Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 05:15 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,086,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Wouldn't it be more economical to buy a fast car that doesn't need to be street-legal, and either garage it at the track of tow it there? Imagine how much of the product cost is attributable to making it street-legal, when there is no need for it.
I've had both, my last car I sold wasn't street legal for much of its life, and it was a pain to take it back to street legal trim.

The best solution is to get a car that is basically a street legal race car, and only have to swap a set of tires/wheels to get good results with it, like a Porsche GT2 or GT3.

I converted my 911 Turbo to GT2 spec, wider front/rear tires, front bumper/rear spoiler, and various suspension pieces to make it handle/drive like a GT2, but kept the all wheel drive and most of the creature comforts. Best of both worlds. Now if I want to go to the track, all I do is put the stock wheels back on which have my track rubber on them.

I'm not at the point where I can go race the car enough to make it worth the investment to have a garage space at a track, I have to work 40 hours a week and have a little one on the way. If I was older and nearing retirement and had a more laid back schedule, I'd consider a track only car.

I did have a track only sportbike once, and that was pretty easy to live with, just load it up on the trailer and go racing. Track cars are more costly to store or take up too much room at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 05:18 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,086,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
How about a not so good video ? Next time I am going to put some real slicks on it instead of the 8 inch Firestones that had no bite through first or second.

013 - YouTube

Don
You're a brave man Don... that rollbar is going to do you NO good if you crash it!

Looks like a fun toy!

Old 08-27-2013, 05:30 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,967,450 times
If something happens with your "race" car at a race track, your insurance is going to ask questions.

Why were you there?
Did/do you race?

If they do cover the loss, they can do a few different things. They can make you sign an exception for the future regarding losses on a track. Increase your rates if you don't sign the exception. Drop your policy as its a high risk policy.

Believe it or not, if the damages are severe enough...they will spend time investigating the claim. They will see if videos are posted online. If there is a sign up sheet. Ask the race/promotion owner.

Its a very "cool" hobby but its also very expensive. It depends on the person if its worth the risk. Myself, I rather skydiving (again) than get into car racing...different type of risk.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
If something happens with your "race" car at a race track, your insurance is going to ask questions.

Why were you there?
Did/do you race?

If they do cover the loss, they can do a few different things. They can make you sign an exception for the future regarding losses on a track. Increase your rates if you don't sign the exception. Drop your policy as its a high risk policy.

Believe it or not, if the damages are severe enough...they will spend time investigating the claim. They will see if videos are posted online. If there is a sign up sheet. Ask the race/promotion owner.

Its a very "cool" hobby but its also very expensive. It depends on the person if its worth the risk. Myself, I rather skydiving (again) than get into car racing...different type of risk.

there is something strange about jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:09 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,967,450 times
I'm an aderaline junkie with my body. I constantly do stupid crap with my body because I find it fun and I push my limits doing so. My money, I'm a risk taker with my investments but not my purchases. I don't want to lose money because of a bad purchase ala liability.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
You ride a moped, right?
Right, because there's nothing between a moped and a 500hp muscle car

One of my cars has 300hp and it's preposterously overpowered. It's virtually impossible to get it much over 2000rpm without breaking the speed limit. It's a waste. I only have it because it's beautiful, but I don't drive it much.

Having a 500hp car because you might take it to the track one day a year is like commuting in a 6000-lb SUV to work every single day of the year because you might want to take your canoe to the lake next summer. That is to say, stupid, wasteful, and very, very popular

Either way, you're driving up the cost of fuel for everyone, not just yourself, and this would be readily apparent to everyone if they'd ever heard of supply and demand.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post

Either way, you're driving up the cost of fuel for everyone, not just yourself, and this would be readily apparent to everyone if they'd ever heard of supply and demand.
I took the long way home tonight. Sorry about that.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I'm an aderaline junkie with my body. I constantly do stupid crap with my body because I find it fun and I push my limits doing so. My money, I'm a risk taker with my investments but not my purchases. I don't want to lose money because of a bad purchase ala liability.
you have a lot more trust in people than i do.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I took the long way home tonight. Sorry about that.
But you were on your moped, right? No sweat.

Clear everyone else off the road and I might be able to use my measly 300hp in the way God intended

Old 08-27-2013, 08:39 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,036,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Right, because there's nothing between a moped and a 500hp muscle car

One of my cars has 300hp and it's preposterously overpowered. It's virtually impossible to get it much over 2000rpm without breaking the speed limit. It's a waste. I only have it because it's beautiful, but I don't drive it much.

Having a 500hp car because you might take it to the track one day a year is like commuting in a 6000-lb SUV to work every single day of the year because you might want to take your canoe to the lake next summer. That is to say, stupid, wasteful, and very, very popular

So you're openly admitting that you're a hypocrite.

You need to follow your own advice, or stop giving said advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive