Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:42 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Vehicles of this level of originality/restoration transcend this kind of logic. Museum quality should not be drove around and abused, it should be preserved as a piece of history.
I agree and some cars should be in a museum, but Mustangs need to break lose and be driven. Here's a pic of my 1973 Mustang Mach I Tribute. She's never be concourse as the cash isn't around and Mustang Sally wants me to drive her whenever I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Concourse restorations-optimized-stang4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 10:51 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Automotive restoration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are different levels of automotive repair. The highest quality level, generally unobtainable for the amateur restorer, is the Concours d'Elegance level; these are cars that are frequently restomoded to a degree often beyond the quality that they were when they left the factory. There are virtually no deficiencies in the quality of the parts that were actually restored. Those parts that did not come on the car as it was first sold must have the highest level of fit and finish, and appear to have been original parts. Many Concours d'Elegance cars are not driven except for the short distances from their trailers to the show field.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:09 AM

Too me a Concours quality car looks like this:

Old 08-17-2013, 11:28 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Too me a Concours quality car looks like this:
No offense but it is impossible to make that determination by looking at a photograph. I think your misunderstanding is that you think such a classification is restricted to certain genres of automobile. That is incorrect.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
No offense but it is impossible to make that determination by looking at a photograph. I think your misunderstanding is that you think such a classification is restricted to certain genres of automobile. That is incorrect.
My point is that more Classic owners are people that will drive them. Concours-grade cars are finished with only OEM, or better including paint. No reproduction parts are allowed. There is a classic class at the Concours D'Elegance, but very few cars of any year meet the standard.

The real point is that Concours is a mis-used term that people claim like NOS (new old stock). Here's an example:
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...o/1587010.html
They claim Concours, but go on to admit the tires are reproductions.

Last edited by MrWillys; 08-17-2013 at 12:17 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 12:45 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
I keep seeing "concourse" restorations listed all over the place. I must have been in the bathroom when someone officially changed "concours" to "concourse".

Both are spelled correctly--but are different words with different meanings.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
The paint must be Lacquer for a 60's resto
wrong. the paint must be the correct type used by the manufacturer. that means a GM car must have a lacquer finish, but a ford brand must have an enamel finish as that is the paint type used by ford starting in the 30s. as a quick note about that, henry ford hated GM and was incensed that he had to use lacquer based paints on his cars due to GM owning the company that made the paints used in automotive applications, so he went on a quest to develop enamel based paints to spray on fords. ford used enamels until well into the 80s, when they changed paint types, only to go back to the newer enamels in the late 90s.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I keep seeing "concourse" restorations listed all over the place. I must have been in the bathroom when someone officially changed "concours" to "concourse".

Both are spelled correctly--but are different words with different meanings.
Concours is not a known word in the English language. You may want to go back to the bathroom, and find out what is missing. It must be important for you.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:44 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,973,619 times
To me, "concours" means above the average when it comes to vehicles.
It also has a ring of "snobbishness" in that many who own a concours vehicle tend to feel they are on a higher level than we lower class slobs.
My way of thinking is, concours is a museum piece, and that equates to a piece of art.
Classic vehicles like any other vehicles, are meant to be driven.
If you want art, go to a museum.
I have a 66Tbird that is a five year old restoration.
Though it is not a concours vehicle, it is every bit a museum piece to me.
I enjoy it for it artistic and classic style, and use it as it was intended.
It is driven most every day, but never on rainy days.
I need no trophies, or high end judging from some snobbish group of wannabees.
What I DO get satisfaction in, is knowing I have a real beautiful car, and I hear that comment each and every time I take it for a spin.
This concours stuff, in my opinion is way overblown.

Bob.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:44 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Concours is not a known word in the English language. You may want to go back to the bathroom, and find out what is missing. It must be important for you.
The English definition of 'concourse':

1.A large open area inside or in front of a public building, as in an airport or train station: "the domestic arrivals concourse".
2.A crowd or assembly of people.

would apply to the quality of a restoration how? I couldn't find that missing definition in the bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive