Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:41 AM

68,271 posts, read 53,999,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
To answer your question...

Do speed limits cut down on people from speeding?
Who knows? But blade guards on saws keep there from being more guys nicknamed 'Lefty' in the world.

Sometimes machinery requires safety devices to protect the stupid, and more importantly the innocent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 11:44 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,704,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Who knows? But blade guards on saws keep there from being more guys nicknamed 'Lefty' in the world.

Sometimes machinery requires safety devices to protect the stupid, and more importantly the innocent.
But that's not a law. That's a safeguard.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:46 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,705,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
What if they were eating? What if they were putting on makeup? What if they were changing radio stations? What if they were distracted by their children in the back seat fighting? What if they were driving into the sun? What if they were tired? What if they didn't have any discernible distraction and just failed to react quick enough?

We've now outlawed cellphones, eating, makeup, radios, children, the sun, and driving.

The thing with cellphone laws is they're particularly stupid. Most studies that differentiate between holding a small plastic object in your hand and talking find that it's actually having the conversation on the phone that is distracting and not holding a small plastic object. But that isn't what cellphone laws target. It's completely legal to talk on the cellphone as long as you aren't holding a piece of plastic while you do so. You can duct tape it to the steering wheel, use a Bluetooth headset, hands-free function in the car, balance the phone on your knee and use speaker phone.
You are 100% correct. I have been saying this all along...holding a phone isnt the problem, its the conversation. Never understood how bluetooth is legal but holding the phone to talk is not. Now with bluetooth I have a free hand to hold a drink or eat a sandwich while I talk. Bluetooth allows me to multi-task even more while driving than I was when it was still legal to hold a cell phone and talk.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:48 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,481,660 times
And why it is important to talk while driving? Just ban using them in any form altogether.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:51 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,705,236 times
Just to clarify...I refuse to use bluetooth and dont really use the phone either unless im stuck in traffic and need someone to pick up the kids. I can always wait to get home for the other calls. I also enjoy driving with the windows down and the radio up so its a burden to me to even be bothered with a cell while driving.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:54 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,462,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What if a loved one is put in a wheelchair because someone had such an important phone call they just couldn't wait? How will you feel then?

BTW, the "somebody's following me I need the police" scenario is easily solved with a '911' button on the phone.
Id go after the person that did it, not the entire population. Geez, sounds pretty simple. I'm tired of all these laws and regs, wasted money, wasted time, etc. Make whatever law you want, people will still break it.

The amount of money needed to equip every car with a device, and mandate every phone to operate the software, its NOT going to happen. Even if it did, we will find a way around it.

How about educate, and increase the consequences of those how choose to take risky actions?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:56 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,462,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
And why it is important to talk while driving? Just ban using them in any form altogether.
There are plenty of people that actually CAN use the phone and drive just fine. We just notice the ones who cant.

Ban ban ban, lets ban everything. Screw it, cars are dangerous. Lets ban them and go back to horse and wagon.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,446,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
There are plenty of people that actually CAN use the phone and drive just fine. We just notice the ones who cant.

Ban ban ban, lets ban everything. Screw it, cars are dangerous. Lets ban them and go back to horse and wagon.
Horses and buggies are way too dangerous!

We just had two Amish women injured when their horse began coming loose from their buggy, causing it to upset.

No mention in the newspaper if they were on their cellphone or not.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-15-2013, 12:06 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,481,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post

Give me a break with your BS again - I can drive fine with cellphone, I can tailgate OK....

Old 08-15-2013, 12:10 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,927,262 times
Not at all. An idiot is an idiot regardless of they are using a phone or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive