Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 05:49 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,781 times

Advertisements

Speed limits? Would you rather be hit head on by a semi doing the speed limit or a 3000lb sports car doing 15 over?

Some people are so hung up on back and white rules, but can't think for themselves. If it OK for a 70,000lb semi to be doing the speed limit in the rain round a curve (perfectly legal), but someone doing 15 over in light traffic on a sunny day in their sports car is being dangerous. Which one do you think can stop quicker?

The sad thing is that you have to be doing twice the speed limit round corners to get any modern sports car to be fun and to test your driving skills. That's why I don't own one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 06:22 PM

56 posts, read 72,245 times
I drive a five year old Audi RS4, 6 speed manual, 420 hp.

For me personally, I like sleeper cars, 4-door sedans that are very fast, but love Detroit muscle also.

Look, I'm in my early 50's. I don't bling, my clothes come from TJ Maxx and Old Navy, I live pretty modestly for my income, clip coupons and only buy stuff that's on sale. I'm a minimalist and don't want to be surrounded by plastic junk from Wal-Mart that people love to fill their meaningless lives with.

There is only a few material things I want from life. A comfortable home, a high quality stereo/home entertainment system, and a kick azz car.

So sue me if this doesn't fit into the OP's vision. I'm sure he must have some high-end taste in something, but would rather question an impracticality he doesn't share.

Why ask someone why they need a Rolex. A $30 watch does the same thing. If someone likes it and can afford it, who cares.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:39 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny P'unk Square View Post

For me personally, I like sleeper cars, 4-door sedans that are very fast, but love Detroit muscle also.

Look, I'm in my early 50's. I don't bling, my clothes come from TJ Maxx and Old Navy, I live pretty modestly for my income, clip coupons and only buy stuff that's on sale. I'm a minimalist and don't want to be surrounded by plastic junk from Wal-Mart that people love to fill their meaningless lives with.

There is only a few material things I want from life. A comfortable home, a high quality stereo/home entertainment system, and a kick azz car.

So sue me if this doesn't fit into the OP's vision. I'm sure he must have some high-end taste in something, but would rather question an impracticality he doesn't share.

Why ask someone why they need a Rolex. A $30 watch does the same thing. If someone likes it and can afford it, who cares.
What does your A/V system consist of?

Old 09-01-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:

What does your A/V system consist of?
Well, it's good equipment, but not super high end. As you could tell from my post, I'm a cheapskate.

The heart of the system is a mid-range 12 year old NAD amp w/a separate Denon tuner, 12 year old B&W speakers w/a newer Polk center speaker. I have a couple turntables, but my old Pioneer that I bought in 1977 still works great. Everything else (TV/disc players/eq) is Best Buy quality Japanese stuff (Sony/Yamaha), nothing extraordinary. TV is only 40", I didn't want anything huge. It may not be the best, but it's better stuff than anyone that I know has personally.

I live in a old warehouse style loft apartment in the city, so I really can't blast it anyway, or I'll feel the wrath of my neighbors, lol.

Last edited by Johnny P'unk Square; 09-01-2013 at 09:00 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 09:18 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:

I thought you had a good post until you starting condemning people. That makes you one of "them".

Old 09-01-2013, 09:36 PM

404 posts, read 904,686 times
He was hardly condemning anyone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4

Old 09-01-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
He was hardly condemning anyone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4
Saying people have meaningless lives isn't condemning anyone? We'll have to disagree on that one.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:

I thought you had a good post until you starting condemning people. That
makes you one of "them".
Go to Wal-Mart often?

Look, my point with saying what I said was, I don't really spend money on trivial, foolish things. So the money I don't spend on needless crap, I roll over into a nice car. Seems most folks given the choice would rather have the crap than the car.

Also, if the comment seemed snide, it's just because my job brings me into peoples homes every day. I'm truly shocked at how much clutter/junk people possess, like they need to fill every cranny of their homes.

Admittedly, I'm single, so I have a handle on having too much sh1t.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Go to Wal-Mart often?

Look, my point with saying what I said was, I don't really spend money on trivial, foolish things. So the money I don't spend on needless crap, I roll over into a nice car. Seems most folks given the choice would rather have the crap than the car.

Also, if the comment seemed snide, it's just because my job brings me into peoples homes every day. I'm truly shocked at how much clutter/junk people possess, like they need to fill every cranny of their homes.

Admittedly, I'm single, so I have a handle on having too much sh1t.
So you get to decide what is trivial and foolish? You are just as bad as the people in this thread condemning people's choice of cars. Except you seem to do it with a lot more stuff.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:

RS4 is hardly a sleeper, any cop and kids know that RS4 badge and the front and rear look. If you want a serious sleeper, a modded volvo wagon.

400-500HP cars are only good at one thing and that's drink gas and make loud noises. There are hardly any civilian roads where one can truly experience 400-500HP safely. Any moron that says they've gone 140mph on a highway is just looking for a quick death one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive