Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:57 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
but AWD is not
Have you ever driven a g35x/g37x?

It's RWD bais AWD. The engine is mounted longitudinally. Above 20 MPH the front wheels are completely disengaged and it handles very much like a RWD car. In normal mode only 25% of the power goes to the front wheels, but in slick conditions it will go to 50:50 bias. Great dry performance, and very good in the snow too. The new g37xs are running high 13 second quarter miles as well. Believe it or not, the 4-door rwd G37s are lighter than the coupes due to extra bracing in the doors. It's a good AWD platform for someone into performance and still needs to commute 30 miles to work in a snowstorm...like me.

Acura SH-AWD is a great system too, but they didn't put it on the TL until a few years ago.

I'm just not a fan of FWD or FWD-bias AWD systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 06:07 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,986 times
Well, I know it matters to you guys in the North, but I live in the south and I don't want AWD, only rear or front wheel drive, and I run summer tires all year. I have already test drove the Infiniti and will ride in the Acura TL today.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:53 AM

It makes a huge different in the rain as well. It's not just a snow thing.

But if you are in the south...i don't blame you one bit. Def go RWD.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:11 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Infinitis ATESSA AWD system is not just for traction in bad weather, it is bred for performance too. I wouldn't count it out because we live in the south. That said our G is RWD but we'd definitely consider an xS next time around.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:43 PM

This may or may not be an option, but the G is known for terrible gas mileage at anything below highway crusing speed.

If you have a heavy foot, you'll be at the gas station quite frequently.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:36 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,795 times
I went through the same process back in 2004. I drove both and purchased a G35x. I kept it for 8 years and it turned out to be a solid buy. Not to say that it didn't have its share of known issues (throttle chamber, compression rods, Clarion CD player that gave out twice (I traded the car on the third failure). To their credit, every Infiniti dealer that I took my car to fixed any issue that I brought up, no questions asked. They even replaced the windshield because whoever prepped the car scratched the hell out of it with a razor blade or something.

I was living in Manhattan at the time and test drove both at their respective Manhattan stores. NYC roads are a little rough to put it lightly and the Infiniti just felt a little tighter with less rattles which factored into my decision as well.

To be honest, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. After 8 years of faithful service I traded the G in on a Dodge Charger R/T which is awesome in its own right

Old 07-24-2013, 06:07 AM

600 posts, read 659,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Have you ever driven a g35x/g37x?

It's RWD bais AWD. The engine is mounted longitudinally. Above 20 MPH the front wheels are completely disengaged and it handles very much like a RWD car. In normal mode only 25% of the power goes to the front wheels, but in slick conditions it will go to 50:50 bias. Great dry performance, and very good in the snow too. The new g37xs are running high 13 second quarter miles as well. Believe it or not, the 4-door rwd G37s are lighter than the coupes due to extra bracing in the doors. It's a good AWD platform for someone into performance and still needs to commute 30 miles to work in a snowstorm...like me.

Acura SH-AWD is a great system too, but they didn't put it on the TL until a few years ago.

I'm just not a fan of FWD or FWD-bias AWD systems.
yes, as well as the Infiniti M45-X.

some of you RWD-ophiles trip me out sometime and seem to be using RWD as some elitist measuring stick. No offense

I also agree that the G...X is a great handling car, but I don't think its the RWD or RWD bias that makes the biggest difference, its the inherent balance of the car. In 90% of the cases RWD offers no actual tangible benefit besides the lack of torque steer, which AWD (including FWD biased AWD) also attains. As a matter of fact, in the real world FWD offers the most benefits in all types of weather. However i will agree with you that a longitunal (sic) engine configuration usually provides better platform for a better balanced chassis; its not the RWD.

Some of the best handling cars I've ever driven were front drivers (Acura Integra, Ford Probe GT) and many magazine reviewers are claiming the new Ford Focus ST belongs in that group as well.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
yes, as well as the Infiniti M45-X.

some of you RWD-ophiles trip me out sometime and seem to be using RWD as some elitist measuring stick. No offense

I also agree that the G...X is a great handling car, but I don't think its the RWD or RWD bias that makes the biggest difference, its the inherent balance of the car. In 90% of the cases RWD offers no actual tangible benefit besides the lack of torque steer, which AWD (including FWD biased AWD) also attains. As a matter of fact, in the real world FWD offers the most benefits in all types of weather. However i will agree with you that a longitunal (sic) engine configuration usually provides better platform for a better balanced chassis; its not the RWD.

Some of the best handling cars I've ever driven were front drivers (Acura Integra, Ford Probe GT) and many magazine reviewers are claiming the new Ford Focus ST belongs in that group as well.

Good points.

I guess it's personal preference really. I'm just not a FWD enthusiast. I enjoy throttle oversteer too much.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:15 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,986 times
Looks like I will be getting the Acura (2008) Type S Manual Trans, with A spec kit...

Old 07-25-2013, 08:48 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Looks like I will be getting the Acura (2008) Type S Manual Trans, with A spec kit...
awesome, post some pics when you get it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive