Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:16 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Remove windshield.

I agree, Praxis . . .

Either that or MOVE TO ARIZONA . . . no stinkin' fog in the Desert Southwest.

! ! ! ! ! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 08:47 PM

307 posts, read 685,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I agree, Praxis . . .

Either that or MOVE TO ARIZONA . . . no stinkin' fog in the Desert Southwest.

! ! ! ! ! !
I was going to say the same thing.... Move to the desert.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:29 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
The few times I've had to deal with a fogged windshield and it wasn't raining I just turn on the warm defrost at a high setting, crack open one front window about an inch and one opposite side back window about an inch. Voila' clear inside.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:05 PM

894 posts, read 1,325,386 times
use heat not a/c

Old 08-08-2013, 11:31 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
I have never heard that you can use A/c to defog windows.
All this time. I thought you use heat.....guess I was very,very wrong.
I made myself miserable when the temp was 96 degrees and I needed to defog the windows.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:53 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

I can't even begin to count the number of people I have helped over the years by simply pointing out to them that they had their HVAC system set on, "recirculate", when they were using the heat or the vents. For some reason, a lot of people seem to operate their vents on recirculate most of the time, and this just exacerbates the fogging problem.

Personally, I find that comfort and the ability to see through the windshield trump gas mileage, but, if the OP insists on not using his A/C, then he should make sure that his power vents are not being operated with recirculated air.

Recirculated air is drier (when a/c is on), so it shouldn't create more fog.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:56 AM

45 posts, read 112,689 times
I had the same issue last year after we had a really hard, warm rain for several days. I kept running the AC and driving with the windows down to try to get the moisture out but it kept coming back.

It was so bad it was dripping down towards the dash.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:17 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I hate it that every time there's a bit of humidity here and the temperature drops, whether it's night time or before, during, and after rain, my windshield frequently fogs up and I have to turn the A/C on to defog it. Anybody have any homemade tricks that would prevent my windshield from fogging up so easily?
Most newer automobiles, run the AC automatically when you turn the air-flow control to defrost. When doing so, most automobiles don't turn the AC light on. This usually works to below freezing temperatures (somewhere down to perhaps 30 degrees ambient temperature). Below that you would have to turn the heater on and move the control to defrost.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:21 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
use heat not a/c
If you have a newer automobile and is a little cold outside: turn both the heater on, and the air flow control to defrost (it's on the owner's manual). If it's already hot outside, and raining, you don't want to turn the heat on because it will get too hot inside the car.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:18 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
A/C can be hot or cold. Both are conditioned air which is dehumidified.

Most cars that have working A/C, your defrost option will automatically turn the A/C on. You still can adjust the temperature as well.

There are anti-fog products out there, but only work to a certain degree. Out on the east/southern areas where humidity is quite high, those products are not as effective but still can help.

There will be a small decrease in MPG's for using A/C. Depending on the car and engine size, this could be very small or actually noticeable. The hassle of trying to find a way around using the A/C to defog windows in a humid area such as where the OP lives, really isnt worth it IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive