Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times

Advertisements

They have not worked simply because they are not enforced strictly, evenly, and harshly enough; being caught while using a cell phone should draw some sort of interruption in the fool's life/plans on the first offense

I don't mean jail time, but I do mean some sort of community service -- something that will ruin the plans for a weekend, for example. The vast majority of cell phone addicts are young, and simply not fully cognizant of the demands of oncoming maturity -- this is as good a place as anywhere to reinforce the lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 04:13 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
They have not worked simply because they are not enforced strictly, evenly, and harshly enough; being caught while using a cell phone should draw some sort of interruption in the fool's life/plans on the first offense

I don't mean jail time, but I do mean some sort of community service -- something that will ruin the plans for a weekend, for example. The vast majority of cell phone addicts are young, and simply not fully cognizant of the demands of oncoming maturity -- this is as good a place as anywhere to reinforce the lesson.
That simply will not work because law enforcement are too involved in other business, and stopping motorist for cell phone use is at the bottom of the barrel in importance.
It is strictly low, low priority in all departments of law enforcement..
They proved that to me when they rejected my billboard idea that I posted on the previous page.
Bob.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:19 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There is no difference between talking to my dad on the phone and talking to him when he is sitting in the seat behind me. None. The news from my dad is exactly the same if he is sitting behind me or on the phone. The distraction is exactly the same. Please explain how it is not even in the same league.
I'm not going to attempt to paraphrase, but there are countless articles (some scholarly and geeky) explaing exactly why there is indeed a difference between talking to a passenger and talking on your cell phone (and texting while driving is asinine no matter what!) The locus of attention is different, in terms of how your brain is processing information.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diff...ient=firefox-a

I noticed this years ago. I can have dogs, passengers, food, children etc in my vehicle and do not feel the slightest bit distracted when talking to them. My eyes don't leave the road, pretty much ever. But I definitely noticed that while talking on my cell phone, I was more likely to miss my exit or turn, more likely to realise I had been driving on "autopilot" for a few minutes, and concentrating on snowy/icy/wet roads was harder.

So I have for the most part stopped even talking on my cell while driving, although for a long while I thought as you did - that it was no different to chatting with a passenger.

But it IS different.

I should add that I am a very confident, safe and competent driver. I have several hundred thousand miles logged as a commercial over-the-road driver (semis and buses) and have driven extensively in other countries (including the UK, driving on the left and I've also driven MANY miles through Mexico, Egypt, Israel, Turkey, Greece, Spain, Costa Rica, etc) and other continents, as well as this one, and my last at-fault accident was in 1979.

And I still realise that talking on my cell compromises my competence while driving. Maybe it's just me. In which case I acknowledge and respect my limitations!

As to the OP - no, I don't think laws are making a difference at all. And paradoxically to what I just stated, I dislike nanny laws. I don't think the government has a duty to protect all of its citizens at all times from any risk. That takes responsibility and common-sense away from citizens. CALGUY who stops and waits at curbs for cars to stop while walking his dog - that is just common sense. Laws don't prevent people being idiots. CALGUY should stop and make sure it's safe to walk his dog across the road and he should do it every time no matter what the laws are. That's just taking personal responsibility and being a defensive driver/pedestrian.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Now to those who are against the limiting of mobile devices, it might be refreshing to hear your solutions to the growing problem of people texting or calling on a cell phone while behind the wheel.
Don't say "more enforcement" because that isn't working.
Now, let's hear your ideas.
This was one of mine I handed to the California legislature, and the California Highway Patrol.
This was a billboard that could have been placed all overt he state, but it never happened.

Bob
This woudl be great until peple started getting into accidents becuase they are looking at the billboard instead of the road. That would kind of negate the positive impact.

If you feel the need to impose laws to address this problem than perhaps mandating self driving cars is your answer. Talking and even texting while driving is not going to stop. It is time to be realistic about this issue. Eventually what will happen is technology will advance and texting/talking will become less distracting. Already we have vr texting. I tap a button and say: text to Mrs. Jensen I cannot make it home for dinner, go ahead and eat. Of the text goes and I never looked away from the road. Is there some distraction? sure, but it is less than finding another station on the radio or turning on the heater. It is less than a 1967 GTO driving by me. Less even than a billboard telling me not to text.

As technology advances further, the testing concept will change. Maybe we will eventually need only to think about what we want to say and off it goes to enter the thoughts of the intended recipient.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This woudl be great until peple started getting into accidents becuase they are looking at the billboard instead of the road. That would kind of negate the positive impact.

If you feel the need to impose laws to address this problem than perhaps mandating self driving cars is your answer. Talking and even texting while driving is not going to stop. It is time to be realistic about this issue. Eventually what will happen is technology will advance and texting/talking will become less distracting. Already we have vr texting. I tap a button and say: text to Mrs. Jensen I cannot make it home for dinner, go ahead and eat. Of the text goes and I never looked away from the road. Is there some distraction? sure, but it is less than finding another station on the radio or turning on the heater. It is less than a 1967 GTO driving by me. Less even than a billboard telling me not to text.

As technology advances further, the testing concept will change. Maybe we will eventually need only to think about what we want to say and off it goes to enter the thoughts of the intended recipient.

Right, and I believe one day we will all be a real life episode of star trek (beam me up Scotty) whereby at the push of a transponder, we will be able to transgress throughout the universe.
All that is fine and dandy, but in the reality of today's world, irresponsible people are getting behind the wheel, and texting, which is resulting in death and dismemberment of too many people that didn't have to be put in that position.
Today's problem of mobile device use has to have limits put on it to end the carnage, and like it or not, what I have proposed WILL be the best way to address the problem, and in a short span of time.
Bob.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Right, and I believe one day we will all be a real life episode of star trek (beam me up Scotty) whereby at the push of a transponder, we will be able to transgress throughout the universe.
All that is fine and dandy, but in the reality of today's world, irresponsible people are getting behind the wheel, and texting, which is resulting in death and dismemberment of too many people that didn't have to be put in that position.
Today's problem of mobile device use has to have limits put on it to end the carnage, and like it or not, what I have proposed WILL be the best way to address the problem, and in a short span of time.
Bob.
Perhaps you are not aware, voice recongnition is already a reality. The example I gave of me texting my wife without touching my phone is reality. You can do that right now.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:57 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I don't think the government has a duty to protect all of its citizens at all times from any risk. That takes responsibility and common-sense away from citizens.
I'm inclined to agree but the problem is that so many people are showing they have no responsibility and common sense, thus we need laws. Look at the selfish knotheads in this very thread who deny they are impaired in any way using a phone while driving, indeed some seem ready to fight a second Civil War over their "right" to be anti social. What can you do with such people? (shrugging) General selfishness and cluelessness has reached a level hitherto unseen in our society, it's as though people think they have an inalienable right to be a jerk. We need a new Jefferson.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 08-15-2013 at 05:10 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 05:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
No, because they're nearly unenforceable. In most cases, the citation for cell phone use comes only after the accident.

If a driver is using the phone, and the cop turns on the flasher, the driver just puts the phone away. What's the evidence for a conviction?

Old 08-15-2013, 05:28 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'm inclined to agree but the problem is that so many people are showing they have no responsibility and common sense, thus we need laws. Look at the selfish knotheads in this very thread who deny they are impaired in any way using a phone while driving, indeed some seem ready to fight a second Civil War over their "right" to be anti social. What can you do with such people? (shrugging) General selfishness and cluelessness has reached a level hitherto unseen in our society, it's as though people think they have an inalienable right to be a jerk. We need a new Jefferson.
Yeah but that is my point. There are bad and stupid, careless people in society. Always have been, always will be. More laws will not make life safe for everybody. Never have, never will. What we need to do is NOT enact more laws, but instead make people take more responsibility and be attentive for their own safety and wellbeing.

Nerferizing the world with laws designed to protect people actually creates a dependent, complacent populace. Because they expect government and laws to make everything OK. Watch kids getting off a school bus and crossing the street for a good example of this.

Government at any level won't correct human behaviour. Never has, never will. Countries with draconian and heavy-handed laws do not in general tend to be wonderful places to live.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, because they're nearly unenforceable. In most cases, the citation for cell phone use comes only after the accident.

If a driver is using the phone, and the cop turns on the flasher, the driver just puts the phone away. What's the evidence for a conviction?
Exactly, and if that same cell could not be used while the vehicle is in motion, that makes stopping the vehicle in the first place a moot point.
There would be no need to stop it because the phone could not be used in the first place if the motion of the vehicle triggered a de-activation of the phone
Plain and simple, people do not like being lead by the hand to a place they don't want to be, but sometimes it is necessary, and to stop this slaughter on our roads and highways, people need to be forced to a different direction when it comes to cell phone use while behind the wheel.
There are those who argue that there are numerous distractions while driving, and that is true, but why add to that list if there is a way to prevent it?
Some would argue, what's one more distraction?
I answer, when it kill and destroys innocent people, it is one more too many.
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive