U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 11:58 AM

4,750 posts, read 4,054,139 times

Advertisements

I live "Hotlanta" and was wondering if it was possible to have automatic sunshade for the windshield. Since they are able to build automatic sunshades for the rear seat passengers, why not the windshield. I know that they have retractable ones that you can attach to the windshield.

I've had this idea since I was a kid, and I would've thought that the luxury brands would've added this feature by now. Is there anyway I can have this feature added to my car, or am just dreaming?

Here are examples of the retractable ones that you can buy:

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 AM

20,871 posts, read 21,741,426 times
Interesting idea as long as the price is low.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:17 AM

42,661 posts, read 82,451,401 times
the one in picture number three doesn't look automatic to me. Just what is you have in mind?

Old 08-17-2013, 09:25 AM

11,479 posts, read 8,244,929 times
you ought to watch the movie flash of genius (2008). it's about an inventor, played by greg kinnear, and the true story of robert kearns and his battle with a major auto co. when they stole his winshield wiper invention.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:30 AM

17,451 posts, read 23,584,822 times
Well, though it looks nice on the photos, I can see major damage eventually happen to the interior. Also, it's plain ugly.
From personal experience, I'd recommend tinting every window AND windshield. And moonroof, if you have one. Total cost should be around $300 and it's functional and very esthetic.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:21 AM

15,151 posts, read 13,339,227 times
For about $75 you can order a sun shield made to custom fit your vehicle's windshield. A windshield shade will protect the dashboard from the harmful UV rays of the sun. Some luxury makes have a ventilation system which, when the car is turned on, will open a series of vents to draw the hot air out the car as it blows in conditioned air to replace the air being removed.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:23 AM

15,151 posts, read 13,339,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, though it looks nice on the photos, I can see major damage eventually happen to the interior. Also, it's plain ugly.
From personal experience, I'd recommend tinting every window AND windshield. And moonroof, if you have one. Total cost should be around $300 and it's functional and very esthetic.
Not legal to tint the front windshield

Old 08-17-2013, 11:37 AM

3,306 posts, read 11,332,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Dude... where in hell do you come up with all of your ideas?! Every single time you suggest something lol!!! Now its tinting the windshield!!!

Old 08-17-2013, 12:25 PM

251 posts, read 487,374 times
The shade pictured in the original post is not "automatic". There are no automatic windshield shades for any car. Consider how interesting it would be for it to accidentally deploy while driving...

I'm not aware of any automatic shades for rear windows either. Several cars, such as my Mercedes Benz have power actuated rear shades, but they are all manually activated by the driver. We have large power sunshades in our motorhome, but again they are NOT automatic, they are driver controlled.

In my opinion, the best solution is HeatShield, which makes nice custom shades for most cars. They run about $40, and are a good value.

BTW, it is a federal DOT violation to alter a windshield, including tinting...

Old 08-17-2013, 02:02 PM

17,451 posts, read 23,584,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Dude... where in hell do you come up with all of your ideas?! Every single time you suggest something lol!!! Now its tinting the windshield!!!
Dude, you have no idea what you talking about. Please, refrain from derogatory remarks in cases like this. Tinting windshield is normal procedure. Costs over a $100 due to intensive labor involved. Before dissing someone, do a quick Google search.
Please. All the best.

Many people want to know if they can legally tint there front windshield.

It makes sense, it is the largest window on most cars and lets in the most heat. Tinting your front windshield can protect your dash, protect you from the sun and reduce your chances for skin cancer and dramatically reduce temperatures in your car. In addition it can also reduce glare, improve visibility, reduce eye fatigue and protect you from flying glass should your glass break.
Most people think of tint as being dark which can reduce visibility, but advances in film technology has made it possible to have an almost clear film that reduces more heat than many of the darker films and improves day and night time visibility.
So can you tint your windshield legally?
The department of transportation "DOT" says that you can apply a protective coating as long as the total VLT doesn't go darker than 70%. As long as you use a film that has a VLT of 90% or higher then you will still be legal. According to DOT laws you can have window tint on your front windshield.
Currently the only film you can use to meet federal laws for the front windshield is Crystalline 90%. All newer cars have a very light tint to the windshield, usually 77% to 80%. If you put anything darker than 90% you will not meet federal laws.
Crystalline 90 does not change the look of the windshield and will not affect visibility in or out. Crystalline 90 is the film we recommend for front windshields and is almost clear and virtually undetectable. It is also DOT legal to have on your front windshield. 3M Crystalline is currently the most advanced window tint on the market.

tinting windshield - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive