Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 12:57 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Kinda like the stereos in today's high tech cars (which have a handle on them for easy pullout and carry around).

I take mine out every time I leave my car for a minute or 2 which has a nice handle, and the ladies are eying me up.
Trust me, nobody is going to ever steal that radio. Feel free to leave it in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 08:53 PM

5 posts, read 2,287 times
I think if you pay a use/tax/usage costs it's considered a license. If no fee is paid to use the resource it's a registration. (Only paying registry maintenance costs). I consider using public roads as a resource.

So if you have no fee for a fishing 'permit', it would be more properly called a registration, but since only a few smaller classes of individuals qualify for a no cost DNR licence the documents are all called licenses. As far as I know only those of native American heritage over a specific percentage and tribally recognized get free licences, and those above a specific age & disabled individuals get to fish or hunt free. I happen to be one of the disabled group and I'm a happy sportsman. I'm not happy being disabled, but there's a few silver linings.

And I believe the same is true on car license plates. As far as I know, no one gets a vehicle licensed free. There may be some VERY rare circumstance, but I'm not aware of one. I spent much of my career as a sworn police officer specializing in traffic enforcement, and I have never seen a zero cost vehicle license. (I'm now retired, and NO, I cannot help anyone with a ticket problem!)

Oddly enough, when an officer stops a citizen driving a vehicle on public roads, he or she invariably asks for driver's licence, vehicle registration card, and proof of vehicle insurance.

I'm agreeing with jtur88's well written post.

Old 12-22-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Good question. Just like why is a driveway called a driveway and a parkway called a parkway? I know when I am on The Garden State Parkway I do more parking than driving
This sounds somewhat George Carlin-esqe!

I liked his question, "If there are legal pads, where do you go to get illegal pads?"

Old 12-22-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Trust me, nobody is going to ever steal that radio. Feel free to leave it in the car.
The ladies may be eyeing him up wondering if their car radio is being stolen & carried about, or they think it's rather odd to see someone carrying about a car radio. More likely the latter.

I have seen stereo enthusiasts removing a stereo from a car that was worth a tiny fraction of the value of the radio. Radios get stolen from cars way more often than you may realize. Most pawnbrokers won't accept a car radio on pawn or to buy because so many get stolen, and lots aren't even reported stolen because, honestly, does anyone have a record of their car radio's serial number?

Old 11-11-2020, 06:54 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Wisconsin has the worst plates imo.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:06 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
It's government taxation and red tape. Just like when the police pull you over and ask you for registration and insurance. Why? They already knew if the car is registered and insured by simply looking it up on their system.

When you go to doctor's office these days, you just need to give your date of birth and SS# and they can find your info because the records are now centralized.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:00 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's government taxation and red tape. Just like when the police pull you over and ask you for registration and insurance. Why? They already knew if the car is registered and insured by simply looking it up on their system.

When you go to doctor's office these days, you just need to give your date of birth and SS# and they can find your info because the records are now centralized.
Maybe post in the political section or great debates section.

Old 11-11-2020, 03:07 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Default "exempt"

Some license plates say "exempt" on them, meaning presumably the registered owner
doesn't have to pay state motor-vehicle taxes. So vehicles owned by local governments
would carry such plates. But why is that printed on the license plate -- what difference
does it make vis a vis keeping track of vehicles (the purpose of license plates)?

Old 11-11-2020, 05:29 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Some license plates say "exempt" on them, meaning presumably the registered owner
doesn't have to pay state motor-vehicle taxes. So vehicles owned by local governments
would carry such plates. But why is that printed on the license plate -- what difference
does it make vis a vis keeping track of vehicles (the purpose of license plates)?
If the state has year decals on the plate, an officer wouldn't know at a glance if the plate was exempt without the word.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:32 AM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Some license plates say "exempt" on them, meaning presumably the registered owner doesn't have to pay state motor-vehicle taxes. So vehicles owned by local governments

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
If the state has year decals on the plate, an officer wouldn't know at a glance if the plate was exempt without the word.

So 'exempt' vehicles don't have to have those annual decals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive