Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:18 PM

215 posts, read 569,494 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are new to USA from UK and need to buy a truck that can also seat 4 passengers (3 are kids). We would also need it to pull a camping trailer, perhaps a 30ft one or similar.
My husband will also use it for his construction work so perhaps a longer bed on truck to fit all equipment.
Budget is below $10,000.
What would you recommend?
Thanks
(we are in Asheville, NC)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 02:30 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,896,205 times
If you really want a 30ft TT, you are going to want a 3/4 ton truck if you are going to haul it up and down mountains/hills.

You won't find a truck with under 100k miles and at least 6 years old for $10k.

Just hit up craigslist and see what you can find in your budget.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:34 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
Find a 1 ton crew cab. With that budget you are going to end up with an older pickup and more than a 100K miles.

I would look for a Ford F350 up to 2003 with a 7.3 Diesel. That is a good platform for both a work truck and toy puller.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,702,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
If you really want a 30ft TT, you are going to want a 3/4 ton truck if you are going to haul it up and down mountains/hills.

You won't find a truck with under 100k miles and at least 6 years old for $10k.

Just hit up craigslist and see what you can find in your budget.
I'd agree with PokerMunkee but actually would say you'd probably want a 1 ton truck with dual rear wheels if you plan on going through hilly terrain. I imagine you're looking at a fifth wheel versus a regular trailer if it's 30 ft long?! I can't imagine putting that much weight on a ball hitch. You'd almost need a fifth wheel set-up IMO.

With that being said, $10K won't even buy you a decent-condition half-ton truck. For even a BASIC 3/4 or 1 ton, you're looking at about $20K for a used one with high miles.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:54 PM

30ft is probably the very maximum (smaller will probably do), too be honest we haven't got as far as looking at 5th wheels/trailers etc. Just my husband needs a work van and it would be nice to have something we can use for camping trips etc too. My car will not be good for this!

Old 03-12-2012, 03:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
30 feet is a huge trailer. It will cost much more than the truck. Suggestion, get a smaller trailer and use the extra money for a better truck. If you get a smaller trailer you can stick with a half ton truck and you will get a much nicer, newer and better condition vehicle for $10K. Stay away from anything that has been used for plowing snow. Transmissions are expensive.

If you are going to be looking at 9-10 year old trucks, I would stay away from Dodge. My suggeston for that time period for 1/2 ton trucks with gasoline engines is Chevy first, Ford second. Diesel engine trucks are mongo expensive. I would not tow a large trailer with one of the Japanese trucks. To get a deisel for that kind of moeny, you are going to have to go really old and/or really high miles and the truck itself will likely be worn out even if the engine is still in great shape.

Another option if you do nto need a pickup is a Chevy Suburban. Pop out the seats and you ahve a nice work truck. A chevy express van can work that way too. (or a Ford econoline, but they are not as nice).

Old 03-12-2012, 03:11 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
Your price range is very unrealistic for a truck with that towing capability. $10K would buy you something likely worn out with a lot of potential for expensive repair problems. You probably need to re-assess whether you need a truck with that towing capability or be willing to spend clost to double that amount for something used that's halfway decent. Also, if your budget is less than $10K, you probably need to be concerned about the cost to fuel a truck of that size. At current fuel prices, you would be looking at 25 to 50 cents a mile just for fuel--and up to double that when you are towing a big trailer. If fuel goes to $5 or $6/gallon (which I consider darned likely), those per mile fuel costs could easily rise 1.5 times that.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Find a 1 ton crew cab. With that budget you are going to end up with an older pickup and more than a 100K miles.

I would look for a Ford F350 up to 2003 with a 7.3 Diesel. That is a good platform for both a work truck and toy puller.
We went to see a Ford F350SD, 2004, with a gas engine though. 154,000 miles. Priced at $8,200, through a dealer. Had all the seats we need. Any thoughts?

Old 03-12-2012, 03:20 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,012,991 times
A 1 ton is nice, but probably overkill. You really need to study the numbers on truck and trailer both net and gross weight. A 1 ton with dual tires will ride like a lumber truck when not loaded. Lots of 3/4 ton rigs will do the job if properly setup. Gas vs diesel is another consideration.

Lots of good info searching Google even for older tow vehicles.

Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine

Old 03-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
30 feet is a huge trailer. It will cost much more than the truck. Suggestion, get a smaller trailer and use the extra money for a better truck. If you get a smaller trailer you can stick with a half ton truck and you will get a much nicer, newer and better condition vehicle for $10K. Stay away from anything that has been used for plowing snow. Transmissions are expensive.

If you are going to be looking at 9-10 year old trucks, I would stay away from Dodge. My suggeston for that time period for 1/2 ton trucks with gasoline engines is Chevy first, Ford second. Diesel engine trucks are mongo expensive. I would not tow a large trailer with one of the Japanese trucks. To get a deisel for that kind of moeny, you are going to have to go really old and/or really high miles and the truck itself will likely be worn out even if the engine is still in great shape.

Another option if you do nto need a pickup is a Chevy Suburban. Pop out the seats and you ahve a nice work truck. A chevy express van can work that way too. (or a Ford econoline, but they are not as nice).
Quick look at trailers and have seen some that state they can be pulled by a 1/2 ton truck, and as mentioned gas would be cheaper, so would like to consider 1/2 ton trucks, any other ideas? I think a suburban will be too small for husband's work. He loves Diesel (so common in UK) but knows you pay a lot more here for them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive