Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-03-2013, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Aiea, Hawaii
2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Reputation: 1635

Advertisements

Hi everyone.
I am researching and looking in to buying a Diesel Pick up Truck one of the trucks listed in my title.
For owners of the Diesel Pick up trucks how are they operating?
Are any of you having issues/problems with the DEF System or HPFP.
Seems like on the main land a lot of Diesel truck owners are having issues with there DEF system.
Getting dealer warranty coverage, to fix the issues/problem of the DEF paid for under warranty repairs. Are not, dealers siting owner responsibility for the problem to the DEF and have to pay for the repairs. All the owners are doing is driving their truck in every day traffic to work and home. I've read that if the owners tow, haul and drive your truck as designed they have less issues with their Diesel Trucks.
I understand if you delete or modify your DEF, you the, owner lose your Warranty for repairs.
Other than the high price of Diesel Fuel here on Oahu. How are your Diesel trucks running.
I look forward to your replies.
Thanks,
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2013, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Volcano
12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Reputation: 10759
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
I am researching and looking in to buying a Diesel Pick up Truck one of the trucks listed in my title.
You seem to have posted in the wrong forum, since this one is about relocating to Hawai'i.

I believe you will get much better response to your questions by posting them here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 04:38 AM
 
3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Reputation: 3769
I have a 2013 f250 with the 6.7L diesel. Amazing truck in every way. I have about 13k miles and def has been a non issue for me. I just have it filled for around $20 every oil change.

As for warranty, theres a 36000 mile bumper to bumper I believe. As long as you don't let the def run empty I see zero reason why any repairs wouldn't be covered.

I purchased the Ford 100k mile warranty but I'm considering canceling it at 36k when the normal factory warranty runs out and then deleting all the emissions stuff and adding a tuner. Will get far better power and mileage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 04:24 PM
 
33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Reputation: 20030
since my diesel was a much older one, i never had to deal with the diesel fluid or the particulate filter. that said, my old 84 F250 was a solid reliable performer. it got 21 mpg where ever i drove it, for the most part. there were a few times where i got less, the worst fuel economy i got with it though was 16mpg. the only thing i ever wished that truck had was a turbo, especially for high altitude operation(i drove that truck through teton pass a couple of times, a 10% grade with a high altitude of 10,000ft), but even then it did pretty well. one thing with some diesels you have to be aware of is glow plugs, they need to be replaced every now and then. you also have to keep the injectors clean, there are products available for doing just that without removing them, and you have to be aware of water in the fuel, again these trucks should have a water separator that needs to be drained from time to time. and while you wont have to worry about diesel fuel gelling in hawaii, you will have to deal with algae in the fuel from time to time, there is a product you can use to reduce or eliminate that issue as well.

in the end all three trucks are well designed, and reliable, and powerful. i would recommend any of the three for heavy duty use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Aiea, Hawaii
2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Reputation: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
I have a 2013 f250 with the 6.7L diesel. Amazing truck in every way. I have about 13k miles and def has been a non issue for me. I just have it filled for around $20 every oil change.

As for warranty, theres a 36000 mile bumper to bumper I believe. As long as you don't let the def run empty I see zero reason why any repairs wouldn't be covered.

I purchased the Ford 100k mile warranty but I'm considering canceling it at 36k when the normal factory warranty runs out and then deleting all the emissions stuff and adding a tuner. Will get far better power and mileage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Thank you for the reply.
I have had Ford vehicles most of my life. So Probably will wait and see what the 2015 S.D. Diesels look like and make a Decision then. Tanks again for your experience with F250.
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Aiea, Hawaii
2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Reputation: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
since my diesel was a much older one, i never had to deal with the diesel fluid or the particulate filter. that said, my old 84 F250 was a solid reliable performer. it got 21 mpg where ever i drove it, for the most part. there were a few times where i got less, the worst fuel economy i got with it though was 16mpg. the only thing i ever wished that truck had was a turbo, especially for high altitude operation(i drove that truck through teton pass a couple of times, a 10% grade with a high altitude of 10,000ft), but even then it did pretty well. one thing with some diesels you have to be aware of is glow plugs, they need to be replaced every now and then. you also have to keep the injectors clean, there are products available for doing just that without removing them, and you have to be aware of water in the fuel, again these trucks should have a water separator that needs to be drained from time to time. and while you wont have to worry about diesel fuel gelling in hawaii, you will have to deal with algae in the fuel from time to time, there is a product you can use to reduce or eliminate that issue as well.

in the end all three trucks are well designed, and reliable, and powerful. i would recommend any of the three for heavy duty use.
Appreciate the reply.
Good information to use when i move back to the main land USA. To do some traveling after retirement with a fifth wheel and of course a good Diesel DRW.
Thanks,
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 07:17 PM
 
3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Reputation: 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Appreciate the reply.
Good information to use when i move back to the main land USA. To do some traveling after retirement with a fifth wheel and of course a good Diesel DRW.
Thanks,
Scott
Towing capacity on my f250 is 15900 and my 42' 5th wheel I'm a full timer in is about 15500. I only move it a few times a year and it works great. A few weeks ago I brought it from Houston to Mobile, Al.

If I was towing often I would DEF suggest a drw. If it's like my case, or maybe a 34'or 36', mine is great. My hesitation against the drw is due to the poor gas mileage and longer bed and width. I was glad to get the shorter bed and such. If they made a 6 3/4 drw I would've been all over that. Here's a pic of my setup. I have since installed airbags and it rides level.



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by houstan-dan; 09-25-2014 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Aiea, Hawaii
2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Reputation: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Towing capacity on my f250 is 15900 and my 42' 5th wheel I'm a full timer in is about 15500. I only move it a few times a year and it works great. A few weeks ago I brought it from Houston to Mobile, Al.

If I was towing often I would DEF suggest a drw. If it's like my case, or maybe a 34'or 36', mine is great. My hesitation against the drw is due to the poor gas mileage and longer bed and width. I was glad to get the shorter bed and such. If they made a 6 3/4 drw I would've been all over that. Here's a pic of my setup. I have since installed airbags and it rides level.



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks for the reply. Nice picture of your F-250 and Fifth Wheel. Who made your Trailer?
I'll be starting off slow staying a few weeks at a time in National/State park camp grounds & BLM lands.
Planning on getting between 30-35' Fifth Wheel either a used Nuwa HH or Execl Winslow,to be able to get in to the parks. So the planning goes on.
Thank You for the reply.
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top