Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,453,854 times

Advertisements

What is the point of questioning what someone purchases unless you're the one making the payment and putting the gas in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:19 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,098,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
most overrated of all the rice rockets "SKYRINE!!!!!"
What other rice rockets (in this class) are there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Launch a AWD turbo. I mean really launch it. You will understand why people buy them. I had a 91 GMC Syclone and that thing was a animal off the line. Back then I used to shame Porsches, Vettes and even a few Ferraris off the line. i git smoked on the top end but light to light they couldnt hold a candle to it. Nobody knew WTH it was at that time. I just looked like a young guy in a S10 that had a body kit. Paid 18k fir it which was a lot back then. Too bad it got stolen 8 months later.
My buddy has a Subaru WRX ( VRX?) and that thing s crazy fast for a little matchbox.
I think the OP is referring to the AWD vehicles that people buy that never see a small fraction of their performance potential. Yes, a Syclone, Lambo, GT-R, and similar cars benefit significantly from AWD. But for every one of those there are 1000 other AWD vehicles whose throttles never go past halfway, never pull more than half a G, and the worst condition they ever see is wet pavement.

My aforementioned buddy is a perfect example. The one time I drove his AWD A4 I took a banked onramp off of I485 at about 65, which based on his reaction was at least 25 MPH faster than he'd ever done it. He had no clue how to drive his car, but bragged about the AWD effects all the time. His wife has had two AWD vehicles, and she was even more clueless, but has no interest. A coworker had an STi, and thought yanking the wheel into a turn while letting off of the gas was a good dsiplay of AWD.

People who could actually benefit from AWD (bad weather and other slippery driving conditions, extreme performance, etc.) should buy it if they choose. The 95% who won't, shouldn't, unless the vehicle they want can't be purchased otherwise. The rest of us manage with RWD or FWD just fine.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:04 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,706,982 times
Agree with OP. Completely unnecessary if you live in a warm climate and never go up into the mountains during inclement weather.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:09 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,653,799 times
Performance from a stoplight or at a dragstrip of course depending on the vehicle. "If you are spinning, you aint winning!"

Old 08-20-2013, 01:09 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,778,448 times
I didn't read past the first few pages, but to answer the OP, if you've ever had an Audi with Quattro, you wouldn't be asking the question.

From spirited driving on the twisties, to plowing through a rain filled gutter with ZERO pull to that side, it's amazing.
Will never own an Audi without Quattro again (i had one fwd, and only because they didn't offer a quattro version that year) and I live in south texas.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:28 PM

219 posts, read 655,252 times
The ideal would be to have two cars, one for fair weather commuting fuel econ. and another one for bad weather, outdoorsy stuff.

Even if i wasn't an outdoorsman in an area with tons of snowfall, if I could only own one car it'd be awd because, as the saying goes, better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it.

Not counting numerous winter commutes, the two times awd has really helped me have from muddy fields.

Once during a late season skiing trip. The warm weather attracted tons of skiers so the resort's parking lots were filled and they had people parking in this grass lot to the side. The weather turns, it downpours, the lot turns into a mudpit. Guess who the only people who are able to leave the lot on their own power are? AWD or 4x4. Everyone else had to wait while a tractor was brought in to tow them out one by one.

A similar story happened to me again recently at a carnival, rain comes in, parking lot turns to mush.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:57 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,653,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-a-thin View Post
The ideal would be to have two cars, one for fair weather commuting fuel econ. and another one for bad weather, outdoorsy stuff.

Even if i wasn't an outdoorsman in an area with tons of snowfall, if I could only own one car it'd be awd because, as the saying goes, better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it.

Not counting numerous winter commutes, the two times awd has really helped me have from muddy fields.

Once during a late season skiing trip. The warm weather attracted tons of skiers so the resort's parking lots were filled and they had people parking in this grass lot to the side. The weather turns, it downpours, the lot turns into a mudpit. Guess who the only people who are able to leave the lot on their own power are? AWD or 4x4. Everyone else had to wait while a tractor was brought in to tow them out one by one.

A similar story happened to me again recently at a carnival, rain comes in, parking lot turns to mush.
This is kind of why I have like 6 cars...yes 4 worked perfect until things went haywire!

Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 PM

3,462 posts, read 3,157,341 times
AWD's are more stable on wet pavement (it does rain in warm climates). Stability is especially important with the modern brake systems, add to that, the one eight of a car length per ten miles an hour people follow other cars.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:09 AM

4,315 posts, read 4,166,514 times
I have driven RWD for many years in the NorthEast without problem. Of course you need to learn how to drive properly in bad roads, wet, icy, muddy. You also proper tires. No big secrets there. It's a $ 500 fix, and in the grand scheme of things, it's peanuts.

Unless you use your vehicle for pulling in mudd, or other extreme uses -- the solution is inside your head, and a visit to the tire shop.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:16 AM

4,315 posts, read 4,166,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-a-thin View Post

These two examples are really so miniscule to the other times you have driven around without needing AWD / 4WD. In my view, if you don't use AWD/4WD in more than 20% of your days -- it's not really worth it.

For example, if you have a snowy uphill driveway to your house and live up the North, and you deal with snow and ice daily for 2-3 months out of the year-- then yes, a AWD / 4WD is justified IMHO.

If you live in New Orleans or Florida for example, learn how to drive in torrential rains / wet roads properly, and know thyself and your vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive