Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:56 AM

137 posts, read 602,890 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody -- quick question:

Last night I had both of my cars broken into, I usually put them in my garage but last night I got home real late and was plain lazy.

There was no forced entry -- no damage to the window sills, broken windows, etc.

I have a 2008 BMW 3-series and a 2008 Jetta, both cars have their standard manufacturer's alarm.

I always lock and arm my cars. Even if I may have forgotton to lock/arm one car, the probability of neglecting to lock both is slim to nil.

My question, how did they get in? I am completely confused. Could they have some type of high-end device that can open cars?

They stole my ipod from the bmw, approx $50 bucks in change and small bills, and a few other trinkets.

I know now to always park my cars in my garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,888 times
The technique they used isn't important. The same items would be stolen through a broken window -- they just might have been in a bigger hurry due to the noise.

I think the most simple technique is probably the right answer for what happened to you.

-Wander through neighborhoods and apartment buildings pulling on door handles. When one opens, take contents and repeat. (I caught kids doing it when living in a large apt. building in NOVA).

A "high-end" device, if one even exists, would probably be used to steal cars or expensive parts, not swipe personal items from them.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:47 AM

Hmmm... I know they didn't just pull the handles because they were able to get into both cars, and I know both could not have been unlocked.

This may have been personal since they just stole my small trinkets and not the car, or they may be small time and didn't want the crime of boosting an entire car.

Nonetheless, I guess I'll never know for sure. Lesson learned though, keep cars behind gate in driveway. No such thing as a safe neighborhood especially in this economy.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
well the only thing I can suggest is not to leave I-pods or change in the car because it becomes a target people up here will smash the window for 50 cents so just be thankful your windows are not busted out.

Taking precautionary measures can minimize your chances of becoming the victim of auto theft.

In the United States a vehicle is stolen an average of every 21 minutes. Not only does auto theft costs the victim time and money, but it cost society, because it drives insurance premiums up and many times stolen vehicles are used to commit other crimes.
Car thefts seem to occur with greater frequency where large groups of cars are parked for extended periods of time in places such as shopping centers, colleges, sporting events, movie complexes, and large apartment complexes, according to the Los Angeles Police Department. Car thefts can occur anytime -- at random on different days of the week and times of the day, depending on the locations.
Below are some tips you can use to avoid being the victim of a car thief:
Never leave your car running unattended, even to dash into a business, store, etc.;
Never leave any keys in the car or ignition, inside a locked garage, or in hide-a-key boxes;
Always roll up your windows and lock the car, even if it is parked in front of your home;
Never leave valuables in plain view, even if your car is locked. Put them in the trunk out of sight;
Always park in high-traffic, well-lighted areas, when possible;
Install a mechanical device that locks the steering wheel, column, or brakes. These devices will deter some criminals;
Investigate the purchase of a vehicle theft tracking/security system, especially if you own one of the frequently stolen model vehicles;
Never leave personal identification documents, vehicle ownership title, or credit cards in your vehicle;
If you must leave your key with a valet, attendant, or mechanic leave only the ignition key. Make sure you are dealing with a reputable firm.
In high theft areas the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) should be etched on windows, doors, fenders and trunk lid. This makes it difficult for a thief to market your stolen car parts.
Copy your license plate and vehicle information (VIN) numbers on a card and keep them with you. If your vehicle is stolen, the police will need this information to take a report; and,
Many vehicles today come with some type of security system from the factory. Normally there are upgraded systems available if you ask. The best choice are systems that shut off the fuel supply so that a car can't be started or driven.
If your vehicle is stolen, report it to the police immediately. Source: Los Angeles Police Department, Troy, OH Police Department

Old 07-08-2009, 12:24 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,097,411 times
I realize that this is illegal in many states but one of the best theft deterrents (at least for me) are dark tinted windows. If they can't see what they want they will have less of an urge to break a window to find out. I have window tint (front/rear) on all of my vehicles and put up with the occasional ticket that I might get every few years.

As far as how they broke into your vehicles, they probably used a window pump to seperate the window from the frame and then a small hook to release the internal lock switch.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:28 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,601,130 times
Did anyone have access to your keys? My Saturn was stolen 4 years ago from the parking lot at work in broad daylight. The thief used a master key to gain entry with no damage. My car was so old, it didn't have a key FOB or an alarm.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:55 PM

I took the BMW in for a quick top off of coolant but have not taken the Jetta in for service.

For the Jetta, it doesn't even have a physical door object where you can pull it up to unlock the car, nor the little button off the handle that unlocks either. It is only an electronic button, but nothing physically opens on the exterior for the car to be unlocked. I guess there is a locking mechanism that they could have used to release the internal lock.

If anything, I was needing a kick-in-the-butt to get me to call to get a home alarm system installed, this was a nice little, costly, push.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:48 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
I remember parking in the driveway for a few days and some kids were staking out my car for a few days. I was always a step ahead and made it clear to them by coming out of the house with my .45, and getting inside my car to sleep in it. The got the message and never came back.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:29 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,620,536 times
Sometimes the answer is simple, do you have kids?
Too often it is our own that do us in.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:40 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times
If your car(s) have the keychain fob electric push button locks it's no trouble at all to "pop" the locks with a lock scanner that finds your car's frequency to open the locks.

Locks only keep honest people out anyway. Thieves will have the tools to get in so never leave items in plain view to invite them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive