Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:05 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
What most of you don't realize is that an "automated ticket" can't stand up in court. They send them out hoping that people will pay up, but there is no way to actually enforce it. You could simply claim that you weren't even driving the car at the time the picture was taken (someone else was borrowing it, for example).

They can't make you pay a fine for something that they can't prove you did. If you fight any kind of "camera ticket" then it will be thrown out as long as you show that there is some doubt as to whether it is actually you who broke the law, which is pretty easy to do.
Brilliant. You have solved red light camera tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 02:57 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
What most of you don't realize is that an "automated ticket" can't stand up in court. They send them out hoping that people will pay up, but there is no way to actually enforce it. You could simply claim that you weren't even driving the car at the time the picture was taken (someone else was borrowing it, for example).

They can't make you pay a fine for something that they can't prove you did. If you fight any kind of "camera ticket" then it will be thrown out as long as you show that there is some doubt as to whether it is actually you who broke the law, which is pretty easy to do.
The one my husband got a picture of him driving his truck on it, so I'm nt sure how well your plan would work. The tickets are also reviewed by a police officer before being mailed out, so they're not 100% automated.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:03 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:

If your in law school, demand your money back.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:

wrong, the cameras take a picture of the driver of the car as well as the car, and the license plate, and a clear picture of the violation as well. and as noted below, they are civil charges, so unless you really can prove that someone else was driving the car, and remember they have the pictures in front of them, you have essentially lost before you walk into the court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Wrong. Red light camera tickets are civil fines not criminal charges. There is no court to fight it or get it thrown out. It has long been established that applying civil penalties to the owner is legal. It's the same thing as with toll road violations or parking tickets. Try fighting a parking ticket or towing charge on the grounds that it wasn't you who parked the car in the fire lane.

Technically, they can enforce the fine and could pursue you in court. Practically, it's not cost effective unless you have a huge number of violations. In some places they can put a hold on your vehicle registration renewal until outstanding tickets are paid. But it's really just a numbers game. They know a certain percentage of people will just pay up and they can churn out more tickets by putting in another camera.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:46 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
A bike rack in the back is best. And you do not need the bike on it. Just enough top block a number or two. If you drive through Washington DC it will be very useful.
Or just get a can of this.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:39 PM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The guy gives you a one sentence response and you tell him to settle down? You're the one getting all hyper over it and typing out paragraphs.

How is the emergency response vehicle going to get through that mile long line of cars? How are you obstructing the path any more ten feet past the line than behind the line?

Um, how are you blocking cross traffic? When the light turns red and opposing traffic stops and it is green for cross traffic, then you are clear to proceed. You have a 30 foot headstart on the cross traffic. It is the same distance from the center of intersection to the edge of intersection you are turning to as it is from the edge of intersection of waiting traffic to the center. You will have completed your turn by the time they get to where you were sitting.
I stated an opinion and he answers with exclamation points as though his opinion over rules all others, lol. I answered in paragraphs to explain my point a little better so that my previous post wasn't perhaps misinterpreted.

Without getting hyper...

I am referring to an emergency response vehicle coming from the cross traffic not with the flow of traffic. If one is sitting in the middle of an intersection with the flow of traffic they are blocking cross traffic. As far as the light goes you explained the same way I did...when your light turns red and the cross traffic turns green your clear to proceed with your turn. The problem is when their light turns green they cant go because you are in the process of turning. How would I have completed my turn before they get to where I was when our paths cross? Perhaps I am explaining it wrong, but I don't want to start another topic so lets just forget it. I originally posted to explain my experience and it turned into this.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:47 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
You are right. Though not an excuse, as I stated previously, sometimes the yellow lights in NJ seem to last longer than the green light itself. Did not think the light was going to change that quickly or I would have come to a complete stop.

On the topic of a red light camera... for intersections that have a green arrow, I wish those that miss that green arrow and pull into the middle of the intersection and wait to turn should get a ticket. SOme people dont get a chance to make that turn until the light turns red and the opposing traffic comes to a stop...now they are not only in the middle of the intersection but they are preventing the people that get the green light going in the other direction from proceeding. Sitting in the middle of an intersection is also a problem if an emergency response vehicle needed to get through for some reason. I think these impatient drivers that cant wait 2 minutes until the next green arrow should be ticketed by these red light cameras. There is no reason they cannot wait behind the white line and look for an opportunity to turn and if they get that chance...good for them, if not wait for the arrow just dont be an obstruction.
Sorry, but I disagree with you again. Moving to the middle of the intersection can allow you to quickly turn if there is an opportunity to sneak between heavy traffic plus it moves traffic along because once the light turns yellow, you can complete your turn right before the other direction's light(s) turn green (there is a delay between the one set of lights turning red and the others turning green). In my experience, I have never blocked others from proceeding.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:56 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,045 times
Quote:

Not sure your intended purpose in writing that post but...yes, case closed. Ticket has been paid, and I learned my lesson.

I was just merely sharing my experience with the red light camera, not complaining. I am also not condoning driving through a red light as I am a stickler for idiot drivers. Yes the red light camera did its job even though the pictures provided did not clearly show any indication that I went through a red light.

There is not a law that says you need to stop for a yellow light. In NJ yellow lights are sometimes as long as the green light, lol. I slowed down almost to a complete stop and looked to make sure no one was in a hurry to make a last minute turn from the opposite direction. As I noticed there were no cars in that lane I proceeded and once I did the light turned red. Was I suppossed to stop again with the front end of my car in the intersection?
Quote:

I slowed down almost to a complete stop
Quote:

Was I suppossed to stop again
stop again??

I'm sure I just missed the part where you stopped the first time.....

Old 08-23-2013, 06:01 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,457 times
Quote:
I stated an opinion and he answers with exclamation points as though his opinion over rules all others, lol. I answered in paragraphs to explain my point a little better so that my previous post wasn't perhaps misinterpreted.

Without getting hyper...

I am referring to an emergency response vehicle coming from the cross traffic not with the flow of traffic. If one is sitting in the middle of an intersection with the flow of traffic they are blocking cross traffic. As far as the light goes you explained the same way I did...when your light turns red and the cross traffic turns green your clear to proceed with your turn. The problem is when their light turns green they cant go because you are in the process of turning. How would I have completed my turn before they get to where I was when our paths cross? Perhaps I am explaining it wrong, but I don't want to start another topic so lets just forget it. I originally posted to explain my experience and it turned into this.
With the emergency vehicle approaching via cross traffic, it will slowly proceed with lights blaring, therefore traffic continuing straight through will yield and allow you to quickly turn. In one second, the intersection is now clear. You're clearly overthinking that scenario.

Next, as the other poster explained, if the cross traffic's lights turn green and you're in the middle of the intersection, we can assume you're beginning to turn left. The distance from the center to the left is the same as the distance from where they're starting to the center. Literally, there is no way you can obstruct traffic with this method. It should move through fluidly and those who stay behind the line only cause more traffic.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:10 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Sorry, but I disagree with you again. Moving to the middle of the intersection can allow you to quickly turn if there is an opportunity to sneak between heavy traffic plus it moves traffic along because once the light turns yellow, you can complete your turn right before the other direction's light(s) turn green (there is a delay between the one set of lights turning red and the others turning green). In my experience, I have never blocked others from proceeding.
Except when someone runs the light in the other direction. Then you don't have time to turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive