Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 04:10 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times

Advertisements

A highway patrolman when asked the same questions said... "It is like fishing. You know you can not catch every fish in the lake. You just catch as many as you can "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 04:49 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Yep, anything over the posted speed limit is speeding. Period, end of discussion. BUT, it all depends on the cop and circumstances. Most are reasonable and if you are 5 over they will not say anything, but if you get the wrong cop on the wrong day...........

I was traveling on the Ohio Turnpike with a pack of cars years ago and there must have been 20 cars doing over the speed limit. All of a sudden there were police standing in the road, flagging some of us over. When we complained that EVERYONE was going the same speed and we were only going with the flow, the cop said " You were the unlucky ones, we can only stop so many and it was your turn."

So, hiding in the middle of the pack is no guarantee you will not be stopped.

Don

Old 08-11-2013, 04:54 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yep, anything over the posted speed limit is speeding. Period, end of discussion. BUT, it all depends on the cop and circumstances. Most are reasonable and if you are 5 over they will not say anything, but if you get the wrong cop on the wrong day...........

I was traveling on the Ohio Turnpike with a pack of cars years ago and there must have been 20 cars doing over the speed limit. All of a sudden there were police standing in the road, flagging some of us over. When we complained that EVERYONE was going the same speed and we were only going with the flow, the cop said " You were the unlucky ones, we can only stop so many and it was your turn."

Don
This is why it has nothing at all to do with safety and everything with revenue generation. Al the vehicles were safe in driving at a constant flow of traffic. The punk cops didn't care about the maximum safety being exercised. They just cared about their tickets & self-preservation of their pathetic employment/ existence. Absolutely sickening.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:01 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
IMO, low hanging fruit gets picked first. There's always someone with expired stickers, an idiot weaving through traffic, or some other thing that makes you less likely to be bothered as long as there isn't a big target painted on the side of your car for one reason or another.

Also it seems that a lot of times police will hang around areas where a lot of crashes happen. Probably partially as a deterrent, and I guess maybe so they can respond to them. Every area has the constant crash areas, and there always seem to be police not far away.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
This is why it has nothing at all to do with safety and everything with revenue generation. Al the vehicles were safe in driving at a constant flow of traffic. The punk cops didn't care about the maximum safety being exercised. They just cared about their tickets & self-preservation of their pathetic employment/ existence. Absolutely sickening.
What's sickening is this attitude, that anything that says that you might have to accept the consequences of your own choice to speed MUST be about revenue generation. It's indicative of a failure to accept responsibility for the consequences of one's own actions and a need to blame those consequences and actions (but, Mooooommmmm, everybody's doing it!) on anyone, everyone, else.

Those cops were most likely addressing an area where speeding (and perhaps accidents) is known to be a problem and by pulling over as many as they could (since they couldn't possibly pull over everyone), discouraging future speeding in that area.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:19 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
Yes this is what I always wondered about. I will keep driving the same way (with flow of traffic and in right lane) though as it is safer. I don't overtake anyone or anything though and I am never in front at all. But your example tells me I could still be pulled over someday. So far (over 300K miles) I have been lucky

Old 08-11-2013, 05:24 PM

471 posts, read 977,336 times
Back in the days of CB radios, I did a lot of traveling in my car and always found convoys of trucks to travel with at high speeds, usually in the rocking chair position, but sometimes front or back door. In those days, everyone had CBs, and everyone was alerting each other of cops and speed traps and no one ever seemed to get pulled over, unless you were really doing something stupid or were a danger to everyone else. Now everyone is so caught up in their own little cell phone worlds that the highways are again a dangerous place, with no one sharing info or watching out for each other. If I pass a hidden radar trap and flash my lights to warn oncoming cars who are speeding, most don't know or have never heard of that being used as a "cop ahead" signal.

Cops are like lions, they pick on the easy targets first. If you are speeding by yourself, remember that cops have forward and backward looking radar and if you look like an easy pull over for some quick cash and a ticket towards his quota, you are going to get it. There is no rule that you can go up to xx miles over the limit and you will not get stopped, it is just a random chance of opportunity if you get nailed. Don't be the weak, easy target lone wolf driver, you will not survive....Me, I still have a cb, but no one has their ears on anymore and it seems to be just an empty wasteland...that needs to change for all of our benefit..

Old 08-11-2013, 05:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
The two concepts are unrelated. The flow of traffic is how productive people get to and from their place of work or leisure or marketing. Speeding tickets is how the county or city generates revenue by extracting the fruits of that productivity in a wildly non-progressive and at times an unconstitutionally selective form of unequal taxation.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Okay, all of you "It's not my fault that I got stopped for speeding (never mind I actually WAS speeding), it's the nasty cops generating revenue!" folks.

What exactly WOULD it take to make you obey the traffic laws and/or take responsibility for and accept the consequences of your own decision not to do so if you make that decision? Since speeding tickets apparently are just somebody being mean to you?

Or is that simply an outrageous thing to expect of you?

(Let me make all my own decisions about what's safe and what's not on the public roadways does not constitute a reasonable answer, just so we get that out of the way up front.)

Old 08-11-2013, 07:01 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
What exactly WOULD it take to make you obey the traffic laws and/or take responsibility for and accept the consequences of your own decision not to do so if you make that decision? Since speeding tickets apparently are just somebody being mean to you?

Or is that simply an outrageous thing to expect of you?
Speeding tickets are a risk I am willing to take. Just stay out of the left lane if you are moving slower than the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive