Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 04:05 PM

40 posts, read 170,686 times

Advertisements

Ok so my grandparents have been having trouble finding a suitable car after losing their big ole 1998 Buick Park Avenue. They recently bought a brand new Lincoln MKZ and still complain that its too small. They want something brand new so does anyone have a car in mind? I'm sure they want a sedan or else they would have gotten a SUV by now. Thanks for any help! BTW if it helps the Park Avenue was 205 or so inches long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 04:17 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,576 times
Toyota Avalon...pretty big car, plus if I remember correctly, the doors swing out pretty wide.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:57 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
A current or late model Dodge Charger or Chrysler 300 is a Large RWD land yacht of old and your Grandparents might like that better over the more modern eco-Boost mid-size Lincoln MKZ

Old 07-20-2013, 05:00 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
I think the Avalon is a great choice. The Charger might work too. The 300 isn't much different but I'd worry older folks might not like the gangster look with the high sills. The Cadillac XTS might be worth a look. Lexus LS would be a great but expensive choice.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:05 PM

40 posts, read 170,686 times
My grandma has a dodge charger and its nice but when they pick up family and travel its just a bit crammed with 4 people and luggage.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:12 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy42 View Post
Ok so my grandparents have been having trouble finding a suitable car after losing their big ole 1998 Buick Park Avenue. They recently bought a brand new Lincoln MKZ and still complain that its too small. They want something brand new so does anyone have a car in mind? I'm sure they want a sedan or else they would have gotten a SUV by now. Thanks for any help! BTW if it helps the Park Avenue was 205 or so inches long.
Simple, have the current car stretched into a limo size.

They just don't make them that big any more.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:22 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
It would be hard to find a new car over 17 feet long (204"). Except for a Rolls-Royce Ghost (212.6").

Here are some measurements of other cars mentioned in this thread.

1998 Buick Park Avenue----------- 206.8"

2013 Lincoln MKZ----------------- 194.1

2013 Toyota Avalon-------------- 195.3

2013 Chrysler 300---------------- 198.6

2013 Dodge Charger-------------- 199.9

Cadillac XTS--------------------- 202

Lexus LS 460-------------------- 200

BTW, did the Chrysler 300 shrink? I thought they used to be about 202-204", which was still well below the 218-220" over the classic 300s.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:29 PM

389 posts, read 1,218,966 times
I drove a Genesis R-Spec from Tyler, Texas to Hot Springs, Ar. on Monday. Should be plenty big and gave surprisingly good fuel mileage as it only used 1/2 tank of fuel. But that is a hot rod so maybe just a "plain old Genesis" would work just fine.

Avalon is a decent car but I think a recent test I saw was less than complimentary about its ride. In its class the Kia Cadenza front driver came out on top. I can't imagine that any of these other cars would not be sufficiently large. I own both a Hyundai Elantra and a Sonata and there is plenty of room inside and these are smaller vehicles. But for real luxury try looking at the Azera class of front wheel drive vehicles. The Genesis is a rear wheel driver. I can't speak to the other brands.

I'm not surprised they complain about the room. The MKZ is mechanically identical to the Ford Fusion. There have been complaints about it being too small inside. Beautiful but small inside.

2013 Lincoln MKZ Full Road Test

If I was going to spend $40K+ I would look to something like the Genesis. Use Edmunds to compare the dimensions and room inside of different selected vehicles. The Genesis had plenty and I'm 6'6" and 260 pounds. But my pockets aren't that deep to actually own one. Personally, I don't like the turbo engines. I'd get a "regular" V6 or V8 and the more gears the better, six is good, eight is even better. The Genesis 5.0 R-Spec is a V8 rear driver with eight speed transmission.

Last edited by rmissourimule; 07-20-2013 at 05:39 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 05:32 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy42 View Post
If they wanted a big car why would they buy the medium sized one in a manufacturers line up?? The MKS is 204.1" overall btw.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:12 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
I drove a Genesis R-Spec from Tyler, Texas to Hot Springs, Ar. on Monday. Should be plenty big and gave surprisingly good fuel mileage as it only used 1/2 tank of fuel. But that is a hot rod so maybe just a "plain old Genesis" would work just fine.

Avalon is a decent car but I think a recent test I saw was less than complimentary about its ride. In its class the Kia Cadenza front driver came out on top. I can't imagine that any of these other cars would not be sufficiently large. I own both a Hyundai Elantra and a Sonata and there is plenty of room inside and these are smaller vehicles. But for real luxury try looking at the Azera class of front wheel drive vehicles. The Genesis is a rear wheel driver. I can't speak to the other brands.

I'm not surprised they complain about the room. The MKZ is mechanically identical to the Ford Fusion. There have been complaints about it being too small inside. Beautiful but small inside.

2013 Lincoln MKZ Full Road Test

If I was going to spend $40K+ I would look to something like the Genesis. Use Edmunds to compare the dimensions and room inside of different selected vehicles. The Genesis had plenty and I'm 6'6" and 260 pounds. But my pockets aren't that deep to actually own one. Personally, I don't like the turbo engines. I'd get a "regular" V6 or V8 and the more gears the better, six is good, eight is even better. The Genesis 5.0 R-Spec is a V8 rear driver with eight speed transmission.
Elderly Grandparents tend not get the R-spec version of anything since it would have a super stiff suspension and harsh ride it is more for people in the their 30's-60s not 70's -80's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive