Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 05:33 PM

471 posts, read 977,336 times

Advertisements

Not in any way being a bike lover, I personally would rather have some Geo with automatic, air and a radio than ride a motorcycle. But yes, some people like them, but I never really got it.

Some bikes are more like works of art, Vincents, Victories, Indians, etc...but I would still never really want one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 05:52 PM

109 posts, read 156,986 times
Motorcycles vs. cars... that's like cats vs. dogs. People have been arguing about that forever. There's no way to really say which is better, other than to outline the facts and opinions and see how things line up.
First of all, is a motorcycle really more dangerous than a car? Uh...absolutely. This is a fact.
Is a motorcycle really cheaper than a car? Again, absolutely.
But when it comes to price, it's all about the bang-for-the-buck factor. Convenience/versatility-wise, a car has much more bang-for-the-buck. But what about if you're looking for true performance machine? In that case, the motorcycle wins. You can get a very fast bike for a fraction of the cost compared to a car of equal specs.
My personal opinion: bikes suck. Don't take it personally, bike fans, I'm a child of Detroit so naturally I like cars. They may be more expensive to purchase, more expensive to own, and more expensive to soup up, but at least I can take a girl for a ride without her falling off the back (BOOOM, that just happened.)

Old 08-11-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Don't get a motorcycle. The money you save isn't worth the risk.
And, if it is your only vehicle, the cost savings aren't worth the hassles of dealing with weather and inability carrying stuff from running errands.

Before you buy, browse these photos:

Motorcycle Injury Graphic Photos
Oh, my God!!! I try not to cuss on the forum, but I've just got to say, Holy F****** ****!!! Probably the fist time I've ever seen what mutilated human remains look like. I've always been a car guy, but I mean, just HOLY F****** ****!!! To hell with bikes, man. Four wheels forever!!!
My apologies. Got a little bit excited there. I mean, that was horrifying.

Last edited by nightleopard654; 08-11-2013 at 06:38 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Opinionated much???

Should we post graphic images of people injured or killed in cars?

Most motorcycle accidents are caused by bad car and truck drivers.

It used to be a LOT safer to ride a bike than it is today. But I've been riding over 40 years and have never crashed.

Posted with TapaTalk
Yeah, he could have posted a link showing car-crash victims. He could have done that, why not. But, really, did you look at the pictures? Because I did. Did you see the one showing the pile of body parts on the side of the highway? That wasn't a grouping of miscellaneous spare parts. THAT WAS A GUY. That was a pile of mutilated body parts and that was all the authorities could recover from the wreck. Look a little closer at that one, notice the broken shard of the guy's face just laying there on the pile? That used to be a guy's face. There was another picture of a guy with his body intact but his head had completely exploded. Does this happen in car crashes? If it does, do speak up, I'd hate to be inaccurate in my opinions.
It's good that you have this hobby that you enjoy so much and are so passionate about, and I respect that you have an opinion. But you can keep your All-American open-aired freedom, just don't be calling out people for being concerned about their own safety, that's all.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:47 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightleopard654 View Post
Yeah, he could have posted a link showing car-crash victims.
Actually, just to add a little "flavor" to this thread....I remember back in 1977 when I got my first ticket and had to go to traffic school. Back then, you didn't listen to a comedian for four hours; they showed you extremely gory films like Red Asphalt or something like that. It was sick. These were footage fire departments shot at the scenes of horrific accidents - before seat belts and before safety glass. Human bodies ripped in two being pulled out of wrecks.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:58 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightleopard654 View Post
Yeah, he could have posted a link showing car-crash victims. He could have done that, why not. But, really, did you look at the pictures? Because I did. Did you see the one showing the pile of body parts on the side of the highway? That wasn't a grouping of miscellaneous spare parts. THAT WAS A GUY. That was a pile of mutilated body parts and that was all the authorities could recover from the wreck. Look a little closer at that one, notice the broken shard of the guy's face just laying there on the pile? That used to be a guy's face. There was another picture of a guy with his body intact but his head had completely exploded. Does this happen in car crashes? If it does, do speak up, I'd hate to be inaccurate in my opinions.
It's good that you have this hobby that you enjoy so much and are so passionate about, and I respect that you have an opinion. But you can keep your All-American open-aired freedom, just don't be calling out people for being concerned about their own safety, that's all.
Yes.....of course people don't get mutilated in car crashes.

Wrap yourself in bubble wrap. Work at home in a one story ranch. Breath bottled air. Drink bottled water. And be sure to have all your food pureed.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-11-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Actually, just to add a little "flavor" to this thread....I remember back in 1977 when I got my first ticket and had to go to traffic school. Back then, you didn't listen to a comedian for four hours; they showed you extremely gory films like Red Asphalt or something like that. It was sick. These were footage fire departments shot at the scenes of horrific accidents - before seat belts and before safety glass. Human bodies ripped in two being pulled out of wrecks.
Oh, absolutely. Back in '77, it was a whole different ball game. I mean, that was way before my time, but if you know some history about vehicle safety standards, cars were not as safe as they are today by any means.
I agree with Bludy-L that you can be killed in a car, but I still like cars for 2 reasons:
1) You're a lot less likely to die
2) In a car, your body can be crushed. On a bike, your body can be torn to shreds. If I'm going to die in motor vehicle accident, I'd like to at least have some donate-able organs.
That's basically where I draw the line right there.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:11 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,964 times
Quote:
That's basically where I draw the line right there.
What difference does it make if you sever a body part and die or if your skull gets crushed and you die? You're dead just the same. End of story.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-11-2013, 07:30 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,593 times
Quote:
You're dead just the same.
Except for some reason, life insurance companies charge motorcyclists a LOT more in premiums.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Yes.....of course people don't get mutilated in car crashes.

Wrap yourself in bubble wrap. Work at home in a one story ranch. Breath bottled air. Drink bottled water. And be sure to have all your food pureed.

Posted with TapaTalk
Whoah, calm down.
I didn't say anywhere in my post that people aren't mutilated in car crashes. This is something that does happen in all reality. So how's that any different that MC crashes? For one, it takes one nasty car accident to mutilate one's body. Whereas in a motorcycle accident, it's easier to see that happen. A helmet, a leather outfit, and a pair of tough boots pales in comparison to a steel frame, a seat belt, and air bags, when it comes to safety.
And another thing: fatal MC crashes are far more common than fatal car crashes. This is a fact with numbers to go with it.
And, yeah, I'm a vegetable because I don't feel comfortable with running the risk of ending up in a pile. Just like the majority of Americans who feel the same way. What a bunch of ******* we are, us modern-day Americans. Living in rolls of bubble wrap, working at home in one story ranches, breathing bottled air, drinking bottled water, eating pureed food. Driving around in our newfangled four-wheeled transportation machines. Oh, yeah, living the ***** life over here. (Sarcasm, folks, sarcasm)
Whatever. I had an opinion, you got offended, I wasn't even trying to argue and you wanted to go round and round about it. I've made my point and I have the right to express my opinion without being labeled negatively. So, I'm going to log out now and go to bed and think about something more important than this silly issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive