Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 06:18 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Oh come on now, granny cars~? I don't feel that way. Plus, I like the larger seats. The smaller seats don't give you enough room to move around. And the comfort is like sitting on a seat at the baseball game~!
How much room do you need while driving, that a bucket seat does not give?

I do not miss column shifters. I test drove a couple different Tundra's when I bought mine. First time using a column shifter in years. It just did not feel right to me.

Not to mention, the bucket seats were so much more comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 06:39 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
Quote:
How come they changed the gear shift on cars from the wheel to between the seats~? I'm so use to it on the wheel when I had Chevy's and then they quit. Went to Buicks, and now they quit. What's the reason for it, does anyone know~? I'm comfortable with it on the wheel and then again you use to get a larger seat, a bench seat. Now all I'm finding is gears between the seats with less seat room and more gadgets.

Because they were 3 speeds. 4, 5, 6 speeds would not work on the column and the floor shifter works better and is faster.(Im talking manual trans)

Automatics are still on the column on some cars.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:48 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times
Quote:
...wanted to have something "different" than your father's column-shift 1990 Buick LeSabre.

Do you know me or something~? Cause this is too realistic for you to say this and it's mostly true~!

Old 07-21-2013, 07:03 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post

I do not miss column shifters. I test drove a couple different Tundra's when I bought mine. First time using a column shifter in years. It just did not feel right to me.

One of the reasons I bought a car with bench seats was because I did not want a console shifter.

I wouldn't mind having bucket seats, but every car with bucket seats had the shifter in the middle console.

For me.....console shifters are a huge PIA. I always throw my purse on the passenger seat and the strap gets hung up on the shifter all the time.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:23 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,599 times
Which SUVs still have column shifts? The old Explorer and Escape used to have it, but not in the latest generation. Toyota Sequoia also had it, but maybe not anymore? Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Tahoe, Ford Expedition (not sure), and...?

Old 07-21-2013, 08:00 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
One of the reasons I bought a car with bench seats was because I did not want a console shifter.

I wouldn't mind having bucket seats, but every car with bucket seats had the shifter in the middle console.

For me.....console shifters are a huge PIA. I always throw my purse on the passenger seat and the strap gets hung up on the shifter all the time.
Stop throwing your purse at the shifter, try thowing it over instead. Come on, you'd have to be throwing it at the passenger seat floor to be catching on the shifter. Typically both seats are AFT of where the shifter is located.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:15 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post

I don't know how much room I need, but I like a roomy car. I'm a petite female but I like my butt room Anyways, I didn't know this would be a "hot topic" Just kind of noticed it when I was looking for a new vehicle that the gears now all are between the seats and everything is on the wheel is included in the price, where at one time it was extra.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:34 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,257 times
Quote:
Do you know me or something~? Cause this is too realistic for you to say this and it's mostly true~!
I don't think so as I don't know too many folks from KY. My dad had LeSabres from '90 through 2005 and they definitely had a column shift. He would hang his ball caps on it by poking the shifter through the hole in the back of the cap. They were certainly uncool "grandpa cars" but they were very comfy, rode well if not a little too soft, got about 30 mpg on the highway (not bad for a ~4000 lb barge with a fairly large, old-school V6 and absolutely no modern fuel-economy tweaks) and lasted near forever. I understood why people would buy cars like Buicks and Cadillacs that after my dad had those Buicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

I really like the 40/20/40 two buckets and a flip-down console/third front seat setup. My current truck has it and it's handy to occasionally be able to stuff a sixth person in the vehicle for short runs. It's also nice to be able to flip the console/seatback up to be able to reach over to the passenger seat to grab a map or something. Those LeSabres of my dad's had a similar setup too.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Many cars have paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Quicker shifting.
The number of times I and people I have ridden with accidentally turn on the wipers on steering wheel ;thank god its not common on cars.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:57 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
There is still nearly always a cable or rod that goes from the shifter to the transmission even on a floor shift transmission. The only transmissions where a direct linkage is available would be a floor shift manual in a longitudinal engine vehicle but those are not very common these days. Your typical transverse engine car needs a linkage no matter where the shifter is located because the transmission is underneath the engine, not underneath the console.
No idea of what you are talking about. The following vehicles, all that I drive now and then, have manual transmissions:

a. 1987 Civic Si. The stick is positioned right on top and middle of the transmission
b. 1981 Ford F-150 (same thing as above)
c. 1994 Susuki Sidekick
d. 1988 Sierra GMC

All have 5-speeds forward, and the shifter is located in the middle (on the floor above the transmission), plus attached to the top cover of the transmission. I do my own work on these transmissions, too. If any linkage used, it's usually a very short piece of petal, not one that has several twists and turns all the way from the steering column down to the side of the transmission.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-21-2013 at 09:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive