Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 02:07 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times

Advertisements

And this is what it looks like in real life on my Camry:

Difference between driver side window and windshield:

And full windshield view:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 08:48 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, though it looks nice on the photos, I can see major damage eventually happen to the interior. Also, it's plain ugly.
From personal experience, I'd recommend tinting every window AND windshield. And moonroof, if you have one. Total cost should be around $300 and it's functional and very esthetic.
The link you provided took me to a google images search. The DOT you cite (without a link to an official site) is probably federal. However, as you see in the link below, each individual state has their own window tint regulations. Many make windshield tinting (even the top bar) illegal if done aftermarket (not originally applied when vehicle was built) and only legal with a medical prescription and even that is regulated due to the amount and level of exposure the doctor says is safe for your condition.
Window Tint Laws - The Basics - FindLaw

In the early days of window tint, people would put a mirrored tint or a spray on smoke tint. I hated the mirror tint because it reflected the sun into the eyes of other drivers on the road. When level of tint laws went into effect. Many guys found out how difficult it was to remove the smoke tint.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:12 AM

I was simply trying to tell someone that it is rude to blame a person of moronic posts, without looking deeper into the matter, and posted first to come under Google search. Of course, every state is different.
Same time, EVERY decent tinter will know local laws and have them posted in the shop. As does mine. They will also provide you with a certificate of compliance and will not tint with illegal film, or will make you sign a waver of liability. In case SHF, they can be dragged into the hearing, you know.
So it's not that dangerous. But sure enough, you can not prevent tree shade installers from doing all kinds of things. It is what it is.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I was simply trying to tell someone that it is rude to blame a person of moronic posts, without looking deeper into the matter, and posted first to come under Google search. Of course, every state is different.
Same time, EVERY decent tinter will know local laws and have them posted in the shop. As does mine. They will also provide you with a certificate of compliance and will not tint with illegal film, or will make you sign a waver of liability. In case SHF, they can be dragged into the hearing, you know.
So it's not that dangerous. But sure enough, you can not prevent tree shade installers from doing all kinds of things. It is what it is.
Cousin worked at what was once a reputable tint shop. He ended up running the place. The owner got hooked on coke and crack. He began hiring some of his coke buddies. Cousin left before things got worse. Drug addicted shop owners would do just about anything you want as long as they continue to get drug money. They got busted and shut down. New company in it's place.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:08 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Cousin worked at what was once a reputable tint shop. He ended up running the place. The owner got hooked on coke and crack. He began hiring some of his coke buddies. Cousin left before things got worse. Drug addicted shop owners would do just about anything you want as long as they continue to get drug money. They got busted and shut down. New company in it's place.
This is related to automatic shades ?
Interesting route, Automatic shades ---> Window Tinting ---> Drugs

So ... , if you want the sun NOT to damage your car, you may end up taking drugs ...

Old 08-18-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
This is related to automatic shades ?
Interesting route, Automatic shades ---> Window Tinting ---> Drugs

So ... , if you want the sun NOT to damage your car, you may end up taking drugs ...
Troll, if you go back, you'll see I was not responding to you. I was responding to a specific person's post.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Sure. That does not change that tint is saving gas and making driving more comfortable experience overall. Wisdom says, exempt only confirms the rule. Rule is - most tinters are decent folks.
I'll tell you a joke. Back in ol country, they had a tribe that is still living in stone age, pretty much. Far far up north. Equivalent of Eskimos.
That backwardness resulted in a bunch of jokes about them.
One says: what does their toilet seat look like? It's a strong stick sharpened on both ends. Why? One is to drive it into the snow, so that wind does not blow you off while you doing your business; the other end is to fight wolves back, so that they do not bite your parts off, while doing your business.
Moral is - ANYTHING can be done, or used, either to man's benefit, or to its harm.
But this, truly should be in philosophy forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive