true original muscle cars.
Meaning...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive