Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:57 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I recently bought a Roadtrek Class B motorhome, also known as a "camper van". It is similar in size to what you're looking at, but with a bit more weight, and about the same height (raised roof) as a "conversion van". Lots of good advice here. On level ground, it's big, but not much of an issue to drive. Just spend a little time and get comfortable with it, especially in crowded, urban areas. And as others said, learn to use your mirrors. On the highway they are a joy. Plenty of room to stretch out and be comfortable. The view from "up there" is great as well, you can see over the majority of traffic.

In the mountains, they are interesting to say the least. The length isn't typically a big deal, not much different than a pickup. But the height is. First, the driver sits up much higher. Those twisty mountain roads, with sky curves (curves where you see nothing but sky off the low side) really make you feel much closer to the edge, and you can really see how far down it is! I'm a pretty confident driver, but these still make me "pucker" a bit, especially when pulling a trailer loaded with ATVs. Much more noticible than with a car or pickup. The other issue is the high center of gravity. They actually can take a curve at a reasonable speed, but you sure feel the body roll. Spend some time getting familiar with the rig, and slow down. Now, if you're on major roads or highways, this isn't as much of an issue as it it say with narrow, twisty local roads, or Forest Service roads.

The other issue is weight and acceleration/braking in the mountains. Turn overdrive off, lower gears are your friend either climbing or descending. Avoid cruise control if you're in the tight stuff and focus on being slowed down before the curves. Also try to accelerate before getting to a steep climb. These heavy rigs don't accelerate well going uphill.

All and all, they aren't a big deal to drive, just slow down a bit and use some common sense. The ability to have everyone together to enjoy the trip should overcome the minor inconvenience of the big beastie. I think your passangers will be much more comfortable than crammed into two cars. Vans have a more upright, comfortable seating position than the cramped confines of most cars.

OP, where will you be driving, and what are the roads like? If you're in the West on anything like a major road or highway, you won't have an issue in the mountains. It's only some small, secondary roads I can see an issue with. Some of the twisty roads to the viewpoints on Mt. St. Helens or in Glacier Park for example. Again, the machine will do it fine, just slow down and don't let the dropoffs intimidate you. If you're in the East, I wouldn't worry at all, the mountains aren't big enough or long enough to be an issue.

I'd recommend that you rent one for a day or a weekend and get comfortable with it before you load it up with seven people and a load of gear. Just a few hours behind the wheel will provide a lot of confidence and make you a much more comfortable driver. Driving it for the first time with the distractions and extra pressure of all those people on board probably isn't the best idea.
Thank you. This post helps a lot. I googled the Roadtrek Class B. I like that a lot!

It will be in the West. Most of the driving will be I-70 through Kansas; that part will be easy, and then Colorado. Almost all of it will be major roads and highways. I prefer driving vehicles that sit up higher because I am only 5' and I can see better. So SUVs/Jeeps are what I normally drive, and before that, a minivan. Thanks for the warning about the dropoffs. For this trip I would have rather taken a minivan but my husband thinks for everyone's comfort a 12 passenger van would be better. Being 5' tall and not used to driving something that big, I was just a little intimidated. But everyone who knows me says once I get used to the feel of it, it won't be a big deal. We are getting the van the day before we leave, so will be able to drive it for a day before time to pack up and head out.

I do have a perfect driving record!

Last edited by luzianne; 07-30-2013 at 06:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 05:35 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Thank you. This post helps a lot. I googled the Roadtrek Class B. I like that a lot!

It will be in the West. Most of the driving will be I-70 through Kansas; that part will be easy, and then Colorado. Almost all of it will be major roads and highways. I prefer driving vehicles that sit up higher because I am only 5' and I can see better. So SUVs/Jeeps are what I normally drive, and before that, a minivan. Thanks for the warning about the dropoffs. For this trip I would have rather taken a minivan but my husband thinks for everyone's comfort a 12 passenger van would be better. Being 5' tall and not used to driving something that big, I was just a little intimidated. But everyone who knows me says once I get used to the feel of it, it won't be a big deal. We are getting the van the day before we leave, so will be able to drive it for a day before time to pack up and head out.

I do have a perfect driving record!
I've driven that stretch of I-70 many times. Be aware, there is a ton of delays and construction at the Eisenhower tunnels. Just remember, when going through the mountains, turn the overdrive off, and shift the transmission into 2nd, or even 1st gear, on long steep downhill grades. You need to use your engine braking to slow you down, or you will overheat your brakes, and they will fail. You will be fine, just go at a speed you are comfortable with, and take it easy. I know a lot of people from out of state don't know how to drive in the mountains, as evidenced coming down from the pikes peak hill climb this year, all I could smell was burning brakes, because nobody knows what the extra "2" and "1" are for on the gear indicator lol.

I'm surprised some of them didn't completely lose their brakes.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Piece of cake. If you can drive a SUV or car you can drive a van. They just don't handle as sharp as a passenger car and high winds can make them sway and wallow. Soft suspensions but theire comfy and can carry a lot of stuff. Try to get a 250/2500 aka 3/4 ton. They have heavier duty stiffer suspensions.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:02 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
I don't think it's very hard. No harder than a pickup or full size SUV which are quite easy to drive.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:35 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
It was almost a year ago, but I wanted to update. We actually ended up with a 15 passenger van; they just took the last row of seats out and called it a 12 passenger van. But once I got behind the wheel, it was no big deal to drive. I had to drive several hours in a rainstorm, and came upon an 18 wheeler on its side on the highway, and still no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive