Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 06:41 PM

24,462 posts, read 25,995,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
dont dismiss 1/8th mile racing so easily. it is a great starting point for young/inexperienced racers, and 1/8th mile tracks are easier to insure, and easier to build and place than 1/4 mile tracks. i used to scoff at 1/8th mile racing too years ago. not anymore.
Sorry but phffit t0 1/8 mile stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 07:10 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times
How many years have you been into racing. What kind of cars have you driven or are you some 15 year old kid? lol

Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Sorry but phffit t0 1/8 mile stuff.
its your loss. you dont know how competitive that 1/8th mile racing can be.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Yeah, I got advice for you, skip the Chevette and the Vega unless you intend on mounting the unibody on a frame. Those cars couldn't hardly hold up the front end with a paltry 4 banger in them. The towers were a known collapse item. Any kind of engine will make it far worse. I'm not sure about a Monza(not Corvair) body from the 70's but you might look at those. If they have a frame, there's yer car. For the 1/8 mile you want an engine with LOTS of RPM and deep gears(5.11's or 5.88s) with wide sticky tires. Figure on gutting the body inside and if you expect to win, yer gonna need to haul it on a trailer. The Powerglide transmission is yer new best friend.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:22 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
my first question would be, how much experience do you have racing, of any kind? it can be anything, bicycles, go carts, etc. answer that and i can give you better advice.
I would not disagree with that. A more basic question would be how much experience does the OP have actually working on cars? Is he mechanically inclined? Does he have even the most basic of tools? A place to work on a car?

Before dumping any money into a vehicle, I would go to the track and talk to guys and girls who are already racing. Find out what challenges they face in terms of maintenance, reliability, parts availability, tuning (some motors make power more readily than others, dollar for dollar). Naturally aspirated, turbocharged, supercharged, Nitrous Oxide? Check out on-line articles from Car Craft, Hot Rod, and Popular Hot Rodding magazines. I'm not sure what the OP means by "Pro Street" but I would start with something close to stock and build as you go. That way you learn the basics and see the impact of modifications as you add speed equipment.

I'm an Old School gearhead....been racing and building hot cars for almost 40 years. I'm partial to 1/4 racing since I did it for so many years before 1/8 mile racing gained popularity.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
I would not disagree with that. A more basic question would be how much experience does the OP have actually working on cars? Is he mechanically inclined? Does he have even the most basic of tools? A place to work on a car?

Before dumping any money into a vehicle, I would go to the track and talk to guys and girls who are already racing. Find out what challenges they face in terms of maintenance, reliability, parts availability, tuning (some motors make power more readily than others, dollar for dollar). Naturally aspirated, turbocharged, supercharged, Nitrous Oxide? Check out on-line articles from Car Craft, Hot Rod, and Popular Hot Rodding magazines. I'm not sure what the OP means by "Pro Street" but I would start with something close to stock and build as you go. That way you learn the basics and see the impact of modifications as you add speed equipment.

I'm an Old School gearhead....been racing and building hot cars for almost 40 years. I'm partial to 1/4 racing since I did it for so many years before 1/8 mile racing gained popularity.
SR i am old school also. i cut my teeth on a B/FA in the late 70s. from my experience, if someone has put time in at the track, chances are they can swing a wrench. perhaps not as good as the crew, but they can swing them just the same.

i would start him out with something like a mid 70s nova clone. let him get some experience running the car down the track, and fixing issues that invariably crop up. he can even start with the six to get his feet wet, and modify the car to go faster as his skill level increases, and his money allows. i would also council him to stay away from chemical supercharging until he is getting a lot of experience swinging wrenches and driving. as you know it takes some sophistication to tune and to recognize when there is a problem with nitrous.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:14 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInFlorida View Post
Test n Tune on Friday nights with other Friends who have strip cars , sit around having a couple of brews and lighting the Bar B Q . I would be buying a finished car designed for the 1/8 th, and not building one .
I would personally stay away from a big block Vega as a first car, especially for 1/8 mile racing. If your set on a Vega, I would look at one with a small block with a power glide. That combination has been proven over the years and if built right they are bullet proof and won't break your budget. You can get most parts for a small block GM motor almost anywhere. You will have to learn the rule requirements of IHRA or NHRA in reference to the car you eventually buy. Even if you are not racing a specific class, the modifications made to your car will determine a host of other requirements in order to race. Example: NHRA, if you run nitrous, you have to wear a fire suit. Run 9.99 or better. You need a roll cage etc. Keep it simple to begin with and have fun.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I would personally stay away from a big block Vega as a first car, especially for 1/8 mile racing. If your set on a Vega, I would look at one with a small block with a power glide. That combination has been proven over the years and if built right they are bullet proof and won't break your budget. You can get most parts for a small block GM motor almost anywhere. You will have to learn the rule requirements of IHRA or NHRA in reference to the car you eventually buy. Even if you are not racing a specific class, the modifications made to your car will determine a host of other requirements in order to race. Example: NHRA, if you run nitrous, you have to wear a fire suit. Run 9.99 or better. You need a roll cage etc. Keep it simple to begin with and have fun.
good advice. what the OP needs to do is acquire a rule book, or a few rule books from various sanctioning bodies and local tracks, and study them all and build his car to fit those rules.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:29 AM

1,289 posts, read 722,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInFlorida View Post
Test n Tune on Friday nights with other Friends who have strip cars , sit around having a couple of brews and lighting the Bar B Q . I would be buying a finished car designed for the 1/8 th, and not building one .
Building it is half the fun, if the skills are there to either do it yourself or at least have/learn the knowlege to have someone else do 1,2 and 3, in that order, at your specific request as the build planner, for you. I've done all the work to my ('stage2' sleeper street) car myself, and there's nothing like knowing every little detail of that machine that you're demanding to perform for you on that track. It just feels good. A recent decal comes to mind that I recently saw: "built not bought." But, as I implied, if one does not want to learn the skills necessary to DIY, then buying a built vehicle is the other option; just not as much fun or quite as much pride.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:37 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HolyNinja~ View Post
Building it is half the fun, if the skills are there to either do it yourself or at least have/learn the knowlege to have someone else do 1,2 and 3, in that order, at your specific request as the build planner, for you. I've done all the work to my ('stage2' sleeper street) car myself, and there's nothing like knowing every little detail of that machine that you're demanding to perform for you on that track. It just feels good. A recent decal comes to mind that I recently saw: "built not bought." But, as I implied, if one does not want to learn the skills necessary to DIY, then buying a built vehicle is the other option; just not as much fun or quite as much pride.
Building is great and all, especially if you have the knowledge and patience. Years ago I took my daily driver Fox body Mustang and wanted to make a 10 second street car out of it. Not a big deal now but this was in '89. I know that is different then building a class legal certifiable chassis car but in the end I looked back and basically wanted to start over with the build. It's easier to pick apart things when it's completed. I did the same thing re rigging a sport boat to go from a low 60mph boat to over 80. From both of those projects I learned it is much more cost effective to buy something complete, make some changes to it if needed and then just add power.
On Yellowbullet.com there are tons of certed chassis cars, from the small tire outlaw classes to big tired bracket cars. Many deals out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive