Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:38 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,774,958 times

Advertisements

How about a "public service announcement" every ten seconds on a phone that is moving more than 15mph? A brief message saying "The idiot you are talking with is driving in a moving vehicle. Is your conversation worth an innocent persons life? If not please hang up now. If you wish to continue you selfish Bast@ard we will reconnect you now."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 06:03 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
What we need to do is NOT enact more laws, but instead make people take more responsibility and be attentive for their own safety and wellbeing.
Sorry to say but I don't think people will respond to that.

I do think that laws change behavior, not everyone's of course, but a significant amount. If enforced. Were I the mayor of Chicago I'd start by telling the coppers I wanted every one to write two tickets a day for cell phone abuse and one ticket a day for a cyclist running a stop sign. That might do more for the quality of day to day life in Chicago than pinching a hundred drug dealers.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Exactly, and if that same cell could not be used while the vehicle is in motion, that makes stopping the vehicle in the first place a moot point.
I had thought about that, but you can't ban passengers from using the phone -- pulling off the road when it is not perfectly safe to do so makes the problem worse, not better.

One thought I had, would be a device that would flicker the side lights front and back when an outgoing cell signal is detected in the car. The flicker lights would be activated even if a passenger is using the phone, but a driver alone in a car with flickering lights would would alert other drivers (and police) to the phone use. Maybe the passenger could, while using the phone, hold up a sign in the passenger seat saying "it's me!"

maybe the device could even intercept an incoming call with a recolrding saying "The person you called is driving her Nissan. (You just know the carmakers won't let this promotional opportunity slip by.) She (why did I use that pronoun?) will call you back in a few minutes."

Last edited by jtur88; 08-15-2013 at 06:43 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 06:36 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
If a human officer does not witness it, i can get out of it. Speed cameras and red light cameras are all to easy to get out of.

Could a human office witness a crime using technology? A computer screen on which sensor data are displayed?

Old 08-15-2013, 06:39 PM

In this photo

What if the phone wasn't on and he was just imitating talking on a cell phone. What does the cop do?

Old 08-15-2013, 07:09 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
In this photo

What if the phone wasn't on and he was just imitating talking on a cell phone. What does the cop do?
What idiot would be driving around doing that?

Bob.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
How about a "public service announcement" every ten seconds on a phone that is moving more than 15mph? A brief message saying "The idiot you are talking with is driving in a moving vehicle. Is your conversation worth an innocent persons life? If not please hang up now. If you wish to continue you selfish Bast@ard we will reconnect you now."

That idea is absolutely idiotic.
It would add to the distraction of the driver.
Bob.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I had thought about that, but you can't ban passengers from using the phone -- pulling off the road when it is not perfectly safe to do so makes the problem worse, not better.

One thought I had, would be a device that would flicker the side lights front and back when an outgoing cell signal is detected in the car. The flicker lights would be activated even if a passenger is using the phone, but a driver alone in a car with flickering lights would would alert other drivers (and police) to the phone use. Maybe the passenger could, while using the phone, hold up a sign in the passenger seat saying "it's me!"

maybe the device could even intercept an incoming call with a recolrding saying "The person you called is driving her Nissan. (You just know the carmakers won't let this promotional opportunity slip by.) She (why did I use that pronoun?) will call you back in a few minutes."

Your statement about NOT being able to ban passengers from using a cell phone is stupid at best.
If a passenger had the use of the phone, what would prevent the passenger from handing the phone to the driver?
That absolutely won't work.
The goal is to stop needless killing and maiming of innocent people by distracted drivers.
As for your "flickering lights" synopsis, again, not well thought out.
That could be confused with a vehicle's emergency flashers being activated.
Obviously with your third synopsis, the phone in the vehicle would ring, there by momentarily distracting the driver.
No, the one and ONLY answer is to have the phone disabled automatically when the vehicle is in motion, and rendered useless until the vehicle is parked for a minimum of three minutes.
That way, stopping for a traffic light would not activate the system.
Bob.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
What idiot would be driving around doing that?
I don't know. Maybe some lawyer looking for some lawsuit or maybe a comedian like Tom Mabe.

It's a hypothetical question.

Epic Prank On Cops - Drinking In Public - YouTube

Prison Break Prank - by Tom Mabe - YouTube

Epic Pee Prank - Arrested Edition - YouTube

Old 08-15-2013, 08:44 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
statistically I don't know the numbers but I'm sure it has curbed people from doing it and that undoubtedly is better for everyone. If they let everyone carry guns or use drugs or allow statutory... well you get the idea.

I feel I'm perfectly capable of physically driving a vehicle while on the phone like many, but the problem is if you're holding the phone up to your ear, you're blocking peripheral vision and/or less likely to turn your head that way to look. At least that's my experience. Speakerphone or bluetooth is where it's at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive