Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

My daughter lost the last key to our truck. (I was really mad at her). My wife called one of those 800 numbers where they get someone out right away to make oyu a key. They came out three days later after a bunch of excuses and made one key for $400.

Then I lost that key (not I cannot be mad at my daughter any longer ). My wife got a recommendation from our mechanic, the guy came out the next day and made four keys for $150. With one other car where we lost all the keys (we do that too often) we took the vin number and proof of ownership to the dealer and they made a key for us. However I think it was still $80 - $100. The dealership said they could not make a key for this truck, I am not sure why, I did not go.

Anyway the point is I wanted to warn people away from those 800 numbers you find on the internet. Just get a good reference and and get a price up front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 05:28 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
If I find any keys that wash up on the Amherstburg shore, should I let you know? lol

Old 08-25-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
If I find any keys that wash up on the Amherstburg shore, should I let you know? lol
Please do. they have to be somewhere. Each time we lose one, the person is certain they left it on the kitchen island. Maybe the dog is eating them. We have lost 5 keys for that dumb truck. My Camaro came with one key and a fob. Bought it in 1995. Still have the same key and remote fob. Not sure what is up with the truck keys.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:45 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
WOW, Coldjensens . . . 400 bucks for one lousy key?

Is it SOLID GOLD?

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 08-25-2013, 06:48 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I have gone right to the car dealership, they can make the keys and they are only a few dollars.....unless you have that new key fob...those are pricey to replace. Go have duplicates made immediately....Each of you keep one in the house, just in case. Good luck

Old 08-25-2013, 07:21 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
I remember when copies of car keys cost .79 cents!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:06 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Yeah, have you ever thought of having a couple of sets of spares made and put into a safe place in the house ? Even the keys with chips can be made, if you have the original there for them to duplicate. Whenever I buy a new car and if it only comes with one set, I immediately have a set or two made and I put one in my dresser at home and one at my shop.

With your propensity for losing them, I would think you would have done that a long time ago.

Don

Old 08-25-2013, 08:27 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
I am done with my hobby for the day, so I am packing up the van.
Back gate is *up*.
I am now done with packing stuff up and can not find my key.
After looking all over the place, I decide to call the wive, an hour plus, away.
She comes to pick me up, while I am waiting under the open gate
(sun is burning hot .. no good waiting *in* the car ---)
She arrives, I slam the gate down, and there are the keys ...

Wive would not talk for me for hours ...
I now do have a spare key at some *secret* place on the car !
Cost was 85 green ones !
I assume it is of the Passive Chip (no batteries required) inside the handle of the key which has to match the circuitry in car.
That doohicky and the programming thereof, must be the high cost.
If the key has remote control capabilities, the cost is probably also higher !
Justified to be that high ? I have no comment on that.
I hope I will remember where that secret place, when it happens again.

Last edited by irman; 08-25-2013 at 08:39 PM..

Old 08-25-2013, 08:33 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Please do. they have to be somewhere. Each time we lose one, the person is certain they left it on the kitchen island. Maybe the dog is eating them. We have lost 5 keys for that dumb truck. My Camaro came with one key and a fob. Bought it in 1995. Still have the same key and remote fob. Not sure what is up with the truck keys.

You need a bowl next to the door or something lol

I'll let you know if I find anything.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yeah, have you ever thought of having a couple of sets of spares made and put into a safe place in the house ? Even the keys with chips can be made, if you have the original there for them to duplicate. Whenever I buy a new car and if it only comes with one set, I immediately have a set or two made and I put one in my dresser at home and one at my shop.

With your propensity for losing them, I would think you would have done that a long time ago.

Don
We did do that a long time ago. We had five keys as I said. It took a long time to lose all five.

The dealers do not charge a couple of bucks. When we had them make one for another car, it was $80 - $100. They said they could not make one for this car. I do not know why, I was not involved (otherwise I would never have allowed the $400 guy to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive